What is the best visa for me?

2 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

I am am so desperate, border runs are sooo expensive!!!

I bet they are, since Taiwanese nationals do not qualify for visa exempt and they would get VOA and a permission of stay of 15 days only.

Edited by lkv

18 minutes ago, lkv said:

I bet they are, since Taiwanese nationals do not qualify for visa exempt and they would get VOA and a permission of stay of 15 days only.

Well, we get a tourist visa for 60days but after that... border runs!!!

16 minutes ago, Lemonlime said:

Well, we get a tourist visa for 60days but after that... border runs!!!

Well, you can tell your parents that "living the dream in Thailand" incurs additional costs, as another poster mentioned.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

Then, what about signing for a school and not going to it? 

not sure if I am allowed to mention it. schools that don't require attendance do still exist, certainly in bangkok. they cost more than normal as they forge your attendance so it is illegal, but they do exist.

why not just attend a school and learn thai since it's not a weird and chinesy language? most only do part time hours anyway.

that aside you are looking at border runs to stay here longer term.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

not sure if I am allowed to mention it. schools that don't require attendance do still exist, certainly in bangkok. they cost more than normal as they forge your attendance so it is illegal, but they do exist.

why not just attend a school and learn thai since it's not a weird and chinesy language? most only do part time hours anyway.

Pattaya same,  extra  3K every 90 days.

I think they would rather do something else.

ED  1 year visa  easiest for under 50's  only circa 15k in pattaya 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

Well, I am signing up for the Thai diploma for foreigners program in UDRU but it only lasts for 4months (or 8months but I don’t want to finish the other 4 cuz the course will be boring) 

idk what to do after that

• Sad 1

Just now, Lemonlime said:

Well, I am signing up for the Thai diploma for foreigners program in UDRU but it only lasts for 4months (or 8months but I don’t want to finish the other 4 cuz the course will be boring) 

Muay Thai....

6 hours ago, glegolo said:

agree and spot on,a restless young 20 year old need to create a future before starts to dream impossible dreams of living in Thailand. I hope we are not talking about just horny stuff here as reason to come to Thailand??

I wish I had come to Thailand at that age.  Granted, I was not independently financed, so would have needed to get a Bachelors first, then teach here. 

5 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

Is Vientiane dangerous?? 

SE Asia is generally "not dangerous" as compared to many areas of our passport-countries - and most other countries where I have spent considerable time.  (Edit - I see you are from Taiwan, which might be even safer).

There are Two Different and Independent Parts to staying here as a Tourist for longer/frequent periods:

Regarding obtaining Tourist Visas:

Each consulate has an arbitrary limit on how many Tourist Visas they will issue, based on how many they see in your passport. Some consulates only count the Visas from their own consulate, while others consider time-in-country and/or other Consulate's Thai visas.

There are conflicting reports on the 'rules' for each consulate because their arbitrary rules change over time. Based some recent reports, Penang appears to be more willing to issue visas if you use an agent, while other consulates forbid the use of agents. Bottom line, Consulates make up their own rules, the rules are not published, and the rules can change at any time.

Start with the most difficult consulates before you have much history in your current passport, then use the more lenient ones after this.  When you eventually get a "remark stamp" (sometimes in red, blue, or black ink) on a Tourist Visa, saying "This person travels to Thailand frequently..." then enter with that visa, and apply for a new passport (as Thai consulate-personnel recommend).  Then, start the process again.

Regarding Entering the Country:

Currently, you can enter repeatedly on Tourist Visas, per the law.  But, after the first few months you should only enter the country though law-abiding land-borders.  This is because some entry-points are run by a clique who believe the written-laws are not strict enough, so impose their own made-up laws.  Currently, that clique controls several airports and one land-border (Poipet/Aranyaprathet - avoid it always).

Even if refused entry by land (rare), you could walk back where you just came from, and try again later and/or at another entry-point.  If denied by air, you are locked in detention then forced to buy a last-minute-priced ticket to fly back where you came from.  The country where you are sent may insist you then purchase another last-minute-priced ticket to fly back to your passport-country.

Always have a "Back Up Plan" for where you will go if things suddenly change.  There is a faction within the power-structure here who wants to drive out as many longer-staying foreigners as possible - both young, old, married to a Thai, etc.   "Security" to live here is a misnomer for anyone who is not a Thai citizen under the current conditions.  The current negative-trend against foreigners pre-dates the current govt - so don't expect "elections" to change this.  It's a "deep state bureaucracy" personnel-problem, which in no way reflects the will of the Thai people.

4 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

Certain amount of time?? 

There is no legal limit, so ignore anyone who says there is.  Anti-foreigner Immigration officers have been quoted with all sorts of non-legal statements on the matter.   This immigration-faction doesn't believe in following the law - rather, seem to think they "know better what is best" than those who wrote the laws.

Edited by JackThompson

3 hours ago, Greyhat said:

I'm no expert but since nobody else has suggested it I'll put it out there. OP why not get an ED visa and study Thai at a private language school? Then you've got a year before you have to do another border run and only have to report to immigration. 

Then, what about signing for a school and not going to it? 

Immigration has a special set-up for this.  In fact, whether you go or not, you have to pay off immigration for your extensions at many offices, or face punishment for not paying their corruption-money. 

But, if I were taking classes here, I would attend, and document each attendance with pics to prove it - just so they cannot come back later and say you violated the terms of your Visa/Extensions.  If you like Thailand, it would not hurt to learn the language, anyway.

1 hour ago, Lemonlime said:

That's a good start.  Might as well finish it, though.  School doesn't usually eat all one's free time.  Then, learn Thai for a year or two (depends on the school, if they have advanced courses).  Then, you could continue by studying other languages - OR ...

Unless you are sure your parents will always be paying for you to live here, working towards an English degree would provide a permanent job opportunity in Thailand.  You could take the minimum hours needed to qualify for an ED Visa/Extensions, and slowly work up your credits until you have your Bachelors degree. 

If you don't want to do any of this, then you are stuck with 60-day Tourist Visas + 30-day extensions, plus Visa trips every 90 days.  Then, new passports ever 2 years or less.  I would not count on this being possible forever, though.

You are 20 years old and don't have anything comparable to a high school certificate?
Anyway, here's some advice.

Sorry I didn't bother to read all posts but if you want to go the ED-VISA route you could:

- study something in a private institution starting from Thai language, Muay Thai, something related to arts etc...
As long as you pay and regularly show up in class they can provide you with the appropriate visa.

- study at a regular university, may it be government or private. Most likely you will have to join some special or international programme to get the lectures in English. These programmes cost a lot more than the regular programmes and it is possible that they will accept you without prerequisite. You need to talk to them in person.

Good luck

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Immigration has a special set-up for this.  In fact, whether you go or not, you have to pay off immigration for your extensions at many offices, or face punishment for not paying their corruption-money. 

But, if I were taking classes here, I would attend, and document each attendance with pics to prove it - just so they cannot come back later and say you violated the terms of your Visa/Extensions.  If you like Thailand, it would not hurt to learn the language, anyway.

That's a good start.  Might as well finish it, though.  School doesn't usually eat all one's free time.  Then, learn Thai for a year or two (depends on the school, if they have advanced courses).  Then, you could continue by studying other languages - OR ...

Unless you are sure your parents will always be paying for you to live here, working towards an English degree would provide a permanent job opportunity in Thailand.  You could take the minimum hours needed to qualify for an ED Visa/Extensions, and slowly work up your credits until you have your Bachelors degree. 

If you don't want to do any of this, then you are stuck with 60-day Tourist Visas + 30-day extensions, plus Visa trips every 90 days.  Then, new passports ever 2 years or less.  I would not count on this being possible forever, though.

By the second semester they will be teaching academic writing, not interested. I decided to go to a 1yr visa language school but is it ok signing up right away without leaving Thailand? And then to another school, and then to another? 

There isn’t a visa for you unless you’re prepared to buy a Privilege Entry Visa for 500K baht.

You are stuck using tourist visas until immigration stop you, which at your age is likely to happen sooner rather than later.

Thailand do not provide a long term visa/permits for 20 year olds that don’t work except the PE visa.

By the second semester they will be teaching academic writing, not interested. I decided to go to a 1yr visa language school but is it ok signing up right away without leaving Thailand? And then to another school, and then to another? 

Yes - provided the schools and courses are approved by immigration.  Some study multiple languages to stay several years. 

As to the Thai diploma for foreigners program, I suggested completing it to get that diploma, to open further opportunities in education or etc.  I took some "required" courses I found absolutely worthless as part of my Bachelors degree. 

That said, unless one enjoys their "work" (artists, musicians, etc), then the only purpose of a "job" is to provide needed income.  If one doesn't need the income, no reason to subordinate oneself to to following-orders, which facilitate business-activity, which primarily (disproportionately) benefits other parties.  The same would apply to taking coursework "for a job" if that end-goal is unnecessary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - provided the schools and courses are approved by immigration.  Some study multiple languages to stay several years. 

As to the Thai diploma for foreigners program, I suggested completing it to get that diploma, to open further opportunities in education or etc.  I took some "required" courses I found absolutely worthless as part of my Bachelors degree. 

That said, unless one enjoys their "work" (artists, musicians, etc), then the only purpose of a "job" is to provide needed income.  If one doesn't need the income, no reason to subordinate oneself to to following-orders, which facilitate business-activity, which primarily (disproportionately) benefits other parties.  The same would apply to taking coursework "for a job" if that end-goal is unnecessary.

Hurray, I love languages anyways! Just that r u sure that there are enough schools that open language courses? They often cancel their course if there aren’t enough students! Not in Bangkok but in other areas like issan? Don’t like noisy Bangkok! 

2 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

Hurray, I love languages anyways! Just that r u sure that there are enough schools that open language courses? They often cancel their course if there aren’t enough students! Not in Bangkok but in other areas like issan? Don’t like noisy Bangkok! 

You will need to be near a large city to find language schools accredited by the Ministry of Education. You could consider doing what I do, and living on the outskirts of Bangkok, near the BTS or MRT, and traveling in for lessons. You might find courses in Ubon Ratchathani or Udon Thai, but forget about a Non Ed visa for attending a language course in small towns. Personally, I find large towns in Isaan less pleasant to live in than the outskirts of Bangkok, due to the lack of mass transit systems that allow you to avoid all the traffic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You will need to be near a large city to find language schools accredited by the Ministry of Education. You could consider doing what I do, and living on the outskirts of Bangkok, near the BTS or MRT, and traveling in for lessons. You might find courses in Ubon Ratchathani or Udon Thai, but forget about a Non Ed visa for attending a language course in small towns. Personally, I find large towns in Isaan less pleasant to live in than the outskirts of Bangkok, due to the lack of mass transit systems that allow you to avoid all the traffic.

What about Chiangmai then??

23 minutes ago, Lemonlime said:

Lots of options in CM for schools.  Also, there is a "self defense" class taught by ex-military personnel which gets visas/extensions easily, due to their connections.   There are also organizations which offer "Non-O" extensions for part-time volunteer work helping some poorer communities there.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, Lemonlime said:

For courses that facilitate education visas, Chiang Mai is no problem. Personally, I really liked Chiang Mai 25 years ago, but today I like it much less. With no mass transit system and heavy traffic, getting around is a hassle. In many cases, it is possible to walk, but pollution is at a similar level to central Bangkok (see https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&city1=Bangkok&country2=Thailand&city2=Chiang+Mai) and air quality can actually be worse during the burning season.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, Lemonlime said:

Taiwan (I know this is weird) 

Certain amount of time?? 

I used to live in ROC for more than a year, I was 22 years old that time, Taipei is a sparkling city, you will love it.

But remember, Taiwan is an Island, you have no borders to hope in or out, if you get a visa trouble you have to fly out to Hong Kong or Japan or try to negotiate your stay at the local immigration. I usually spend weeks in Hong Kong and then 3 months in Taiwan and repeat for 4x except the first time, it was possible to extend for 60 days.

It was 2 decades ago, I have no idea how it works today. I spend months in the east coast between Taitung and Dashi, great surf, perfect waves, lot of your chinese people, also a few foreign. Taiwan was one of the best experience I had in my life, I still have friends there after all those years. Go for it!