Hua Hin: Police issue summons for "hothead" motorcyclist who filmed cops at checkpoint

webfact

Hua Hin: Police issue summons for "hothead" motorcyclist who filmed cops at checkpoint

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A motorcyclist started filming at a police checkpoint in Hua Hin after he was fined for not having a license. 

He was warned by the head of the checkpoint that if he posted the clip with inappropriate information he would be in trouble.

He did just that - now two officers have filed a report against him alleging they have been brought into disrepute.

The expletive laden post by Tossaphon, 20, went on his "Nam Khaeng Sai, sai luuk chit" page minutes after he had to pay a 200 baht fine. 

He claimed the police were just making money from him and used foul language. 

Pol Capt Worawit Sa-atnak said that Tossaphon was pulled over at 11.16 am a checkpoint set up outside Hua Hin Withayalai school between 10 and 12 noon on Monday. 

He was fined 200 baht for not having a licence in his possession. He started filming. 

Capt Worawit said: "I told him that if you post that inappropriately online will be in contravention of tech law". 

By 12 noon he saw that Tossaphon had failed to heed the warning. 

Senior Sgt Majors Sumit and Prajak who appeared in the clip have filed a formal complaint. 

A summons has been issued for Tossaphon to appear at the police station. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-20

12 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

No helmet and no license on him.  He should be grateful that all he had to pay was 200 baht.  In a country with REAL laws, his butt would be walking - after paying a hefty fine and some jail time. 

Which countries jail people for having no licence with them and/or no helmet?

15 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

No helmet and no license on him.  He should be grateful that all he had to pay was 200 baht.  In a country with REAL laws, his butt would be walking - after paying a hefty fine and some jail time. 

a country that jails people for not having a motorcycle license or wearing a helmet would be a much worse place than thailand. can you give examples where this is the case?

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He was wrong, as he was breaking the law by driving without a license. But, he was right for outing the franchisees in action. It is never about law enforcement here. 

Two reasons why nothing will ever change...
Thais don't think they have to have licences or obey road regulations!

Police who just take a road-side tip and allow offenders to carry-on !

7 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Germany, if those crimes are accompanied with bribing a police officer. In Germany however the officer would be jailed as well for accepting the bribe, here it's just a misunderstanding.

20 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Germany, if those crimes are accompanied with bribing a police officer. In Germany however the officer would be jailed as well for accepting the bribe, here it's just a misunderstanding.

7 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Given that the jail sentence would be for atempting to bribe or actualy bribing a police officer, that rules out Germany. thanks.

42 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:
 7 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Given that the jail sentence would be for atempting to bribe or actualy bribing a police officer, that rules out Germany. thanks.

I knew somebody who was jailed for putting 100DM in his driving license and handing it over to an officer when stopped for speeding.

8 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

plus the crime of bribery.

12 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

Driving with a suspended license can get you put in jail in Canada especially if caught two or three times.

How is "driving with a suspended license........especially if caught two or three times." the same as not having a licence on your person, once?

So, that's Germany and Canada ruled out, just 194 to go.

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

How is "driving with a suspended license........especially if caught two or three times." the same as not having a licence on your person, once?

So, that's Germany and Canada ruled out, just 194 to go.

Its the law in most developed countries, they are all pretty much the same. You will be jailed if its 2nd or 3rd offence. Keep on counting buddy.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, samsensam said:

a country that jails people for not having a motorcycle license or wearing a helmet would be a much worse place than thailand. can you give examples where this is the case?

In the United States, some States have MANDATORY helmet laws.  You get caught driving without one, MAJOR fine for the first offense, jail time for any offense after that. 

Also in just about every State, if you get caught on a bike with no valid bike license, same scenario.  Major fine for first time, jail time after that. 

On 2/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, Just1Voice said:

drivel from start to finish, or name the country where

jail is an alternative

4 hours ago, mike324 said:

Its the law in most developed countries, they are all pretty much the same. You will be jailed if its 2nd or 3rd offence. Keep on counting buddy.

Where does it say it was his 2nd or 3rd offence? It's certainly not the law that you must carry your licence with you in the UK, you have seven days to produce it at a station of your choice.

Are you confusing being unlicensed with not having your licence on your person?

On 2/20/2019 at 10:17 AM, spidermike007 said:

He was wrong, as he was breaking the law by driving without a license. But, he was right for outing the franchisees in action. It is never about law enforcement here. 

If the Police wrote it up and gave a receipt for a legit penalty  then only Tossa was wrong entirely. That he  compounded his issues with the situation by ignoring a prior warning  which he ignored is not  too clever.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, Blue Muton said:

47 states, D.C., Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands have a helmet law for motorcyclists.

You get caught, immediately get a ticket and the bike is impounded until you show up with a helmet.  So, you're fined for not wearing a helmet, then you have to go get one (buy or borrow), then you have to pay the impound fee.  If it happens again, same scenario, except this time you go to jail. 

17 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Where does it say it was his 2nd or 3rd offence? It's certainly not the law that you must carry your licence with you in the UK, you have seven days to produce it at a station of your choice.

Are you confusing being unlicensed with not having your licence on your person?

It doesn't, I'm just point it out out if its 2nd or 3rd offence in most places, its certainly a jail sentence. Since Thailand has no way of checking offenses on the spot, we will just assume its a first offence. But whats to say that it wasn't his 2nd or 3rd offence too? Thats one main problem with Thailand too, fines are too lenient. Its all too common to see motorcyclist in Thailand without licence. And motorcyclist death is the the reason why Thailand has such high road fatality rates.

UK is an exception, good for the folks in UK if they forgot their license.

2 hours ago, mike324 said:

It doesn't, I'm just point it out out if its 2nd or 3rd offence in most places, its certainly a jail sentence. Since Thailand has no way of checking offenses on the spot, we will just assume its a first offence. But whats to say that it wasn't his 2nd or 3rd offence too? Thats one main problem with Thailand too, fines are too lenient. Its all too common to see motorcyclist in Thailand without licence. And motorcyclist death is the the reason why Thailand has such high road fatality rates.

UK is an exception, good for the folks in UK if they forgot their license.

Mike, I agree with all that, and while I'm no expert in Thai law, I cannot fail to notice that the enforcement here is wholly inadequate, which in turn is a large cause of the slaughter on the roads here. It does bug me when I see unroadworthy, unlawful vehicles and helmetless motorcycle riders and passengers sail through checkpoints and past police stations.

I was initialy replying to the following BS assertion, which refers to the OP, where there is no mention of this being anything more than a first offence of the guy not having his licence with him when stopped:

"No helmet and no license on him.  He should be grateful that all he had to pay was 200 baht.  In a country with REAL laws, his butt would be walking - after paying a hefty fine and some jail time."

When I was a youth I would expect anybody in the UK found to be driving whilst disqualified to be in serious trouble, which is why I didn't take my bike out when I was on a ban. Nowadays it often seems to be little more than a slap on the wrist.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, Just1Voice said:

I don't see where it says he had no helmet, just that he didn't have his license on him.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:01 PM, Just1Voice said:

No helmet

While I always wore a helmet when riding a motorbike, wherever that may have been in the world, I agree that the law in Thailand should be applied in a more vigorous manner.  Sadly, it is not and thus many people who ride without wearing one and get involved in a collision suffer the consequences of their action but few, if any, seem to learn from such incidents.  However, having read the report in Thai and its translation into English, I have failed to see where it states this person was riding without wearing a helmet.  His only "crime" was riding while not carrying his licence, a common occurrence amongst Thais and non-Thais alike.  Usually, when a person not carrying a licence is stopped, that person is allowed time to appear at the police station and show the said article.  That does not appear to have been allowed in this case.

'nuf sed.

Archived