National assembly to debate controversial rice bill despite protests

webfact

National assembly to debate controversial rice bill despite protests

%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7-Eng

Despite protests by some farmer groups and the Democrat party, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) is determined to go ahead with its planned deliberation of the controversial rice bill in its second and final readings on Wednesday.

Objections to the bill focus on Section 27/1 which empowers the Rice Department as the sole authority for checking and approving rice seeds for cultivation to ensure the seeds meet set standards.

Critics claim the bill, when enacted, will deprive rice farmers of the right to trade or exchange rice seeds among themselves because the seeds will have to be certified by the Rice Department.  They also suspect that the bill is designed to benefit the agro industry in a way that will force farmers to rely on their seeds for cultivation.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/national-assembly-to-debate-controversial-rice-bill-despite-protests/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-02-20

All rice farmers should now announce they will be voting for any Party other than the Palang Pacharat Party and their beloved Prayut Chan-o-cha. 

Problem now being the envelopes have probably already been filled and awaiting the passing of the Bill before they can be distributed.

It seems the Junta and NLA are actively passing laws to reward the people or companies who supported the protests and related coup. There has already been one law to prevent short-term rentals airbnb style,  in favour of hotel owners. Now there is this one to advantage large companies selling rice seeds.

Now the question: which Thai group owns hotels and also sells rice seed? (I think I guess the answer but I am looking for confirmations).

Archived