Vinyl records

Baht Simpson

I know there are a number of record shops in Bangkok but I live upcountry where there are none. Does anyone know of any online companies where albums are for sale? I could import but that's costly.

I'm interested in classic rock, folk, classical, that sort of thing. Not Thai music.

Thanks.

I gave up vinyl when I bought my first CD player long time ago.

But I remember all the scratches which, it seems, were unavoidable after some time of use.

Out of curiosity:

How do you address this problem when you buy online?

Do you buy only brand new records? I guess there are not many around.

Or do you accept scratches?

Or do you think you will return the records if hey have more scratches than you are willing to accept?

I know there are many vinyl record shops in Fortune Town. No idea if they also sell online.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Ahh, what great memories riding my bicycle in the early sixties to the record shop to get the latest chart topper. And then home and play it a hundred times. Next week, rinse and repeat.

The latest chart topper was easy: Record with a cassette player from the radio.

Or maybe in your time you used a reel to reel machine?

il_570xN.410857338_c5wi.jpg

I've looked and a few Bangkok stores have Facebook websites but seemingly no online stores. There's obviously little demand for LP's here now. I guess the only option is for me to visit one or two when I'm next there. 

When I came here 13 years ago I gave away my albums. I use and enjoy digital music but I miss the physicality of vinyl.

7 hours ago, neeray said:

Ahh, what great memories riding my bicycle in the early sixties to the record shop to get the latest chart topper. And then home and play it a hundred times. Next week, rinse and repeat.

I remember as a teenager having to save up for months to buy a record. I guess kids don't have to do that now.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I gave up vinyl when I bought my first CD player long time ago.

But I remember all the scratches which, it seems, were unavoidable after some time of use.

Out of curiosity:

How do you address this problem when you buy online?

Do you buy only brand new records? I guess there are not many around.

Or do you accept scratches?

Or do you think you will return the records if hey have more scratches than you are willing to accept?

I know there are many vinyl record shops in Fortune Town. No idea if they also sell online.

If I buy online I'll accept surface scratches for second hand records; you can't really avoid that. There are an increasing number of new presses of older albums but they tend to be pricey.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The latest chart topper was easy: Record with a cassette player from the radio.

Or maybe in your time you used a reel to reel machine?

il_570xN.410857338_c5wi.jpg

I had a big Sony reel to reel, great sound quality but a pain to find a particular track.

Archived