Cleaning up after buying a used notebook

Agusts

the industry needs something fresh.

Bring back the Amiga , pimped to 2020 spec of course.

I used to work in a commodore retail outlet. Those days, things with computing were new and exciting. The shop always packed with customers looking for the latest games and add ons. Ahhh the good old days.

This new Acer Swift 1 SF114 has arrived and it seems fine to me, it is what I wanted, light, no fan, portable and so far so good...Great battery life.

- The Kerry Express delivery guy would not let me open the box to check anything, I selected pay on delivery and thought I can check the merchandise, but it is not possible - I guess they had people messing them around, fair enough, just be warned.

- The Acer original box seemed sealed and genuine, but I didn't like some of the bloatware, also main OS language is set to Thai, so to be sure did a Windows 10 full reset with delete all user files. Went well, still there are some Acer and MS rubbish you need to remove after.

- I wanted a FHD and got it, 1900x1080, but on a 14" inch screen, it is a bit small and tiny to read stuff - I use 115% scale now... So perhaps a 15" is better for FHD, but then it will be heavier and not so portable.

- The only other thing is the Thai keyboard, I can't stand all the Thai characters, I thought I get a black nail polish and black them out, but I think that won't last long, any other ideas... !? (I really want a UK layout, but US one is not too bad, but the Thai stuff makes it so clottered...)

4 hours ago, Agusts said:

This new Acer Swift 1 SF114 has arrived and it seems fine to me, it is what I wanted, light, no fan, portable and so far so good...Great battery life.

- The Kerry Express delivery guy would not let me open the box to check anything, I selected pay on delivery and thought I can check the merchandise, but it is not possible - I guess they had people messing them around, fair enough, just be warned.

- The Acer original box seemed sealed and genuine, but I didn't like some of the bloatware, also main OS language is set to Thai, so to be sure did a Windows 10 full reset with delete all user files. Went well, still there are some Acer and MS rubbish you need to remove after.

- I wanted a FHD and got it, 1900x1080, but on a 14" inch screen, it is a bit small and tiny to read stuff - I use 115% scale now... So perhaps a 15" is better for FHD, but then it will be heavier and not so portable.

- The only other thing is the Thai keyboard, I can't stand all the Thai characters, I thought I get a black nail polish and black them out, but I think that won't last long, any other ideas... !? (I really want a UK layout, but US one is not too bad, but the Thai stuff makes it so clottered...)

Keyboard skin with print from AliExpress.

Screenshot_20190301-213432.png

20 hours ago, stud858 said:

Keyboard skin with print from AliExpress.

Screenshot_20190301-213432.png

Erm...what makes you think it is printed??

I have these covers on all of my laptops and none of them are printed on. 

Is it in the description or did you just decide for yourself?

5 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Erm...what makes you think it is printed??

I have these covers on all of my laptops and none of them are printed on. 

Is it in the description or did you just decide for yourself?

If you go to www.aliexpress.com and search for the item and read the descriptions you will see they offer the clear type and all sorts of colourful options with print.

I try to always avoid deciding for myself or relying on assumption because I'm not smart enough.

5 hours ago, stud858 said:

If you go to www.aliexpress.com and search for the item and read the descriptions you will see they offer the clear type and all sorts of colourful options with print.

I try to always avoid deciding for myself or relying on assumption because I'm not smart enough.

It seems that you are right, Funny, as I actually looked at the covers for the Swift there just yesterday..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Acer-Swift-3-SF314-52-SF314-54-Swift-1-SF114-32-14-inch-Silicone-Keyboard/32892447116.html

18 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I can't find exact items on Lazada,  this Ali Express has local Thai items and accepts pay on delivery ...!? 

For shopping on AliExpress you need to setup payment. I did it with my Visa card.

You pay upfront and get AliExpress purchase protection much like eBay offer.

I have been refunded by AliExpress for non arrival of items and fake items. I recommend that it is safe.

Worst case I could buy for you and have it shipped to your address. Will take a few weeks to get to you. 

There is no better way to shop.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:18 AM, stud858 said:

the industry needs something fresh.

Bring back the Amiga , pimped to 2020 spec of course.

I used to work in a commodore retail outlet. Those days, things with computing were new and exciting. The shop always packed with customers looking for the latest games and add ons. Ahhh the good old days.

I was on my first oil-patch training course in Dallas, TX when this came out. Three guys in my class rushed out and bought them and were faced with lugging them half-way around the world to get home. I wasn't one of 'em.

trs-80.jpg.73cae2558032748d29979e76cee17d5b.jpg

Archived