Politicians tell the Army chief to remain neutral

webfact

It is good for the army to be criticized, as they do absolutely nothing for the nation. They do not carry their weight on any level. And for them to be controlling the nation through politics is beyond the pale. Get them out. Get them out now. The elections cannot come soon enough, and I am confident they will be trounced. By anyone with a pulse. They are universally despised here in Thailand. 

52 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Always mow with your turret covering your flank 

That's Thai mind out for side stabbers before they get your back????

Dining etiquette, "knives in the right hand, forks in the back".

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is good for the army to be criticized, as they do absolutely nothing for the nation. They do not carry their weight on any level. And for them to be controlling the nation through politics is beyond the pale. Get them out. Get them out now. The elections cannot come soon enough, and I am confident they will be trounced. By anyone with a pulse. They are universally despised here in Thailand. 

In the words of my Thai partner today who I feel is a microcosm of the Thai people (non elite I'm proud to say),

"I feel that Prayut is not honest and has greed, corruption and power without dignity. And Thai people, almost the whole country, will certainly not be satisfied if he wins. And throughout the time he worked as prime minister almost all Thai people condemn and laugh at the foolishness that Thailand has as a fool". (spoken like a true Thai).

Interesting times lie ahead.

Tis indeed a very sad situation, but what worrys me is that the pillock in charge along with his mates are not going to walk away no matter what happens. I've that nasty feeling that the massacre in 92 will be like a bar fight compared to what's coming............ The really worrying part is there's no one to drag these loons to heal......

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

They do absolutely nothing for anybody other than for themselves and their sponsors.  Gutless cowards mostly only happy to shoot unarmed civilians as history shows. Untrustworthy in an armed conflict was the reason that during the Iraq war the US commander would only allow the Thai army ( yes there were few indeed part of the alliance ) to undertake cooking and latrine duties.

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

clearly doesnt get it; in thailand, the army does Not report to any civilian government nor such amorphous concept, just ask them

Whether anyone 'gets it' is neither here nor there. What this response does, is clearly shows that the General miscalculated  and has only managed to unite all politicians of all parties to stand up and tell him to butt out. This is the stuff that will travel out of the country and filter through the International circles.

They may decide to have another coup and Prayut may get his way, but the world and Thailand will be in no doubt that the army has no intention of relinguishing its grip on power.  

4 hours ago, a977 said:

The army should be sent back to their barracks and taught how to obey orders, not just run around making wild remarks about something they no nothing about, this has already been proved by the present leaders of the country who know absolutely F##k all about running a country

Yes but the military/Army has and will allways have the main power in this country , and if they dont win this election (they can only win by FORCE) a new coup will occur .....!!??? That's what most peoples belive !!!??? And if you read the constitution than you understand !!!

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

They do absolutely nothing for anybody other than for themselves and their sponsors.  Gutless cowards mostly only happy to shoot unarmed civilians as history shows. Untrustworthy in an armed conflict was the reason that during the Iraq war the US commander would only allow the Thai army ( yes there were few indeed part of the alliance ) to undertake cooking and latrine duties.

They were I believe an engineer unit, intended to be tasked for infrastructure reconstruction. I understand that they were actually little used as they required so much "force protection" that it was not viable.

1 hour ago, Chrisswe said:

Yes but the military/Army has and will allways have the main power in this country , and if they dont win this election (they can only win by FORCE) a new coup will occur .....!!??? That's what most peoples belive !!!??? And if you read the constitution than you understand !!!

A great step forward in that there is now open discussion of the concept that the army should serve and not dominate.

Which, in the old era, was unthinkable.

But not so in this new era.

3 hours ago, Bundooman said:

They may decide to have another coup and Prayut may get his way, but the world and Thailand will be in no doubt that the army has no intention of relinguishing its grip on power.  

And the Thais will do - what exactly ....???

Expect more of the same (from all sides).

Generally General you wouldn't even be known outside your military org, however Asia couldn't possibly run without military interference,  General,  generally the military has no playing part in politics' and come to think of it, neither has religion, now you know why Thailand, general,  like so many other Asian countries, are so behind that Democracy program.

4 hours ago, neeray said:

In the words of my Thai partner today who I feel is a microcosm of the Thai people (non elite I'm proud to say),

"I feel that Prayut is not honest and has greed, corruption and power without dignity. And Thai people, almost the whole country, will certainly not be satisfied if he wins. And throughout the time he worked as prime minister almost all Thai people condemn and laugh at the foolishness that Thailand has as a fool". (spoken like a true Thai).

Interesting times lie ahead.

Wow. I love it. It echoes the sentiment I hear from Thai people across the nation. Hardly any I have spoken with like him, approve of him, or consider him to be an honest broker of the nation. Most of the approval I have heard, has been from ex-pats on this forum. Few, but some seem to buy into his brand of nonsense. I hope strongly, he and the army are booted out with a passion. 

On 2/19/2019 at 6:40 PM, z42 said:

Right and wrong.. Going by the picture posted with the story he looks like he doesn't know the difference between right and left ????

Seriously though, this guy if we are going to judge him by his words lately, seems a highly unhinged, dangerous character.

A coup under his watch appears almost guaranteed

How does a politician not realize this?

On 2/20/2019 at 3:37 PM, spidermike007 said:

Wow. I love it. It echoes the sentiment I hear from Thai people across the nation. Hardly any I have spoken with like him, approve of him, or consider him to be an honest broker of the nation. Most of the approval I have heard, has been from ex-pats on this forum. Few, but some seem to buy into his brand of nonsense. I hope strongly, he and the army are booted out with a passion. 

Not true. The comments from expats that I have seen when quoting you in other threads have come about from the exact same evidence that you use when saying Thai people do not like him. Those expats have got their information from Thai people also, just not the circles you move in. 

I got my information from the scouts sent to find out who people were leaning towards voting a few months ago. So not personal friends or 50 people in each province that justifies a 'poll', but the people sent around to villages. Junta were looking better than what people think on this forum (at least where I am) due to things like the food card for the elderly and putting budgets into agriculture (building markets to sell crop and putting in solar power pumps and dams for farms). As a result some politicians who kept quite about the Junta before are now more happy to share stories on the things they support the Junta doing. 

I don't agree with the guy as a good choice for the long term future of the place, but please don't claim forum members are showing support when their specific words are exactly the same as yours 'Thais I speak to'. 

I also don't like the guy, but the town was up and about when he did visit a few months ago. Selfies galore. I think people just need to have more of a levelled thinking about the whole thing. Yes, many Thais do not like the guy, but it isn't as many Thais as expats on this forum think who do not like him. I think that is your own bias taking over there and just misquoting other expats to justify your own thinking. 

Archived