Den Ha (Chiang Rai) - Any details?

simon43

Hi to all - Circumstances dictate that I'm probably going to move and work in Chiang Rai ????

Having recently returned to live in Thailand again after teaching for some years at an international school in Burma, I have been happily teaching Burmese and Chinese students 'online' from a temporary base in Ranong.  I teach Science, English, Maths, French and Thai to a variety of private, small group and large classes of students, aged from KG up to about 16 years old.  (The exact legality of this is always not fully cited by the Thai authorities, but I've never had any problems because I also do a lot of free English teaching in the local community - the local police/immigration know what I do and have never indicated that there are problems).

But the recent clarification/changes in the retirement visa requirements DO make a problem for me!  It's not an immediate problem, because I'm in Thailand on my Thai Elite visa, which I 'bought' some years ago when flush with money.  But now, although I have a steady and decent monthly income for a single (3-times happily-divorced) guy, I do not have money in the bank!  My Elite visa will soon expire it's 5-year term and I know that I will not have money in the bank to meet the needs of the retirement visa.  (I may have the money in the future after saving up some $$$, but not in time for when my Elite visa expires).

The best (and very welcome) alternative for me is to get a teaching job in Thailand at a school which will support me to obtain a B visa and work permit.  I can then get a salary for teaching at the school, as well as a second income from online teaching in the evenings and weekends. Problem solved!

Happily, despite my age (hitting 60), my teaching skills are in demand ????  I've been offered (and have accepted) a job at a school in CR....

I hope to relocate to CR in the next 2 months.

I've been looking at the ddproperty website for properties to rent.  I much prefer very simple types of properties, not modern houses.  There is a suitable property that's located in Den Ha ==> a wooden house on stilts, typical rural style, with a decent size of garden for my radio amateur antennas as well.

Being totally unfamiliar with Den Ha, can any local posters comment on the location?  I enjoy the simple life (no drinking, no bar-girls, plenty of fresh local fruit and veg.) and access to countryside .  I have my own car.  I also enjoy jogging.  There's a nearby park called Singha Park.  Is that suitable for jogging?

I appreciate any comments about living and relaxing in the Den Ha area.  Thanks.

Singha Park is absolutely amazing and many people use it for jogging and cycling in the evening.  They also sponsor many outdoor events.  You just missed the annual balloon festival.  I am not that familiar with Den Ha as I live quite far from town but suspect it is a good location for someone new to the area.  Welcome to Chiang Rai, I am pretty sure you will enjoy living here.

Den Ha is a nice enough semi-rural area convenient to town.

There's a decent fresh produce afternoon market that I use regularly across from Singha Park a little closer to town.

Farang tastes can be catered for at a German bakery and sausage maker just past the beginning of the four-lane going into the city.

I agree that there's good walks and jogs locally, and Singha Park has retail outlets offering their farm produce and a good coffee shop.

Simon.  Good luck with your new position. What has become of your airport hotel that was stolen from you at gun point. You had a 30 year lease on the land right?

Can you put up one of your Tee Pees in the forest around Den Ha?

That was the 4th little hotel that I built, all of them on 20-30 year rented land.  What did I do after being 'run out of Phuket'?  I simply stopped paying the land rent and, according to my land lease, the owner of the land repossessed it (but he did have a problem to kick out the druggies!).  There was no way to go back and run it again, definitely not good for my 'health'.

I sold my brand new teepees a few months ago - got about $1,000 for each one ????

28 minutes ago, simon43 said:

That was the 4th little hotel that I built, all of them on 20-30 year rented land.  What did I do after being 'run out of Phuket'?  I simply stopped paying the land rent and, according to my land lease, the owner of the land repossessed it (but he did have a problem to kick out the druggies!).  There was no way to go back and run it again, definitely not good for my 'health'.

I sold my brand new teepees a few months ago - got about $1,000 for each one ????

So the Thai owner of the land got a nice little newly constructed resort for free?  Are you sure he did not install the druggies?

So the Thai owner of the land got a nice little newly constructed resort for free?  Are you sure he did not install the druggies?

No he did not - I was a Tourist Police volunteer in that region for about 10 years and knew who was involved in the manufacture and sale of drugs.  It was that knowledge (and the fact that the drug-dealers knew that I knew this) that created some dangers for me.

Water under the bridge.... I've moved on from Phuket ????

Hi Simon,

Den Ha is a lovely part of the town in which to live.   It has its own wee market, which attracts many of the locals and beyond. There are lots of excellent restaurants there too.  A lovely coffee shop my wife and I use regularly called 'Bon Cafe'.   Not very well known, super clean and the owners are so kind.   Singha Park you already know about and having a car is ideal for getting about.   No lady bars nearby, which is a good thing too.   Enjoy your time there and welcome to Chiang Rai.

I teach Science, English, Maths, French and Thai to a variety of private, small group and large classes of students, aged from KG up to about 16 years old.  (The exact legality of this is always not fully cited by the Thai authorities, but I've never had any problems because I also do a lot of free English teaching in the local community - the local police/immigration know what I do and have never indicated that there are problems).

There's no question about the legality here. You work in Thailand or even volunteer, you need a work permit, end of story.

Is it true that authorities mostly turn a blind eye to it - absolutely but there was a case recently (down south somewhere) where an Australia was arrested for teaching Chinese kids online without a work permit and appropriate visa. 

Den Ha is well located for someone with a car. Not far from town. Singha Park has enough area to keep the most avid jogger happy. The restaurant there is pricey; however, food is good.

My only criticism of Chiang Rai is good restaurants are few and far compared to Chiang Mai. More laid back, though.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:47 AM, sceadugenga said:

Den Ha is a nice enough semi-rural area convenient to town.

There's a decent fresh produce afternoon market that I use regularly across from Singha Park a little closer to town.

Farang tastes can be catered for at a German bakery and sausage maker just past the beginning of the four-lane going into the city.

I agree that there's good walks and jogs locally, and Singha Park has retail outlets offering their farm produce and a good coffee shop.

hi do u have a adress of this German bakery

It's difficult to see, even in plain sight.

Worse now with road works.

Coming from the south on 1211 you arrive at the 4 lane road and after a few hundred metres you will see a small two story pink building on the left.

The Bakery/Deli is almost directly across the road, well camouflaged with potted plants.

An advertising banner hangs from the veranda.

Capture german.PNG

What about getting out in the nearby countryside from Den Ha?  I see there is a waterfall nearby?  Are there safe places to cycle (apart from Singha Park)?  I always liked to head off into the nearby hills in Shan State when I lived in Myanmar.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:38 AM, simon43 said:

What about getting out in the nearby countryside from Den Ha?  I see there is a waterfall nearby?  Are there safe places to cycle (apart from Singha Park)?  I always liked to head off into the nearby hills in Shan State when I lived in Myanmar.

Good cycling country. Did 7500km on a MTB around Chiang Rai last year. The 1211 is not my favorite road (can be quite busy) but sometimes you have to use it to get to places........

Archived