Airport smokers kicked out of Thai terminals

webfact

I recall this happening 4-5 years ago, all the smoking rooms were shut down at Suvarnabhumi , I went and asked at the information desk and they confirmed.  A couple of years later they were open again.

Like most Thai laws, there is a big clampdown etc then a slow re-introduction.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why ban it? Hong Kong has a reasonable plan.  They designed "outdoor" smoking areas (balcony/terrace) on the concourses. 

It's too bad they let the mechanical and instrumentation/process engineers off the hook, with the design of the existing smoking rooms at swampy and DM.  There's no reason to have a smokey room or even the slightest scent of cigarette outside the room.  Negative pressure and a 100% (separate) open loop = no problem (+/-90% fresh air intake, +/-10% concourse air migration into smoking room, 100% exhaust.  Instrumentation to properly monitor/control smoke in the room should be childs play.  

11 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Why ban it? Hong Kong has a reasonable plan.  They designed "outdoor" smoking areas (balcony/terrace) on the concourses. 

Same at Manchester Airport. Outside covered terrace that is accessed from a corridor leading from the food hall, in the departure lounge. Corridor is exclusively used by smokers. Couple of closed doors en route ensure that no inconvenience is caused to non smokers.

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Same at Manchester Airport. Outside covered terrace that is accessed from a corridor leading from the food hall, in the departure lounge. Corridor is exclusively used by smokers. Couple of closed doors en route ensure that no inconvenience is caused to non smokers.

Correct, Manchester is not a BAA managed airport though. LHR, LGW + Others are and they have no smoking at all. 

I quit smoking 6 months ago. I am still in favour of outside smoking areas in airports.

4 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

I used to be a chain smoker... three to four packs a day, and I actually lit up with my buts.

I can still remember back in the 70's people smoking on planes, in classrooms... everywhere actually.

I love smoking even if I quit, and I think it is good to make public areas smoke free.

Truth be told, if I ever found out I was going to die of cancer, or something else in the near future, I would likely start smoking again.

I am on the same wavelength   :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Anyone want to start a smoker's only airline, terminal, and lounges?

I'm afraid that, that idea was already taken in 1993 by "Smokers Express Airlines" in Florida, operating 3 aircraft. They ceased operation in 1993, so probably not that great a success...:whistling:

NY Times however wrote that in-flight smoking was always allowed on the Concorde flights, but they also ceased.

Some reviews says that in-flight smoking is still allowed on China Eastern Airlines.

I remember I read an article a few years ago about plans for a business class only airline where smoking would be allowed, don't know if it ever took off...????

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Yep.  In a major college in the USA, we could still smoke in the classroom circa 1975, though we sat by the windows. I was on a flight in the USA a couple days after the in-flight smoking ban started and lit up by habit.  I did one puff and thought "Oh shit".  I got away with that one.

In Narita airport, they had a smoking room, with lighters provided.  Very nice.  Good ventilation.  In Cincinnati, Ohio, USA they also had one in the regional plane area.  It was crammed with people, could hardly see your hand in front of your face. You could get a nicotine fix just by walking into the area.  Almost as bad as the steel mills around Chicago & Indiana.

I have always said that 99% of smokers are the most selfish people ever born, just suppose there were no bans on smoking in planes, restaurants and other public places, they would just light up with no regard for anyone else.

I just love to read all the nonsense ????

Brainwashed people justifying the nonsense they get from the controllers via the brainwash media.

I would really like to see the science about this ...

And if we are on the science already we might look into the science of microwave technology [mobile networks] also

and find out why nobody wants to make WiFi illegal [which is way more harmful than smoking ...]

Maybe the controllers just want people to know anything about anything and just talk nonsense

about everything ???

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

Name one airport, outside Thailand, that has closed it's smoking rooms in departure lounges.

I flew to visit family and friends in '07.  Helsinki provided smoking areas whilst waiting for the next flight to a small airport within Finland.

After visiting family there, I flew to the UK.  No probs. as I rarely smoke after leaving a short-haul flight until I leave the terminal.

On the flight back from Heathrow or Gatwick, I was more than a bit miffed to be told that smoking was not allowed anywhere in the airport.....  Which was when I realised that I would never be back ☹️.

32 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

If you support banning smoking, you should be more

concerned with banning alcohol.

Alcohol is the No. 1 killer globally, but that's ok, yes?

It's people killing themselves or others with Alcohol or under the influence of Alcohol !!!

The gun does not kill !!! Who ever is pulling the trigger is the murderer !
[something to think about for all those pulling the trigger - it's not the one giving the order who is the murderer - 

it's the one pulling the trigger !!!]

The number 1 killer globally are Governments !!!

Alcohol can't kill as many people as [for example] the US Government did over the last 300 years !!!

[Or 50 Mio in the Sowjet Union, 60 Mio in Mao China ... Germany, France, Vietnam, Cambodia .... the list is longer

then any amount of Alcohol that can ever be distilled]

8 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

I still think it has more to do with a witchhunt (plus save money for not having to clean the smoking rooms like once every 6 months) than with genuine health concerns

Those smokingrooms didn't have any proper fans to suck the smoke out or clean it.....so it was really terrible inside and smokers left the doors open to smoke in the doorway..All the smoke going out of course.

It was the same in Dubai for many years but now they built new smokingrooms again which are still very crowded but no more blue air inside.

I think it's a stupid thing to close them, just install good fans and aircleaners and nobody has an issue with them i guess...now they can expect aggressive passenger who need nicotine.....that gives them extra work and a bad reputation.

Also BKK has very highly polluted air and very dangerous traffic...of course they won't deal with that, it's easier to annoy the smokers and blame them for all.

4 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

Are the(old)designated smoking areas in the pick up and drop off zones at Swampy(the ones just on the roadside outside the main building)still operating or are they too near the building?

It is just clear of the building, in a small garden area

to the side, 1 minute walk.

10 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Second-Hand smoke in Thailand? They have smoking rooms no? I think the way to go is to have smoking terraces outside like Changi. 

Smoking is not illegal yet. 

So it's still a personal choice to smoke or not. 

All you do when you prohibit something is drive it underground. So toilets and quiet areas will become smoking areas. People are travelling a long way and transiting the airport. 

Make areas outside. How difficult can that be?   

Yup. personal choice.

But I wish I could also have my personal choice not to be bothered by stinky cigarette smoke when at a restaurant for example.

In Phuket, the main offenders are tourists and expats. They would not care a bit if their second hand smoke bothered others. So is it a question whether I think that smokers should not be bothered by rules and regulations reminding them that they stinks up the air for everyone in a restaurant....

The one instance where Thais have better manners than farangs at restaurant tables. Perhaps the only one...

Prohibiting smoking in public places might drive the filthy habit undergroung, fine, as long as this undergroung area is very far from my dinner table, or even my breathing area...

Archived