Teenager who joined IS group in Syria to lose UK citizenship

webfact

Teenager who joined IS group in Syria to lose UK citizenship

2019-02-19T223412Z_1_LYNXNPEF1I1XM_RTROPTP_4_MIDEAST-CRISIS-BRITISH-GIRL.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Renu Begum, sister of teenage British girl Shamima Begum, holds a photo of her sister as she makes an appeal for her to return home at Scotland Yard, in London, Britain February 22, 2015. REUTERS/Laura Lean/Pool

LONDON (Reuters) - Shamima Begum, a teenager who left London when she was aged 15 to join Islamic State in Syria, has had her British citizenship revoked, according to a letter sent to her family published by ITV News on Tuesday.

Begum, who gave birth to a son at the weekend, was discovered in a refugee camp in Syria by a London Times journalist earlier this month. Now aged 19, she has told reporters she wants to return to Britain.

The letter addressed to Begum's mother said: "Please find enclosed papers that relate to a decision taken by the Home Secretary, to deprive your daughter, Shamima Begum, of her British citizenship.

"In light of the circumstances of your daughter, the notice of the Home Secretary's decision has been served of file today (19th February), and the order removing her British citizenship has subsequently been made."

Britain's Home Secretary Sajid Javid has said he would "not hesitate" to prevent the return to Britain of anyone who has supported terrorist organisations aboard.

Mohammed T Akunjee, a lawyer representing Begum's family, said on Twitter the family was "very disappointed" by the move.

"We are considering all legal avenues to challenge this decision," he said.

Sky News, citing government sources, said Begum could have her citizenship revoked because she was a dual British-Bangladeshi national,

Britain's Home Office did not immediately respond to a request to comment.

(Reporting by Paul Sandle; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-20

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although anti racist, I do feel that anyone who turns their back on a country to aid terrorists that openly plot the downfall of, attack, kill, and maim, the innocent citizens of that country, can't be surprised when that country revokes their citizenship.

She made her bed, now she can lie in it. Som nam na. 

This is an interesting development. I remember when this story first broke the narrative ran that she was born in Bangladesh and at age 3 moved to the UK. Then over the last week the story was that she was born in the UK. Now she has her citizenship revoked because she holds Bangladesh citizenship. So, she was born abroad after all, or??

If only Britain could learn from this sorry saga. It takes more than throwing a passport at somebody to make them a real Brit. Time to overhaul the whole system. The candidate must have lived continuously in the UK legally and paid income taxes for at least 20 years, and must be able to prove a "oneness" with British culture to be eligible for a UK passport. That together with a totally clear criminal record and we would be getting somewhere.

Kudos to the UK Govt on this one. She made her bed, now she has to live with the consequence.

UK taxpayer money must be spent on worthier cases than this. Glad this has been treated with the contempt it deserves 

I'm afraid it would be easier to get the sun to shine at midnight in London, than it will be to stop this "ISIS poster girl" and her child from returning to the UK.

I served 8 years in the British Royal Navy, at a time when Britain was not ruled by "British Muslims"... 

Britain, it's heritage, it's culture, it's identity and everything that once made us who we are - is gone, seemingly forever. 

As crazy as some may see this - I sometimes wish President Donald Trump was the Prime Minister of Britain. 

1 minute ago, TopDeadSenter said:

This is an interesting development. I remember when this story first broke the narrative ran that she was born in Bangladesh and at age 3 moved to the UK. Then over the last week the story was that she was born in the UK. Now she has her citizenship revoked because she holds Bangladesh citizenship. So, she was born abroad after all, or??

If only Britain could learn from this sorry saga. It takes more than throwing a passport at somebody to make them a real Brit. Time to overhaul the whole system. The candidate must have lived continuously in the UK legally and paid income taxes for at least 20 years, and must be able to prove a "oneness" with British culture to be eligible for a UK passport. That together with a totally clear criminal record and we would be getting somewhere.

Unfortunately, the group that carried out the London Tube bombings, were born and raised in the UK and carried British passports. AS with the group that carried out a failed attempt to repeat the atrocity a few months later, all uni students.

The answer doesn't lie with preventing Moslems coming to the UK, the answer is to prevent the radicalisation of these youngsters once they are in the UK.

Come down hard on the Mosques/madrassas, expel the evil Mullahs preaching hate and most of all curtail social media from allowing their apps to aid the spreading of these evil doctrines to youngsters.

Zuckerberg, you are giving aid and succour to the most evil, morally bankrupt, terrorists that the world has ever known. You are a criminal. Spending the rest of your sad life in prison is less than you deserve.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The answer doesn't lie with preventing Moslems coming to the UK, the answer is to prevent the radicalisation of these youngsters once they are in the UK.

That would be unnecessary if we did not allow them in, in the first place

7 minutes ago, BB1958 said:

That would be unnecessary if we did not allow them in, in the first place

As I pointed out, the majority of terrorists, in the UK, were born in the UK, second and sometimes third generation Brits. What do you advocate, deport all Moslems, British or not? Where would you deport them to? They're 100% British.

48 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Although anti racist, I do feel that anyone who turns their back on a country to aid terrorists that openly plot the downfall of, attack, kill, and maim, the innocent citizens of that country, can't be surprised when that country revokes their citizenship.

She made her bed, now she can lie in it. Som nam na. 

Given that she does have a second citizenship then yes the right move.

31 minutes ago, BB1958 said:

I served 8 years in the British Royal Navy, at a time when Britain was not ruled by "British Muslims"... 

Britain, it's heritage, it's culture, it's identity and everything that once made us who we are - is gone, seemingly forever. 

And you've done your part to stop this by moving to Thailand? Ironic you haven't immigration laws of your own country while relying on the immigration laws of another's. 

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

What do you advocate, deport all Moslems, British or not? Where would you deport them to? They're 100% British.

I never said anything what you wrote - you are attempting to paint me as the villain. There are intelligent people on this forum that will see right through you - AND whilst you are "attempting to appear "eloquent", you will not succeed  

1 minute ago, BB1958 said:

I never said anything what you wrote - you are attempting to paint me as the villain. There are intelligent people on this forum that will see right through you - AND whilst you are "attempting to appear "eloquent", you will not succeed  

"What I wrote"? Where do you get your scripts from? Morecambe and Wise?

3 minutes ago, SammyT said:

And you've done your part to stop this by moving to Thailand? Ironic you haven't immigration laws of your own country while relying on the immigration laws of another's. 

Yes, as those that are "British" will understand - we need to populate our Empire - (Yes, yes, yes, I know Thailand was not part of our Empire).. Keeping our "global" presence for the good of the planet....

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Given that she does have a second citizenship then yes the right move.

Given that she had dual nationality, it was the British government's only option. Had she been a 100% British citizen born in the UK, the British government would have been totally unable to legally strip her of her British nationality.

People who are born in Bangladesh or to Bangladeshi parents are automatically Bangladeshi citizens, so it doesn't matter whether she was born in the UK or not.

Bangladesh recognizes dual citizens, so as long as her parents didn't formally renounce their Bangladeshi citizenship, all she has to do is go to a Bangladeshi Embassy or Consulate and apply for a Bangladeshi passport.  Of course, if Bangladesh is anything like Thailand, we can expect that her family will have to produce Notarized and Apostilled copies of their and her birth certificates etc...etc...etc...

At last the British Government doing something right,there 

was no way she would be allowed to return to the UK,she

chose to join the enemies of all democratic countries,let 

her rot in a Syrian camp,or she can go to Bangladesh where

she would most likely be welcomed,a shit country like that

is good enough for her.

regards worgeordie

Of course the elephant in the room here is the fact that the UK government does not have to now take responsibility for the decision to allow or prosecute this woman as the US has forced the hand of States to either take their citizens back or let them free.

But the fact remains that the UK granted her citizenship, and now absolves itself from any responsibility if this person gets released and goes and has more Jihadi babies or aids and abets such efforts herself.

1 minute ago, keemapoot said:

Of course the elephant in the room here is the fact that the UK government does not have to now take responsibility for the decision to allow or prosecute this woman as the US has forced the hand of States to either take their citizens back or let them free.

But the fact remains that the UK granted her citizenship, and now absolves itself from any responsibility if this person gets released and goes and has more Jihadi babies or aids and abets such efforts herself.

Yes, let her go to Bangladesh and there she can do what she wants , she is an individual person and the UK isnt responsible for her life 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Yes, let her go to Bangladesh and there she can do what she wants , she is an individual person and the UK isnt responsible for her life 

You mean that the UK is shirking its responsibility to stand up and make a decision whether to prosecute or not one of its nasty citizens. Yes, I do understand that, but let's call it what it is. UK government does not want the fallout from that decision.

2 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

You mean that the UK is shirking its responsibility to stand up and make a decision whether to prosecute or not one of its nasty citizens. Yes, I do understand that, but let's call it what it is. UK government does not want the fallout from that decision.

No , I dont mean that .

The UK has made the decision to revoke her citizenship

Archived