1 year extension of marriage

Any problem solver here?

A person with Thai wife and a kid is trying to apply  for 1 year extension for marriage in BKK. Rented a unit but not able to get the required documents from the landlord.

Have the original rental agreement and all the required forms except the form which the landlord need to sign to verify his staying and also the landlord's residence form. Unit is rented under wife's name. 

How will he get the extension?

Guess that the authority needs to review this regulation. Someone genuine case with wife and family settling in Thailand, building up their future. Indirectly they are also generating income for Thailand.

Some landlords do not wish to provide personal information due to various reasons. This is understandable when landlord and tenant are not acquainted with each other. 

Perhaps they may allow a letter of confirmation from Condo office that this family is staying here.

I believe most of the condo office are familiar with the stayers.

The current law will only force the foreign spouse to apply for the Non-imm O if he can't get documents from landlord. 

Non-imm O needs to leave every 90days.

There are unnecessary expenses spent for 90 days leaving period. (travel expenses). And this expenses can fully utilize for the kid.

Why are they punishing him? 

• Like 1

For my first condo, I got the body corporate to provide a letter of confirmation, signed, with a copy of the ID card of the person signing the letter. This worked for 2 years. Wife explained position to Immigration, of owner unwilling to provide documents. For my new condo, just a signed copy of owner's ID card was provided, which seemed to satisfy Immigration. Owner was also unwilling to give copy of blue book. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, justjulian said:

For my new condo, just a signed copy of owner's ID card was provided, which seemed to satisfy Immigration. Owner was also unwilling to give copy of blue book.

That acceptance could change.  If here on a marriage-based extension, I would demand the landlord provide signed-copies the following, or not rent from them:

• Landlord's House Book
  • Landlord's ID (front and back)
  • House book of Rental
  • Chanote of Rental

So far, that list would work-around the "landlord docs" trick used at many offices now.  Sad to see Chang Wattana getting so sickeningly corrupt under the new leader - pulling this trick, and the "back door" extra months money-seasoning during 'under consideration', also.  It used to be the one office where you could count on everything being done "by the book" every time.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:
19 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's crazy when you think about it. You're still married, still have a kid to support but need to move house because someone who's not in any way related to your situation doesn't want to show a piece of paperwork.

Why are immigration pulling this kind of shit ? It's almost like they don't want to do their job and issue any extensions of stay.

Because they try to force as many as possible to use agents, at which point all the financials, landlord-docs, witness, home-visits, etc magically disappear.

No "they" don't. You are generalising again based on your own limited experience at one office. I have never been told or forced to use an agent and don't know anyone else that has either.

The 'system' is not set up for agents. Some agents take advantage of the system with the help of corrupt IO's who can put together the required documents for the file to support the extension approval. A system that only works with corrupt foreigners too.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's crazy when you think about it. You're still married, still have a kid to support but need to move house because someone who's not in any way related to your situation doesn't want to show a piece of paperwork.

Why are immigration pulling this kind of shit ? It's almost like they don't want to do their job and issue any extensions of stay.

It was this stupidity from HH immigration years ago that pushed me into doing yearly multis from Penang, even after buying property the thought of dealing with immigration made me tremour with anxiety and I continued with the multi O

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

No "they" don't. You are generalising again based on your own limited experience at one office. I have never been told or forced to use an agent and don't know anyone else that has either.

The 'system' is not set up for agents. Some agents take advantage of the system with the help of corrupt IO's who can put together the required documents for the file to support the extension approval. A system that only works with corrupt foreigners too.

Dishonest (corrupt) applicants paying for faked-requirements is another can of worms - though related, in that the IOs become dependent on the extra-money like drug addicts, wanting more and more.

The OP is having problems at Chang Wattana - sad, since CW used to be an office where honest-applications were always doable.  My latest block was in rural-Issan ("pension income only" - the "landlord-docs" trick was in Jomtien, where I lived prior).  The last poster caught hell in HH.  Others report similar problems all over the country every day here.  It's the Same Manure, Different Offices.

The "system" allows IOs to create "extra rules."  The "extra rules" - like this landlord-doc bull - are created as a tee-up to immigration's agent partners.  Ideally, IOs creating an "extra rule" would be illegal, and the IO would be shamed, fired and jailed - as this activity is clearly intended to "manufacture" agent-business from honest applicants. 

Honest foreigners who want to stay with their Thai families can try their best to get their extension honestly - but what do do when the IOs are inventing unrelated junk-requirements, added specifically because they know a percentage of applicants will be unable to supply comply (like the OP), so be forced to pay agents?

I know there are some "friendly" offices out there.  Unfortunately, my wife's village is not in their jurisdiction.  If I could get Scotty to "beam" our village over to one of those, that would be great.  Until then, I just thank my lucky stars they haven't shut down the Non-O-ME Visa alternative.

• Like 1