Jump to content
BANGKOK 18 March 2019 20:56
eyecatcher

how do I make a brew?

Recommended Posts

I am a coffee drinker but not an officianado so my brew is boil the kettle and pour it over Moccano instant, finished. For me perfect, no fuss, quick and happy.

Introduce promprem!

Friends visiting Vietnam were asked to bring back some Mocha by the wife for the wife. Generosity brought us 2kg of mocha and 2kg of Arabica.

I would quite like to give it a try but our only coffee maker is one of those one cup 150ml stovetop 6 sided espresso makers which is firstly not very convenient for 2 people and secondly very awkward positioning over the flame.

 

I know they make a 300ml 2 cup size kettle but really I want a pot full and so does the wife.

 

I am not at all interested in the likes of entertaining a deLonghi 6k plus coffee maker nor one with fancy grinders and 12 buttons and functions for a breakfast brew, looking for something simple, electric, maybe filter papers....most important cheap so I can put any saving towards new tools which is far more important.

any ideas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy two coffee socks. Two 12 oz mugs. 3 tbs of coffee per sock. 4 minutes per brew. Yum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tea strainer, piece of kitchen paper roll folded up. Filter coffee done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a percolator for making stove top espressos, had to Google the name of as I had no idea..... Moka pot or Italian coffee maker. Since my coffee maker broke a year plus ago, I haven't even bothered getting a new one cause this pot is far superior in my opinion. A French press coming in a close second.
It makes 2 big mugs of americanos (espresso + hot water).

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just loving the diy cheap ideas, though a sock is not feasible mine all have holes in.

Keep em coming

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ThaiSauce said:

I use a percolator for making stove top espressos, had to Google the name of as I had no idea..... Moka pot or Italian coffee maker. Since my coffee maker broke a year plus ago, I haven't even bothered getting a new one cause this pot is far superior in my opinion. A French press coming in a close second.
It makes 2 big mugs of americanos (espresso + hot water).

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

Yes, thats the six sided useless contraption we have. Infact i told the wife its probably useful if you are going camping but thats all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ThaiSauce said:

I use a percolator for making stove top espressos, had to Google the name of as I had no idea..... Moka pot or Italian coffee maker. Since my coffee maker broke a year plus ago, I haven't even bothered getting a new one cause this pot is far superior in my opinion. A French press coming in a close second.
It makes 2 big mugs of americanos (espresso + hot water).

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

I had one at university (45 years ago), much better than the French press that always produced luke warm coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, thats the six sided useless contraption we have. Infact i told the wife its probably useful if you are going camping but thats all.
Maybe you have drank instant coffee for too long and ruined your taste for a good cup of coffee :p. I find it tastes better then any over priced drip coffee maker you can buy with less clean up and easy of use, in my opinion that is :)

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Buy whole bean, place as much as you want in coffee grinder, place in French press, add boiling water, wait however long you want, press strainer down in press forcing grounds to the bottom, pour, drink.

Agree, so easy, so quick, good coffee, so easy to make a second pot, so easy to clean up, and nowadays many in the shops at very reasonable price. A while back the kitchen ware department in Central at cats and cows Chiang Mai had quite a promotion, from very expensive french presses (coffee is no better) to cheapo prices, (good coffee), and from 1 cup to 6 cups.

 

 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I had one at university (45 years ago), much better than the French press that always produced luke warm coffee.

Easy answers to 'luke warm':

 

- Put maybe 2 cups of very hot water in the press for a minute or so to warm it, tip it out then make the coffee, all so simple.

 

- Fill the coffee mug or cup with very hot water, wait 1 minute or so, tip it out just before the hot coffee is ready to be poured into the mug or cup, so easy, so quick.

 

- Buy a small warming hot plate the right size for the french press or a coffee mug to sit on.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Easy answers to 'luke warm':

 

- Put maybe 2 cups of very hot water in the press for a minute or so to warm it, tip it out then make the coffee, all so simple.

 

- Fill the coffee mug or cup with very hot water, wait 1 minute or so, tip it out just before the hot coffee is ready to be poured into the mug or cup, so easy, so quick.

 

- Buy a small warming hot plate the right size for the french press or a coffee mug to sit on.

 

 

+1 for french press.  So simple & easy to use, for great tasting coffee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French press 👍🏼

Ive found that with the cheaper ones sometimes the plunger filter doesn’t seal as well as the better brands do.

With the stovetop percolator you can fill the cup 1/3 full with coffee from the pot then top off with boiling milk, like a late’. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...