Requirements for Leave of Absense

In my employment contract it is stated that I can take "10 days personal leave". However, practically it seems to be very complicated, as the school not only wants proof of my leave reasons, but also told me: "10 days leave does include the weekends"! -  Mind you, this is a government school, open Mon-Fri, so neither am I required to work weekends, nor have I ever done so. - Can someone 'in the know', confirm or refute the school's claim, perhaps based on the (employment) law of the land?

Everything is relative.  Consider you are not working on a Thai fishing boat where you almost never have a day off and lucky if they let you off the boat.  You will likely not win this battle...if you like your job you do as you are told...this is Thailand.

Well, Thai teachers have a very lenient contract. I know for a fact that some use whole days for unnecessary stuff like bringing a car from Udon Thani to the daughter in Bangkok.

Likewise, with regards to holidays, some schools are anal about "local rules". Others let you go away and recharge your batteries.

Medical appointments, errants to run. Perhaps you can compromise and just take the  n e c e s s a r y  2 hours off?

Your leave must be approved, obviously. This leave is not extended holiday, it's for emergencies, funerals, getting stuck out if the country. Maybe a PD seminar. 

I've known few Thai teachers to be absent, it's always a one off medical. Teaching is a job in Thailand where you can't be absent. It's not so much the students suffer loss from your droll lessons, but another teacher needs to cover you - for free. All schedules are maxed out. My suspicion is that you honestly think you're contractually entitled to an additional two weeks of holiday.

Its the end of the year as well so it would appear you really have no intention of returning if you're willing to battle with them over holiday in February. You have a full month upcoming April. March is lesson planning and prep time. Take the leave + sign the contract with April pay // no show in May = MONNEE. So genius. I wouldn't renew your contract personally.

Thai law doesn't matter. If you're not getting along with the school, you need to move on. You're going to throw some vague labor law in their faces?? They're going to do what?

Archived