Kingston 120 GB SSD @ $ 21, but RAM stays expensive

WonnabeBiker

5 hours ago, WonnabeBiker said:

www.amazon.de sells a brand name Kingston 400 SSD with 120 GB for 18 Euros. But RAM stays expensive.

Accessing data in RAMS is 100s of times faster than in SSDs (see this). Which means, as Pib says above, the technology for RAMs is completely different and more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 10:46 AM, killerbeez said:

... By next year the 1TB SSDs will be $20.

Maybe SATA SSD's. What's more interesting is that M.2 NVMe are already hitting the limit of 4x PCIe 1.3 speeds. So what's next there? PCIe 1.4, or 8x PCIe?

On 2/20/2019 at 12:03 AM, shady86 said:

You won't see much difference moving from 8gb to 16gb ram and 240gb is more than enough in a typical system.

That is not so easy.

If the user has only one or a few programs open which don't use much RAM (in this case <8GB) then more RAM won't make it any faster.

But if the users has a lot of programs open or programs which need a lot of RAM then it's not so difficult to use more than 8GB. And if that happens the computer won't show a message that there is not enough RAM. It will just be a lot slower.

I.e. my current Windows session uses in the moment 6GB with not much open - not so far away from 8GB.

It's easy to check in the Task Manager how much RAM is currently used.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is not so easy.

If the user has only one or a few programs open which don't use much RAM (in this case <8GB) then more RAM won't make it any faster.

But if the users has a lot of programs open or programs which need a lot of RAM then it's not so difficult to use more than 8GB. And if that happens the computer won't show a message that there is not enough RAM. It will just be a lot slower.

I.e. my current Windows session uses in the moment 6GB with not much open - not so far away from 8GB.

It's easy to check in the Task Manager how much RAM is currently used.

It is that easy.

shady is right. SSD makes far more of a noticeable difference. With SSD you won't notice the slowdown you mention.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:46 AM, killerbeez said:

As computer users move to the much faster internal hard drives that are fixed directly to the motherboards, these SSDs will soon be at almost giveaway prices. By next year the 1TB SSDs will be $20.

'... fixed directly to the motherboard ...'  is that meaning some type of SSD integrated into the motherboard, or some other newer system / technology to store the data previously stored in spinning hard disk drives?

55 minutes ago, scorecard said:

'... fixed directly to the motherboard ...'  is that meaning some type of SSD integrated into the motherboard, or some other newer system / technology to store the data previously stored in spinning hard disk drives?

No, they just utilise the interface normally used for graphics cards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

3 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Maybe SATA SSD's. What's more interesting is that M.2 NVMe are already hitting the limit of 4x PCIe 1.3 speeds. So what's next there? PCIe 1.4, or 8x PCIe?

I meant, of course, PCIe Gen3 and PCIe Gen4. My brain generally runs much faster than my fingers, and sometimes, the signals get lost or distorted in the process.

4 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

I meant, of course, PCIe Gen3 and PCIe Gen4. My brain generally runs much faster than my fingers, and sometimes, the signals get lost or distorted in the process.

And I'm totally lost...

19 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

Don't worry, you're not alone..????

Thanks. I'm absolutely not a tech person, my notebook is about 5 years old, So i've been researching a bit re buying a new notebook and looking for a machine with SSD.

But the early posts in this thread made me think along the lines that maybe SSD is becoming overtaken my newer / different / better technology? 

I'm still lost.

49 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sorry, I don't understand, so it's replacing hard drive or SSD drive?

It's an SSD drive, but connected via the PCIe interface, as opposed to the previous SATA interface. 

The speed of the new drives exceed the capability of the previous/current interface. Hence the use of the PCIe interface.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Thanks. I'm absolutely not a tech person, my notebook is about 5 years old, So i've been researching a bit re buying a new notebook and looking for a machine with SSD.

But the early posts in this thread made me think along the lines that maybe SSD is becoming overtaken my newer / better options?

I'm still lost.

Just fit an SSD(SATA) to your current laptop. Will create an amazing difference.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

But the early posts in this thread made me think along the lines that maybe SSD is becoming overtaken my newer / different / better technology? 

I'm still lost.

NVMe drives are much faster, connecting directly onto the CPU bus, but not many older notebooks support this. Even new one's seldom come with the required connection (M.2).

Upgrading to an SSD in your current notebook will make it much faster and responsive. And now, the prices for even the large capacity SSDs are becoming quite affordable.

15 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

It is that easy.

shady is right. SSD makes far more of a noticeable difference. With SSD you won't notice the slowdown you mention.

Seems posting a silly laughing face is what OneMoreFarang considers intelligent comment. 

Of course I know it's because he had no argument in order to rebut my statement.

But in order to rebut the silly laughing face;

Look at the laptop with inadequate RAM of a mere 2GB, but fitted with SSD. Compare it the laptop with 8GB of RAM but fitted with an HDD.

The one with 2GB and fitted with SSD is much faster than the one with 8GB and HDD, but only marginally slower than the device with 8GB and SSD.

So the slowdown you mentioned on using a device with 8GB of RAM with SSD and 16GB of RAM with SSD, will be minimal, even under load. As shown by the evidence.

19 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

NVMe drives are much faster, connecting directly onto the CPU bus, but not many older notebooks support this. Even new one's seldom come with the required connection (M.2).

Upgrading to an SSD in your current notebook will make it much faster and responsive. And now, the prices for even the large capacity SSDs are becoming quite affordable.

Actually it's slightly more complicated than that. Many laptops have an M.2 slot, even from four years ago. The issue is whether that slot is SATA or PCIe.

Archived