Second hand car market experience

Tried One2Car website- a lot of cars say “contact seller”. Why not put the price? Km and year model quoted don’t match when inspecting car.

Tried many yards- a lot of cars sold on consignment with sales person knowing little about the car. The owner has the keys or the dealer not available so no choice but to move on. Little interest in trying to sell.

Compared with overseas experience where online ads must have price or the yard sales person bending over backwards to sell you the car, sometimes to the point of annoying you.

Any feedback on other online sites or dealers for 2-3 year old bmw or benz would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Those adds selling cars and trucks at unbelievable low prices are scammers...buyer be cautious... 

Stupid and unfounded comment. Have you ever been to Thailand?

Kaidee.com is a very popular website for Thais to buy and sell stuff.  You are dealing directly with the owner in most instances.  Easy to check the blue tabien rot book against the id of the seller.

The prices on Kaidee are realistic (Thai) market values, because the owners are not trying to sell to stupid farangs.  

The rest of the issues, hidden panel repairs, inferior replacement parts, et al are issues you must be mindful of when buying a car in any country.  Not just Thailand.

2 hours ago, sir charles IV said:

Thanks mate. There’s quite a few. Would be nice if there was an English version.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No problem.  Just use chrome browser and google translate.  The information in each listing is usually pretty basic so translates ok. Most sellers will also provide you with a Line ID. So you (or your Thai friend) can call them using video call and get the seller to give you an online tour of the car before you go to see it. That will help you to see it is ok and also to check that it is not a scam.

And yes the prices on Kaidee are cheap. Because they are the real prices Thai buyers pay. Not the inflated prices that idiot newbie foreigners pay.

Just remember to get a copy of the sellers ID and check that it is he or she that is listed as the owner in the blue book.

I always meet the seller at the transport office. Do the transfer there and then and when your name is in the blue book hand over the cash payment for the vehicle.  If it is a lot of money just go with the seller to a bank first and get a bank cheque in his name (he can see the cheque is real) then off to the transport office. Only hand the cheque over when your name is in the blue book.

Also make sure you do up a bill of sale and get the seller to sign it and a copy of his id card (which you staple to the bill of sale) and then keep these documents for your records.

Oh. and as a final point. Remember that most transport offices will require you have a certficate of residence from immigration when you apply to transfer the vehicle blue book into your name.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about finding what's called 'lease returns' in the US here in Thailand.

The big rental companies, Hertz etc, lease them new and then they go back to the car lot with under 10,000 miles, had regular maintenance, lots of warranty left. I worked at a car store in the US for a year and the guys who'd been in the biz for a long time pretty much all agreed they were often the best value, was what they bought themselves.

Does anyone know whether that's how it works here? It was usually the bigger dealerships that had access there ... who would that be here? 

Thanks!

DS

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 9:38 AM, MrKFC said:

I have a question about finding what's called 'lease returns' in the US here in Thailand.

The big rental companies, Hertz etc, lease them new and then they go back to the car lot with under 10,000 miles, had regular maintenance, lots of warranty left. I worked at a car store in the US for a year and the guys who'd been in the biz for a long time pretty much all agreed they were often the best value, was what they bought themselves.

Does anyone know whether that's how it works here? It was usually the bigger dealerships that had access there ... who would that be here? 

Thanks!

DS

No one, the leased vehicles are just released into the used market just like any other car.

additionally, leasing isn't common here because it is cheaper to buy than to lease. I've heard of a basic Vios lease going for 10k a month. The finance option usually 2000 baht cheaper.

• 1 month later...

Archived