Buying US dollars in Samui

finy

Or Lamai specifically.

I will need US dollars for Laos visa but it's not very easy to find people willing to sell them.

Instead of asking a dozen other places does anyone happen to know a bank/currency exchange where you can buy fresh US notes?

Cheers

I use to buy mine from SCB (bank) in Maenam, I however never tried to buy in Lamai, but should be the same in any SCB branch on the island. You might need to order in advance, if they don't have someone changing USD to baht the same day.

Most banks have selling prices for USD.

I also presume that all the Currency Exchange shops, almost all over the island now, would love to sell you USD.

10 hours ago, khunPer said:

I also presume that all the Currency Exchange shops, almost all over the island now, would love to sell you USD.

Although having zero idea about Samui this would be my first idea.

Thai banks are not too keen/professional with money exchange.

Ask the pro's whose main business is money exchange.

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Although having zero idea about Samui this would be my first idea.

Thai banks are not too keen/professional with money exchange.

Ask the pro's whose main business is money exchange.

Actually at Samui, the bank rates are lower/cheaper than the the exchange offices – just checked it for a friend a few weeks ago – but the smaller local branches might not store foreign currency overnight.

1 hour ago, finy said:

I'll look at big ones + the bank.

I've found they'll buy but won't sell.

If you travel by air, they will normally do exchange at the bank's airport branch. You could try to check in Samui Airport's departure check-in area, there's a Bangkok Bank exchange branch there (at the far end of the hall)...????

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

If you travel by air, they will normally do exchange at the bank's airport branch. You could try to check in Samui Airport's departure check-in area, there's a Bangkok Bank exchange branch there (at the far end of the hall)...????

Look at a site called daytodaydatadotnet

It gives every bank's exchange rate. At Suvarnabhumi airport, go to the floor with the train station. Lots of exchange places and better rates than the banks. (Super Rich etc)

In Bangkok - Vasu Exchange near Soi 9 (Nana station)

Archived