UK's Hammond says no-deal Brexit would be 'mutual calamity'

webfact

UK's Hammond says no-deal Brexit would be 'mutual calamity'

2019-02-20T005915Z_1_LYNXNPEF1J01E_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond is seen outside Downing Street in London, Britain, February 13, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

(Reuters) - A no-deal Brexit would be a "mutual calamity" for Britain and the European Union that would deliver a sharp blow to the British economy, Finance Minister Philip Hammond said on Tuesday.

Hammond, addressing the annual dinner of Britain's largest manufacturing association, Make UK, added that lawmakers should stop seeking legal changes to the Northern Irish backstop that the EU would not accept at short notice, and instead focus on supporting Prime Minister Theresa May's preferred Brexit plan.

"Our partners in the EU need to be at their pragmatic best in helping to avoid the mutual calamity of no deal; and you – and we – need to carry on explaining the implications of a no deal exit, no matter who cries 'Project Fear'," Hammond said.

(Reporting by David Milliken in London)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-20

So come up with a proper deal. Not BRINO. Not Theresa’s capitulation. Not something that ties us to the EU as a vassal state. We can see through your Remainer lies of the past few years and won’t have anymore of them. You just haven’t been trying hard enough have you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

no matter who cries 'Project Fear'," Hammond said.

And the Swindon Honda workers will fear nothing about universal credit and food banks either????

and whats that to do with the topic, diesel cars not wanted dead as a dodo, evolve or die.

7 hours ago, Loiner said:

So come up with a proper deal. Not BRINO. Not Theresa’s capitulation. Not something that ties us to the EU as a vassal state. We can see through your Remainer lies of the past few years and won’t have anymore of them. You just haven’t been trying hard enough have you?

Yes, but we should have done that 2 years ago...

31 minutes ago, steve187 said:

and whats that to do with the topic, diesel cars not wanted dead as a dodo, evolve or die.

Nothing unless your a Honda worker or one of the company's that supply it or an ex employee with vested interest in the manufacturing town ????

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

And diesel cars are nothing to do with  Honda's closure - production there was 94% petrol.

9 hours ago, Loiner said:

You are right.  The deal the Brexiteer campaigners promised is what the people expected and that hasn't been delivered at all.  What is being offered by May is the best she could get even after setting her ridiculous red lines.  And that is BRINO!  We are in agreement!

So given that, you believe the way to go is with a no-deal? Even though that would leave Britain in a much worse off position than it is in now. Even Gove has said that a no-deal would seriously harm the farming industry and they may never recover from it?

7 hours ago, smedly said:

I think Hammond is a very capable Chancellor, but we are at critical stage and he should stop undermining TM and keep his mouth shut. 

"Hammond, addressing the annual dinner of Britain's largest manufacturing association, Make UK, added that lawmakers should stop seeking legal changes to the Northern Irish backstop that the EU would not accept at short notice, and instead focus on supporting Prime Minister Theresa May's preferred Brexit plan."

Hardly undermining the woman, is it?

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

no matter who cries 'Project Fear'," Hammond said.

And the Swindon Honda workers will fear nothing about universal credit and food banks either????

But they will get a new shopping center, more "waiting for God" staffed on the cheap care homes, a collage to train for jobs that ain't there and lots of new houses for people without jobs when the propriety developers move in, Just look what St Modwen did for longbridge...  

11 hours ago, Loiner said:

Again a genious, who knows a better solution. So… show it !

20 years ago the British signed for NEVER a border between N. vs S. Ireland, and now... they cannot choise nor fulfil.

Let the last factory worker flow out the last candle… as electic light.. the British will not be able to afford in a couple of years.

Brexit is an unmitigated disaster, everyone is a loser. I suspect many of its victims will be those that voted for it ... like the two Honda employees interviewed on Ch4 last night. Of course, the recent business decisions of Nissan, Sony, Panasonic and now Honda are “nothing to do with Brexit” ... a phrase we’ll all be hearing a lot of in the years to come.

#nothingtodowithBrexit

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

But they will get a new shopping center, more "waiting for God" staffed on the cheap care homes, a collage to train for jobs that ain't there and lots of new houses for people without jobs when the propriety developers move in, Just look what St Modwen did for longbridge...  

Yes, but as they sit at home with the heating off, scoffing a Pot Noodle, they can congratulate themselves in “taking back control”, sticking two fingers up to Johnny Foreigner. 

35 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Yes, but as they sit at home with the heating off, scoffing a Pot Noodle, they can congratulate themselves in “taking back control”, sticking two fingers up to Johnny Foreigner. 

That's what the whole Brexit nonsense is all about.

19 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Sadly true. 

Until now, no pro Brexit fan could say me with a little bit of logic, how he is personally exactly better off, after Brexit.
You only hear fantasies and from Castles in the air.
National light-headed mudguards take over the land.
Was not different in Germany in the beginning 1933.

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

Until now, no pro Brexit fan could say me with a little bit of logic, how he is personally exactly better off, after Brexit.
You only hear fantasies and from Castles in the air.
National light-headed mudguards take over the land.
Was not different in Germany in the beginning 1933.

I'm of the same view. I look at the old folks being interviewed on TV talking about how they are "happy" with a "no deal" and I wonder what they have to gain, how will their individual lives change the day after? If they have a safe pension and their own home it won't affect them much, save for having to pay more for things in the shops. But for the life of me I can't see how they gain anything. But for certain there will be many people who will lose ... Honda car workers are just the beginning, not to mention kids who don't have the same freedom to move and settle as I have had. So why put so many through all that for little or no benefit? There are echoes of the 1930's ... were politicians who would not have been taken seriously before, start to gain prominence ... and point out who is to blame for your unhappiness. It was Jews in Germany, it's now Muslims and the EU in the UK. Lot's of red faced angry people looking for someone to hate. Sad.

18 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I'm of the same view. I look at the old folks being interviewed on TV talking about how they are "happy" with a "no deal" and I wonder what they have to gain, how will their individual lives change the day after? If they have a safe pension and their own home it won't affect them much, save for having to pay more for things in the shops. But for the life of me I can't see how they gain anything. But for certain there will be many people who will lose ... Honda car workers are just the beginning, not to mention kids who don't have the same freedom to move and settle as I have had. So why put so many through all that for little or no benefit? There are echoes of the 1930's ... were politicians who would not have been taken seriously before, start to gain prominence ... and point out who is to blame for your unhappiness. It was Jews in Germany, it's now Muslims and the EU in the UK. Lot's of red faced angry people looking for someone to hate. Sad.

Can only agree with your thoughts.
Granted, the EU also has its mistakes. But the global view is much more important to me.
Overpopulation, species extinction, environmental pollution in the oceans and on land, plastic waste, destruction of the forests, climate change, nonsensical wars, etc. There will not be much space on this planet in the future.
What we are experiencing is the final battle for resources still available.
To solve the problems of this world, global cooperation is necessary. If the time has not expired.
There is a Brexit just the opposite. That's just a national selfish interest.
And the crazy thing is, that people in the UK, in the EU and also around the world are not better off, with nationalist isolation thoughts.
The climate, the dirt in the air, the garbage in the oceans, the temperatures in the world do not know man-made borders.

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

That's what the whole Brexit nonsense is all about.

it started with immigration and how many times do we hear immigration mentioned now?  it barely gets a mention,vast majority of leave voters didnt give a hoot about trade/jobs/economy/inflation/the pound/growth.

13 minutes ago, bomber said:

it started with immigration and how many times do we hear immigration mentioned now?  it barely gets a mention,vast majority of leave voters didnt give a hoot about trade/jobs/economy/inflation/the pound/growth.

Brexit is now an ideology similar to Jehovah's Witnesses.
For the functioning of a mass ideology it is necessary that
a. clear stereotypes enemy images exist: foreigners, Polish plumbers who take the work away, the EU with its laws, etc. and
b A common body consists like us English, or we the electorate, or we the People have spoken, Projekt fear, etc.
Then suddenly the "other" 48% are seen as enemies in their own country.
The whole thing will be then, all a Goebbels fueled,  by the media and professional, paid scribblers in the social media.
Done is the cocktail of discord.
Rational arguments like trade/jobs/economy/inflation/the pound/growth, do not come through then.

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

a. clear stereotypes enemy images exist: foreigners, Polish plumbers who take the work away, the EU with its laws, etc. and
b A common body consists like us English, or we the electorate, or we the People have spoken, Projekt fear, etc.
The whole thing will be then, all a Goebbels fueled,  by the media and professional, paid scribblers in the social media.
Rational arguments like trade/jobs/economy/inflation/the pound/growth, do not come through then.

they all seem to think everything is going change for the better but they are in for a shock,i cannot see one aspect of their lives that are going to change,and the fact they are relying on UK politicians to make it better makes it a certainty,dreamers comes to mind.

8 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Indeed. A financial crisis, a battered and suddenly much poorer people left to deal with the consequences, conniving demagogues seizing the opportunity to turn ordinarily decent folk against one another. It's all there... But it is Nazi Germany I am talking about, not the Witnesses...

24 minutes ago, bomber said:

they all seem to think everything is going change for the better but they are in for a shock,i cannot see one aspect of their lives that are going to change,and the fact they are relying on UK politicians to make it better makes it a certainty,dreamers comes to mind.

I think they do not think it will get all better. Also the reflexion, what does that mean for me personally and my life, family, etc. is not relevant. It is often experienced that people who previously had no power, to whom little attention was given, are suddenly very important. Just like the little border official who pushes your entry stamp into the passport or not. 
It is ultimately about achieving a common goal. Even if the goal makes no sense.
The whole thing is accompanied by appeals to national pride and sacrifice.
In a society often disadvantaged, be it objective or even subjective, find themselves together in a new dynamic.
The desire to belong to a solid group is dominant here. Content and goals are secondary.

7 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I think they do not think it will get all better. Also the reflexion, what does that mean for me personally and my life, family, etc. is not relevant. It is often experienced that people who previously had no power, to whom little attention was given, are suddenly very important. Just like the little border official who pushes your entry stamp into the passport or not. 
It is ultimately about achieving a common goal. Even if the goal makes no sense.
The whole thing is accompanied by appeals to national pride and sacrifice.
In a society often disadvantaged, be it objective or even subjective, find themselves together in a new dynamic.
The desire to belong to a solid group is dominant here. Content and goals are secondary.

Perspicacity at its finest. Puts my own humble musings to shame.

24 minutes ago, baboon said:

Indeed. A financial crisis, a battered and suddenly much poorer people left to deal with the consequences, conniving demagogues seizing the opportunity to turn ordinarily decent folk against one another. It's all there... But it is Nazi Germany I am talking about, not the Witnesses...

I used to stand in the former stadium of the 3rd Reich in Nürnberg. The size and power of this course is impressive. It is easy to imagine how the atmosphere must have been there when 100,000 People with fire torches swore on the swastika flag.
Thankfully, Brexit does not have that, but the mass mechanism is the same.

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

Easy to evolve when you have a tariff-free deal allowing you to export cars from Japan to Europe.  Not so easy for entrepeneurs in Swindon.  We need to be clear that we are taking the Spartan approach to improving the UK economy. 

No gain without pain.  Suffering makes you stronger.  Strength through adversity.  Devil take the hindmost.  I'm sure it will be fine in the long run, whatever hardship people might suffer in the short term, and potential strains on our civic society,

SC

15 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I used to stand in the former stadium of the 3rd Reich in Nürnberg. The size and power of this course is impressive. It is easy to imagine how the atmosphere must have been there when 100,000 People with fire torches swore on the swastika flag.
Thankfully, Brexit does not have that, but the mass mechanism is the same.

Aspirations. We all need aspirations.  Can we rename Wembley "Brexit Stadium"?  There are a lot of stadia around the country that are only used at the weekend.  Perhaps we could hold public forum meetings to explain the benefits of Brexit, and develop consensus and agreement, and some healthy formation marching and chanting to get us all on the same page.  Unity and Power.  Strength through Joy.

Archived