Fireworks explode in face of Chaiyaphum festival volunteer, instantly killing him

snoop1130

Fireworks explode in face of Chaiyaphum festival volunteer, instantly killing him

By The Nation

a2b7c9b406ae0af397ea55abcb3fa733.jpeg

A 59-year-old man serving as a civil defence volunteer at a Chaiyaphum temple fair was instantly killed on Monday after picking up a seemingly half-lit giant fireworks pipe that then blew up in his face.

The incident took place at Wat Ban Muang Kao in tambon Ban Yang of Kaset Sombun district.

The annual temple fair is held to celebrate the community’s revered monk, the late Luang Phu Ton, who was born during the reign of King Rama III, said deputy inspector Pol Lieutenant Jetsarit Jamnongnit of Kaset Sombun Police Station. Jetsarit received the fatal explosion report at 9pm on Monday.

The victim Riang Phetchnam, 59, was identified as a civil defence volunteer at tambon Ban Han, who aided the temple fair’s organisers in clearing and cleaning a firework-lighting spot near the temple fence. He was checking a giant fireworks pipe that appeared to be half-lit when it blew up in his face and cut his trachea, resulting in instant death.

As the area was noisy and the fireworks-lighting spots were located far apart, it took others a while to discover Riang had been killed and to alert the police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30364390

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-19

Fireworks are very dangerous, and a great deal of training is needed, to handle them properly. In most countries, safety standards are in place. However in Thailand, public safety and traffic safety are the absolute last priority for all of the authorities. Hence, a lot of needless deaths and injuries.

Ouch! I have havent had a lot of experience with fireworks but bought some for new year and placed them directly on my roof and lit them through a man hole cover and then ducked down and waited for the booms. I have a modified shipping container house and its tough but the violent shake and sound was insane. The power is pretty intense. Why are they even able to purchased is my question. Anyone could fill a ballon with ballbearings, nails with one of these in the middle. Would do serious damage. Ive got 6left. Wondering if they are good soi dog deterrents...

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He was checking a giant fireworks pipe that appeared to be half-lit when it blew up in his face and cut his trachea, resulting in instant death

Moral of the story being: "don't look down the pipe when the fuse is lit"  !!!

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Fireworks are very dangerous, and a great deal of training is needed, to handle them properly. In most countries, safety standards are in place. However in Thailand, public safety and traffic safety are the absolute last priority for all of the authorities. Hence, a lot of needless deaths and injuries.

Really..

Does it say anywhere that this unfortunate guy looked into the pipe? No, I did not think so. Way to go armchair, expert. Sad day for his family and friends. It is unfortunate a person who was volunteering had to die. How many of you commenters are volunteers, by the way?

Geezer

Archived