No drought this year, says irrigation dept

webfact

Strange  claim. Drought is usually defined as a water deficiency  from lack of rainfall. Having reservoirs deemed sufficient to  supply basic domestic supply  does not avert real drought.

In my area there  has been  no real recovery from the 2017 drought. Last year some heavy rains came very early which disrupted rice planting as per usual. After that there was only  very sporadic  rain barely sufficient for rice growing.Overall production was  very poor. The ground  water table is still extremely low.

For  many  around here the reports of  flooding elsewhere was mystifying because some attempt at rain  making  occurred locally at the same time! The year as been  quite unusual with occasional rain showers happening  up until last week. But nothing as much as  would  make a difference to the  water table.

Despite those  who decry Thai  farmers  in general it is noticeable that this year there  has been widespread preparation  for  planting months  earlier than  usual to avert being  caught like last year. But of course it all depends on sufficient rainfall eventually.

That there has been a prediction that the  overall temperatures will be near record level may be a contradiction to sufficient rainfall.

At the end of the  day, regardless whether or not crops get washed away by  flooding or  shrivel in

drought the  social and economic  impact is significant both locally and nationally. 

I think we are already in a drought, have not had any measureable rain here in SE Rayong since November, my pond is at the same level that it was in May of last year, a lot of ponds around here are already going dry, they are taking tankers full of water out of the reservoir that serves my area on a daily basis, hoping for the best

The deputy director-general added that though farmers in the areas of the four other dams have been prohibited from off-season rice growing, they will still be allowed to grow edible plants to make a living.

Such an extraordinary degree of compassion, empathy and concern for the well being of the masses. 

Good thing is: if this analyses, grounded in facts and science, doesn't come true, they can of course send up a squadron of planes and hokuspokus some rain into being!

It worked so perfectly over the last 70 years or so...

:coffee1:

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

For the life of me I cannot fathom how someone would come up with such a dumb statement just a day after the second hottest year on record has been forecast.....I am going to bookmark this page, and see how long it is before someone declares a drought.

Oh ye of little faith! It is an irrefutable fact that the present leader of Thailand has certain powers which can control the weather. A little frog kissing here, the shaking of amulets to sky there and an impromptu rain dance is all that's needed to organise some rain to fill the dams.  

Some folk have short memories as to how he claimed glory for saving people and their homes by making tropical storm Pabuk go away. His image of self-confidence and smugness should be reassuring to everyone. 

f07c2affb91932e120d39172d03f46a9.jpeg

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

"No drought in Bangkok" is what they mean. Don't care about the rest of the country. Stop the rice farming is their answer !  How about stopping beer production ? That would save a lot of water !

Please don't say that, it's the only reason I'm still here.

2 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

So on one hand we are going to have the hottest summer ever, but on the other hand there will be no drought, a contradiction in terms I think !

Do they ever stop to think what they are saying ?

Nope

4 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

One note on the ponds that are dug to hold water.  They are often improperly made, not lined, therefore the water is absorbed into the ground.   Water is a serious matter.

Most ponds in Thailand are dug into and below the groundwater level and fed from underground.  Like this, the level rises during & post rains and drops in the dry season.   In Rayong, the ponds have dropped faster than seasonally normal so hope is for rainfall early in the rainy season.   A dam is not a pond and is recharged from surface runoff and yes should have an impermeable base.  Water supply is a serious matter that the planet surely has to understand better 

On 2/20/2019 at 9:24 AM, wgdanson said:

Banning SONGKRAN would save MILLIONS of litres.

Although I do agree with you, I have to say that millions of litres in a country this size is, literally speaking, a mere drop in the ocean and isn't really going to make sweet frig all of a difference. A day or two at most. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived