Open a bank account being a tourist

Fedexpat

13 hours ago, champers said:

There are no hard and fast rules sbout this. Some banks will say no and some will say yes. I suggest heading to a mall near you and keep asking. Your passport will be sufficient documentation. 1000 Baht should be enough money.

Thank you for your answer 

It's ages ago (2009), but Kasikorn Bank at Royal Garden (beach rd.) was very easy at the time.

Passport, business card of my hotel and a small deposit was enough.

Can't tell whether it's still that easy.

At the same time a Bangkok Bank branch asked for a certificate of residence from immigration which would hardly be available.

Always make it clear that you want a savings account (only).

No deposit account, no credit card etc. (impossible as a tourist).

The first thing they will ask you will be: do you have a work permit? Your answer as tourist will be NO. At some banks they will tell you: not possible to open an account.

But it is possible:

Bangkok Bank experience of last year:

-register an address were you stay at the amphur. Can be done with the help of the owner of the house ( without an add it will be very difficult just as opening an account in your home country)

-have a Thai guaranter : best is a Thai working as civil servant

-apply for a saving account

-put some money on it to open the account

-when have the account ask a DEBIT card so you can use ATM

-apply for pc banking

I did it this way for a friend staying every year 3 months in Thailand.

57 minutes ago, sencelebi said:

I opened an savings account at Bangkok Bank. All you need is your passport and house registration from the lanlord.

All depends on "what is the flavor of the day".  

Bangkok Bank offers the Swift confirmation from your home bank. This is the easiest way but it will take a few days until msg gets from HQ to branch where you applied. 

It is a lot easier than residence confirmation from embassy Bangkok Bank insisted on when my partner opened an a/c recently.

In Krabi, for me with no work permit, Bangkok Bank wanted a confirmation of immigration status from the immigration office (which they would not give me without an address book), or some unspecified letter from my embassy, or other difficult-to-get things, depending on what day I went and who I talked to.

Back in 2011, I opened an account in Pattaya with Kasikorn on a 30 day stamp.

Retired here (first time) in 2012.

Had to return to Australia for medical reasons in 2016.

Retired here (second time), one month ago.

When I left in 2016, I didn't leave enough money in the Kasikorn account and consequently, fees and charges ate up my balance which caused kasikorn to close the account.

Currently on a 30 day stamp.

Two weeks ago, I visited 12(yes, 12) banks here in Pattaya and none would allow me to open an account without having a 'retirement visa'.

I need a bank account to get a 'retirement visa' but, I need a 'retirement visa" to open a bank account.

If OVER 50 and you plan .... retirement here ... you do need a bank account for immigration documents.

I literally had no choice but to bite the bullet and pay a visa agent to get me a 'retirement visa'. I will, however, be able to do annual extensions on my own.

I don't have an answer for the OP, but clearly day after day it becomes more and more difficult to open a Thai Bank account in Pattaya, even for guys needing one for Retirement. :sad:

A few branches will insist on Work Permit, but most other will now insist on a Non-Imm visa, if not on a 1-Year Non-Imm Visa (or extension)

There are many banks & branches in Pattaya, so just make some Walk & Try until Success :cool:

PS: Being accompanied by someone already customer in the branch can help :wink:.

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody successfully opened a bank account while being a tourist in pattaya area?

If so could you please tell in which bank u opened your account ? and which documents did you need to provide ? 

Thanks.
I opened a second account on a tourist visa a couple days ago. It wasn't easy, you may need to try many branches.
What you need is Passport, rental contract, you may be asked for Residence Certificate, i was asked for 6 months of rental invoices. Its really random, each bank is different each branch different each person perhaps different.

One Kasikorn branch wanted a 1 year visa. Another wanted 3 months visa.

Try many branches, no need to pay commission or insurance etc. Don't bother with Central Festival, they are the worse for expecting you to buy 6k insurance

On 2/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, Jlop said:

In Krabi, for me with no work permit, Bangkok Bank wanted a confirmation of immigration status from the immigration office (which they would not give me without an address book), or some unspecified letter from my embassy, or other difficult-to-get things, depending on what day I went and who I talked to.

i think either bangkok bank just aren't interested in foreigner bank accounts, or they are really 'on it' and are correctly applying BOT regulations. anyway... BB wanted  a letter from my embassy, Kbank just wanted to see my passport and address. Kbank got my business.

if i was a bank manager in a foreigner area i'd want to syphon up all the foreigners wanting to deposit 800,000 baht; advertise to the ex-pat community and have an english speaking member of staff available - it's got to be good for the branch balance sheet, and minimal risk

Today it's very difficult to open new accounts , what we need is recent successfull stories about this.  

I opened 4 Kasikorn accounts in Pattaya, Bangkok and Chiang Mai, but that was some years ago. Different times now.  

The foreigner friendly branch in Royal Garden has closed. 

I would try Big C Xtra, central road and the Kasikorn branch there, very busy with foreigners . But you need to show them at least a 60 day tourist visa , rental contract and maybe a residence certificate from immigration. 

tried a few months ago, tried a number of banks in Central Festival,

all the banks required a Visa (not the Free Visa Exempt), but a longer term visa, it was the first thing every bank asked for/about,

i think Bangkok bank will open an account on a Visa Exempt but to open the account it will cost like 7000baht

20 hours ago, JamieLambo said:

tried a few months ago, tried a number of banks in Central Festival,

all the banks required a Visa (not the Free Visa Exempt), but a longer term visa, it was the first thing every bank asked for/about,

i think Bangkok bank will open an account on a Visa Exempt but to open the account it will cost like 7000baht

In Ao Nang, some banks only accept a work permit. If you are retired, they want to see a long-term visa and various other documents. Bangkok bank has clear rules for foreigner accounts (and much more) in English online. Print the relevant page and show it to a manager, as staff may not know the rules. From the online brochure:

Opening an account
At Bangkok Bank, we’ve had a lot of experience helping foreigners do their banking activities. We can help you quickly  set up an account.
Even if you are in Thailand for only a short visit, you can open a savings account and get a debit card, which are convenient and cost-effective ways to manage your everyday finances. 
What documents will you need when opening an account?

Tourists include the following visa types: Tourist, Transit, Visa on Arrival, Exemption Visa, Non-Immigrant MT and S:
1. Passport
2. ONE of the following documents:
2.1 A letter of recommendation from an embassy, internationalorganization, your homebank (sent via SWIFT), a personacceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as a BBL staff member or customer, government officer or company executive), or from a national institution of your home country (such as pension fund); 
2.2 Another document showing your name and address such as document showing ownership of a fixed asset, or condominium sale/purchase agreement (note bank told me this property must be in Thailand).

Archived