FAA lists 26 flaws in Thailand’s aviation standards that need rectification

webfact

FAA lists 26 flaws in Thailand’s aviation standards that need rectification

%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7-Eng

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has identified 26 flaws in Thailand’s aviation standards during its recent inspection and has recommended that they be rectified if Thailand is to regain Category One status.

Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand director Mr. Chula Sukmanop said that some of the 26 flaws recently identified were already known and were in the process of being rectified. These include the number of personnel assigned to aviation safety, which must be adjusted to conform to the required aviation standard.

He said that the US’s FAA would submit its official inspection report to the CAAT within 60 days through the US embassy in Bangkok. Following that, the CAAT will make rectifications as recommended before asking the FAA for re-inspection.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/faa-lists-26-flaws-in-thailands-aviation-standards-that-need-rectification/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-02-20

Clearly the Thai government will claim that there are no such flaws in Thai aviation standards. Its more like the US do not understand that Thai aircraft cockpits are adorned with Buddhist amulets and other superstitious items so hence are clearly protected from mishaps.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Chula Sukmanop said that some of the 26 flaws recently identified were already known and were in the process of being rectified.

Typcial arrogant Thai response. 

Translation - 

"We already know that. We already know everything. It's all a misunderstanding." 

Looking forward to them being reprimanded. If they want to operate in an international community, Thai standards WILL NOT MEET STANDARDS

And Vietnam has used their Category One status to initiate direct flights to the US and code shares with US airlines. With the Trump Kim Summit in Hanoi next week, Vietnam is rapidly eclipsing Thailand's influence in the region. 

If the current political mess doesn't improve, it would not be a surprise to see the US and the West shift more and more towards Vietnam and away from Thailand. 

13 minutes ago, phkauf said:

And Vietnam has used their Category One status to initiate direct flights to the US and code shares with US airlines. With the Trump Kim Summit in Hanoi next week, Vietnam is rapidly eclipsing Thailand's influence in the region. 

If the current political mess doesn't improve, it would not be a surprise to see the US and the West shift more and more towards Vietnam and away from Thailand. 

As many in Thailand are determined to make the country a Chinese colony, I think this is the likelihood.

27 minutes ago, zydeco said:

As many in Thailand are determined to make the country a Chinese colony, I think this is the likelihood.

And I could totally see Trump calling their bluff, which would shock the powers here. As many have and are learning, China does nothing unless it is THEIR interest. There is no bigger, global picture - it's all what can China get from it.

Sadly, China is not above paying bribes for influence and the Thais are not below taking these bribes. By the time people here wake up, Thailand will be owned by the Chinese.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand director Mr. Chula Sukmanop said that some of the 26 flaws recently identified were already known and were in the process of being rectified.

What about the ones that weren’t known?

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Typcial arrogant Thai response. 

Translation - 

"We already know that. We already know everything. It's all a misunderstanding." 

Looking forward to them being reprimanded. If they want to operate in an international community, Thai standards WILL NOT MEET STANDARDS

Perhaps the right responses would be 'how long have they been in the process of rectification and what is the progress'?

True story. A good friend of mine called me and asked me if i'd meet him for a drink and give my opinion on a case of "Thainess" that had happened to him recently. My friend was in charge of maintenance for a large airline operating in Thailand and he described an incident that happened over Suvarnabhumi airport where a Thai Captain had cocked up the approach and decided to perform a go around, this he did without declaring his intentions, slammed both throttles forward, flaps and undercarriage down, proceeded at such an accute angle that the aircraft was basically hanging on its engines while he burst through numerable airspace heights over the airport whilst the crew where screaming in panic. My friend was sat in the meeting with the owner of the airline listening to the cockpit recorder and the madness that was going on over the airport. Luckily for the captain the aircraft ran down to around 130 knots, (Luckily it was empty as well), dropped the nose and took off at an alarming rate towards the ground, luckily the first officer pulled in the flaps and undercarriage and by the grace of god the aircraft came under control again. All this was recorded on cockpit and flight recorders and was played for all to listen to and analyse at the meeting. The first officer during all the meeting sat perfectly quiet, never said a word, then the Captain chirped up and looked at my mate and said, " I'm Thai and this is Thailand" then just got up and walked out followed by the first officer......... I asked my mate, does he know where you live ? he asked why ?  I said because if he was willing to kill everyone onboard his own aircraft and anyone else in the pattern, what's one farang worth ?     No wonder the FAA's on their backside.....  

4 hours ago, Lungstib said:

It cant be easy for a country riddled with corruption and a poor history in safety standards to maintain the standards set by the international community. This will always be an uphill climb for a nation determined to remain 3rd world.

Revoke an operating licence for international destinations, you'd be surprised how quickly international standards can be implemented!

If Thailand only understands Thai standards then stick to Thai airspace !!

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

True story. A good friend of mine called me and asked me if i'd meet him for a drink and give my opinion on a case of "Thainess" that had happened to him recently. My friend was in charge of maintenance for a large airline operating in Thailand and he described an incident that happened over Suvarnabhumi airport where a Thai Captain had cocked up the approach and decided to perform a go around, this he did without declaring his intentions, slammed both throttles forward, flaps and undercarriage down, proceeded at such an accute angle that the aircraft was basically hanging on its engines while he burst through numerable airspace heights over the airport whilst the crew where screaming in panic. My friend was sat in the meeting with the owner of the airline listening to the cockpit recorder and the madness that was going on over the airport. Luckily for the captain the aircraft ran down to around 130 knots, (Luckily it was empty as well), dropped the nose and took off at an alarming rate towards the ground, luckily the first officer pulled in the flaps and undercarriage and by the grace of god the aircraft came under control again. All this was recorded on cockpit and flight recorders and was played for all to listen to and analyse at the meeting. The first officer during all the meeting sat perfectly quiet, never said a word, then the Captain chirped up and looked at my mate and said, " I'm Thai and this is Thailand" then just got up and walked out followed by the first officer......... I asked my mate, does he know where you live ? he asked why ?  I said because if he was willing to kill everyone onboard his own aircraft and anyone else in the pattern, what's one farang worth ?     No wonder the FAA's on their backside.....  

Woow, that's a interesting story. Thank you for sharing it.

7 hours ago, legend49 said:

Obviously the improvements 2 years ago to meet ICAO's requirements of a red flag removal didnt last long.

Meeting ICAO requirements and FAA requirements are two different things.

Thailand met ICAO requirements (with some minor concerns needing addressing) in 2017, but not those of the FAA, who continued to be "unimpressed".

As they had been since 2015 when they (and ICAO) downgraded Thailand

Thailands satisfactory rating with ICAO remains unchanged.

Archived