Trump confident he will prevail against lawsuits over emergency declaration

webfact

Trump confident he will prevail against lawsuits over emergency declaration

By Jeff Mason

2019-02-20T010025Z_1_LYNXNPEF1J01H_RTROPTP_4_USA-SHUTDOWN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Workers and U.S border patrol officers stand next to an excavator working in a section of the new wall between El Paso, Texas, in the United States and Ciudad Juarez as seen from the Mexican side of the border in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, February 5, 2019. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump expressed confidence on Tuesday that he would prevail against a lawsuit filed by 16 U.S. states seeking to block his declaration of a national emergency to fund a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.

The group of states, including California and New York, has charged the president and top officials in his administration with taking away taxpayer funds for their communities to fulfil a promise from his 2016 campaign to curb illegal immigration and the flow of drugs.

Trump's remarks to reporters in the Oval Office suggested he was not concerned or surprised by the states' legal challenge.

"I think, in the end, we're going to be very successful with the lawsuit," Trump said. "It's an open-and-closed case."

The American Civil Liberties Union on Tuesday filed its own lawsuit in a U.S. District Court in California, alleging that "Trump disregarded the will of Congress with his emergency declaration."

Legal experts have said challenges to Trump's emergency declaration, which critics have called unconstitutional, face an uphill and probably losing battle in a showdown likely to be decided by the conservative-majority U.S. Supreme Court.

Trump declared the national emergency under a 1976 law after Congress declined to give him the $5.7 billion (4.36 billion pounds) he wanted to build parts of the barrier this year.

The president's demand for wall funding triggered a historic 35-day government shutdown that ended in January. Democrats and Republicans later agreed on a deal to avoid another shutdown with $1.4 billion allocated toward border fencing. Trump agreed to sign that and then declared a national emergency, redirecting an additional $6.7 billion beyond what lawmakers authorized for the project.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Virginia and Michigan joined forces for the lawsuit.

The states said Trump's order would cause them to lose millions of dollars in federal funding for National Guard units dealing with counter-drug activities and that redirection of funds from authorized military construction projects would damage their economies.

Texas landowners and an environmental group also filed suit against the move.

Trump predicted the legal challenges when he made the announcement in the White House Rose Garden last week, and he defended his right to make the declaration on Tuesday.

"We need strong borders. We have to stop drugs and crime and criminals and human trafficking.  And we have to stop all of those things that a strong wall will stop," he said.

House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the country's top Democrat, has called a wall immoral. The issue is likely to be a flashpoint in the 2020 presidential campaign, just as it was when Trump, a Republican, ran for president in 2016.

The ACLU suit, filed on behalf of the Sierra Club and the Southern Border Communities Coalition, said that in addition to diverting taxpayer money from other federal projects, Trump's barrier would affect "ecologically sensitive habitats" and disturb wilderness areas along the border.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-20

Opinion: The public sees through Trump’s national emergency lies. A new poll confirms it.

"A new NPR-PBS NewsHour-Marist poll [shows] that large majorities oppose Trump’s emergency and reject the lies justifying it. The poll also suggests that the political chatter is getting this wrong in another way: We all keep saying that Trump’s emergency will thrill his base, but the new findings indicate that the segment of Trump’s base that’s excited about this may be even more shriveled than we thought."

Here's the poll referenced by the WaPo article: 6-In-10 Disapprove Of Trump's Declaration Of A National Emergency

3 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Is this the same Trump who was so "confident" he could bully Mexico into paying for *his* wall that he was boasting about how quick and easy it would be for him?

Trump insists Mexico is paying for it via NAFTA 2.0, because he has no idea how it works.

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

"I think, in the end, we're going to be very successful with the lawsuit," Trump said. "It's an open-and-closed case."

Of course he will be "very successful". He is after all President Bafflegab Wall. Every state in the union could take him to court, plus 80% of the electorate and he'd still claim that he expects to win in court. That's typical Trump bafflegab. Say it enough and he thinks that will score his victory.

HIS wall is likely to be the straw that broke the camel's back. It's a real losing proposition for the man-child that claims to be the best in THE ART of the DEAL. Hope that straw works. If not, any one of dozens of pending investigations is sure to dead cock him before 2020.

In the meantime, he's providing lots of fodder for the late night comedy circuit. Gotta love that Rose Garden SNL skit (yes, "skit", not "sh*t", but same thing I guess).

Trump signs a bipartisan budget bill into law that doesn't fund his wall.

Then he declares a national emergency to find funds to build his wall without congressional approval, not even a congressional resolution of approval.

SCOTUS is going to really have to be creative if a majority SCOTUS wants to uphold Trump's DONE.

9 hours ago, neeray said:

Of course he will be "very successful". He is after all President Bafflegab Wall. Every state in the union could take him to court, plus 80% of the electorate and he'd still claim that he expects to win in court. That's typical Trump bafflegab. Say it enough and he thinks that will score his victory.

HIS wall is likely to be the straw that broke the camel's back. It's a real losing proposition for the man-child that claims to be the best in THE ART of the DEAL. Hope that straw works. If not, any one of dozens of pending investigations is sure to dead cock him before 2020.

In the meantime, he's providing lots of fodder for the late night comedy circuit. Gotta love that Rose Garden SNL skit (yes, "skit", not "sh*t", but same thing I guess).

Personally I am not so confident. trump has been stacking the Courts, including the Supreme Court, with his perceived loyalists. Let's see if they they have ethical spine to oppose trump's attempts to undermine the Constitution and government Departments to enable an authoritarian regime.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Personally I am not so confident. trump has been stacking the Courts, including the Supreme Court, with his perceived loyalists. Let's see if they they have ethical spine to oppose trump's attempts to undermine the Constitution and government Departments to enable an authoritarian regime.

So the democrats didn't do the same, perhaps that's why they made up fake rape allegations against kavanaugh, what kind of ethical spine as you put it is that.

Obama had 13 national emergencies I wonder why now its a problem when Trump does one, because it seems to me letting in millions of people illegally into your country plus huge amounts of drugs is an national emergency in any ones books. If this is not true please tell me so I can see the light. All I can see is trump derangement syndrome as he winds everyone up and it works every time. 

1 hour ago, jamesy9368 said:

So the democrats didn't do the same, perhaps that's why they made up fake rape allegations against kavanaugh, what kind of ethical spine as you put it is that.

Obama had 13 national emergencies I wonder why now its a problem when Trump does one, because it seems to me letting in millions of people illegally into your country plus huge amounts of drugs is an national emergency in any ones books. If this is not true please tell me so I can see the light. All I can see is trump derangement syndrome as he winds everyone up and it works every time. 

So  you  actually  purchased one of those  dolls??? I was led to believe they were  battery powered. But I  guess a wind up version is some sort of weird iconic  collection item to  tell  next generations  about " I remember when the orange baboon........".

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

I believe you are correct.

There was a delayed time frame to his musing that he may declare an emergency and to actually acting on it.

I am sure he spent this time to have a quiet chat with his cronies in the supreme court. May be at one of his resorts during a game of golf.

But it may take a while and the elections may beat him. Or not. He still polls well with his red neck base. And there are a lot of them.

3 hours ago, jamesy9368 said:

You are entitled to your opinions.

Most drugs do not enter US through the US Mexico border. Just a faint whiff of education to read how drugs enter the US would probably educate you a wee bit.

Most illegal overstays entered by ship and plane. The millions you quote have been dwindling every year. And are spread over decades.

And most of those are now critical to the US economy. It is a lame excuse to waste billions building a futile wall.

5 hours ago, jamesy9368 said:

No Kavanaugh was a sleazy party boy - his behavior was clearly documented. No fake allegations. 

Obama declared national emergencies and the right went crazy about the abuse of power.

President Obama DID NOT try to illegally appropriate money - That is what the Orange one is doing. The problem is the orange cult member have no principles. Anything Obama did was bad anything the orange one does is good are the operating principles of the orange cult members. 

Sad 

2 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

You are entitled to your opinions.

Most drugs do not enter US through the US Mexico border. Just a faint whiff of education to read how drugs enter the US would probably educate you a wee bit.

Most illegal overstays entered by ship and plane. The millions you quote have been dwindling every year. And are spread over decades.

And most of those are now critical to the US economy. It is a lame excuse to waste billions building a futile wall.

Well here a bit of education for you there are about 11,000,000 illegals living in the USA driving down wages for the legal citizens. The reason it has decreased recently is because of Trump making it an issue in 2016.  Since 2009, heroin seizures at the southwestern border have almost tripled, while meth seizures quintupled through 2014. Worse yet, cocaine and marijuana remain two of the most commonly seized drugs along our southern borders, equating to millions of pounds seized by U.S. Border Patrol. Total of Southern Border: 1,555,552 lbs. I am sure its gone up since then. The left wing Hill publication https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjGnrH3isvgAhU5AmMBHbiwDUsQFjACegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fopinion%2Fimmigration%2F424971-trump-is-right-walls-work-on-the-southern-border&usg=AOvVaw3XdyYUljuWtgercRnrX6t8 Walls work hope this helps with your education

7 hours ago, jamesy9368 said:

The same false equivalence again. Obama did not invent fake emergencies in order to bypass congress. Apart from the H1N1 pandemic, all other national emergencies from Obama were about SANCTIONS related to foreign countries, I.e. blocking Gaddafi's properties or drug cartels properties.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_emergencies_in_the_United_States

Well here a bit of education for you there are about 11,000,000 illegals living in the USA driving down wages for the legal citizens. The reason it has decreased recently is because of Trump making it an issue in 2016.  Since 2009, heroin seizures at the southwestern border have almost tripled, while meth seizures quintupled through 2014. Worse yet, cocaine and marijuana remain two of the most commonly seized drugs along our southern borders, equating to millions of pounds seized by U.S. Border Patrol. Total of Southern Border: 1,555,552 lbs. I am sure its gone up since then. The left wing Hill publication https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjGnrH3isvgAhU5AmMBHbiwDUsQFjACegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fopinion%2Fimmigration%2F424971-trump-is-right-walls-work-on-the-southern-border&usg=AOvVaw3XdyYUljuWtgercRnrX6t8 Walls work hope this helps with your education

If you want to get rid of illegal aliens then people like the orange cult leader and his business interests should not hire illegal aliens. The orange one's business are well documented as knowingly hiring illegal aliens. 

Businesses WANT and support illegal aliens because they drive down wages (as you pointed out). So vote democratic and reign in big corporate interests that control public policy through the republican party. 

Walls have never worked. Check out basic history 1a.

Drugs enter US by other means, shipping, air. They far exceed any attempts through the border.

More potential terrorists were arrested at the Canadian border. (33 to 5 in the last year) 

How much illegal actions go through the Canada border. You want to build a wall there?

The illegals you quote do the jobs no US citizen wants to do.

Farms, hotels and so on rely on the work that immigrants do that no US citizen is prepared to do.

Moreover these "illegals" have never committed crimes that exceeded US home crime.

US relies on them.

And walls. This is a silly argument. Walls have always successfully been gone around, over, under and through.

And it still leaves exposed your coastline. Please use logic and not motive to present a logical course.

2 hours ago, jamesy9368 said:

Perhaps you can provide the link to your drugs argument. I have previously read that the majority of illegal drugs, except marijuana, are imported to the US via legal entry points. In any case marijuana is rapidly being decriminalised. 

Sorry, but for me The Hill quoting Breitbart does not equate to fact. It is blindly obvious trump's Wall blah, blah is pure politics aimed at his core base. Would it not be a good idea for trump to propose new legislation to address the majority of illegals who enter the US via legal ports of entry, the question is why no action on this front during the two years he controlled the House and Senate.

I do hope the Democrats do not screw up during the 2010 elections. Another four years of trump's nepotism, pathological lying and attacks on the Rule of Law would, IMO, be a extremely negative for the US and democratic societies in general.

2 hours ago, Redline said:

Appears to be blatant abuse of power sidetracking congress.  I hope, for their sake, the GOP checks Trump because next time around there will be gun bans and universal healthcare the first week of a Democratic victory ???? 

I suspect you were being obtuse.

Because US lives will be saved if they do checks on "citizens" demanding weapons.

Because most of the world has a healthcare system to provide for people in a society.

I live in Thailand and it is constantly lambasted. But it provides a cheap healthcare system.

It also denies weapons to anyone except Military and Police. (plus a few others)

No one ever has suggested a ban on weapons. Just a check on your stability, whether a criminal and so on.

Worldwide healthcare is available in all western societies except the US.

Archived