Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Hua Hin: Police issue summons for "hothead" motorcyclist who filmed cops at checkpoint

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately, should the motorcyclist be wrong or right, in this country nobody trusts the corrupt Police...so obviously public opinion would favour him rather then the highly corrupt Thai Police that are always looking to make a fast buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Which countries jail people for having no licence with them and/or no helmet?

Driving with a suspended license can get you put in jail in Canada especially if caught two or three times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

Driving with a suspended license can get you put in jail in Canada especially if caught two or three times.

How is "driving with a suspended license........especially if caught two or three times." the same as not having a licence on your person, once?

 

So, that's Germany and Canada ruled out, just 194 to go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

How is "driving with a suspended license........especially if caught two or three times." the same as not having a licence on your person, once?

 

So, that's Germany and Canada ruled out, just 194 to go.

Its the law in most developed countries, they are all pretty much the same. You will be jailed if its 2nd or 3rd offence. Keep on counting buddy.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, samsensam said:

 

a country that jails people for not having a motorcycle license or wearing a helmet would be a much worse place than thailand. can you give examples where this is the case?

In the United States, some States have MANDATORY helmet laws.  You get caught driving without one, MAJOR fine for the first offense, jail time for any offense after that. 

Also in just about every State, if you get caught on a bike with no valid bike license, same scenario.  Major fine for first time, jail time after that. 

Edited by Just1Voice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, Just1Voice said:

No helmet and no license on him.  He should be grateful that all he had to pay was 200 baht.  In a country with REAL laws, his butt would be walking - after paying a hefty fine and some jail time. 

 

drivel from start to finish, or name the country where

jail is an alternative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mike324 said:

Its the law in most developed countries, they are all pretty much the same. You will be jailed if its 2nd or 3rd offence. Keep on counting buddy.

Where does it say it was his 2nd or 3rd offence? It's certainly not the law that you must carry your licence with you in the UK, you have seven days to produce it at a station of your choice.

Are you confusing being unlicensed with not having your licence on your person?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did the officers know where to look for the video so quickly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 10:17 AM, spidermike007 said:

He was wrong, as he was breaking the law by driving without a license. But, he was right for outing the franchisees in action. It is never about law enforcement here. 

If the Police wrote it up and gave a receipt for a legit penalty  then only Tossa was wrong entirely. That he  compounded his issues with the situation by ignoring a prior warning  which he ignored is not  too clever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, Blue Muton said:

Which countries jail people for having no licence with them and/or no helmet?

47 states, D.C., Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands have a helmet law for motorcyclists.

 

You get caught, immediately get a ticket and the bike is impounded until you show up with a helmet.  So, you're fined for not wearing a helmet, then you have to go get one (buy or borrow), then you have to pay the impound fee.  If it happens again, same scenario, except this time you go to jail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Where does it say it was his 2nd or 3rd offence? It's certainly not the law that you must carry your licence with you in the UK, you have seven days to produce it at a station of your choice.

Are you confusing being unlicensed with not having your licence on your person?

It doesn't, I'm just point it out out if its 2nd or 3rd offence in most places, its certainly a jail sentence. Since Thailand has no way of checking offenses on the spot, we will just assume its a first offence. But whats to say that it wasn't his 2nd or 3rd offence too? Thats one main problem with Thailand too, fines are too lenient. Its all too common to see motorcyclist in Thailand without licence. And motorcyclist death is the the reason why Thailand has such high road fatality rates.

 

UK is an exception, good for the folks in UK if they forgot their license.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mike324 said:

It doesn't, I'm just point it out out if its 2nd or 3rd offence in most places, its certainly a jail sentence. Since Thailand has no way of checking offenses on the spot, we will just assume its a first offence. But whats to say that it wasn't his 2nd or 3rd offence too? Thats one main problem with Thailand too, fines are too lenient. Its all too common to see motorcyclist in Thailand without licence. And motorcyclist death is the the reason why Thailand has such high road fatality rates.

 

UK is an exception, good for the folks in UK if they forgot their license.

 

Mike, I agree with all that, and while I'm no expert in Thai law, I cannot fail to notice that the enforcement here is wholly inadequate, which in turn is a large cause of the slaughter on the roads here. It does bug me when I see unroadworthy, unlawful vehicles and helmetless motorcycle riders and passengers sail through checkpoints and past police stations.

 

I was initialy replying to the following BS assertion, which refers to the OP, where there is no mention of this being anything more than a first offence of the guy not having his licence with him when stopped:

 

"No helmet and no license on him.  He should be grateful that all he had to pay was 200 baht.  In a country with REAL laws, his butt would be walking - after paying a hefty fine and some jail time."

 

When I was a youth I would expect anybody in the UK found to be driving whilst disqualified to be in serious trouble, which is why I didn't take my bike out when I was on a ban. Nowadays it often seems to be little more than a slap on the wrist.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, Just1Voice said:

No helmet and no license on him.  He should be grateful that all he had to pay was 200 baht.  In a country with REAL laws, his butt would be walking - after paying a hefty fine and some jail time. 

 

I don't see where it says he had no helmet, just that he didn't have his license on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 10:01 PM, Just1Voice said:

No helmet

While I always wore a helmet when riding a motorbike, wherever that may have been in the world, I agree that the law in Thailand should be applied in a more vigorous manner.  Sadly, it is not and thus many people who ride without wearing one and get involved in a collision suffer the consequences of their action but few, if any, seem to learn from such incidents.  However, having read the report in Thai and its translation into English, I have failed to see where it states this person was riding without wearing a helmet.  His only "crime" was riding while not carrying his licence, a common occurrence amongst Thais and non-Thais alike.  Usually, when a person not carrying a licence is stopped, that person is allowed time to appear at the police station and show the said article.  That does not appear to have been allowed in this case.

'nuf sed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...