Cement fibre facia boards

petermik

Gents I want to fit a lightweight PVC canopy to my facia board (20 mm thickness) what are the best type of fitting,s will ordinary heavy duty screws do the job...in the kit provided expansion bolts are supplied as though it,s being fitted to a wall.

Thanks for any input.

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Can't really work out from your post what your doing, so picture would be better.

What's do you think is wrong with the fixings supplied. 

The fixings supplied are for fitting the canopy to a wall....mine needs fitting to my fascia board as you can see in the pic. the steps leading up to the terrace get wet when rain bounces up from the path...a canopy 2 metres wide 600mm deep over the steps will stop this....I hope.

DSCN0340.JPG

Depends how big the canopy is , full width or just to protect the car. Personally, I would be leary of fitting a fitting a full width PVC canopy to the facia board since in the event of a tropical storm it will act like a sail. If the wind gets under it it could blow down and take the facia board with it.

If its shade you want, roll down blinds might be better since in a storm they can be rolled up.

Sorry, we posted at the same time. Now I read your latest post I see what you want to do.

Might work as long as the rain is falling down vertically, not being blown around. 

I will just add that we had a similar problem at our home.

One evening it started to rain and I rushed out to bring in my motorcycle. The ceramic tiles on the stairs were wet and I slipped and fell hard. I was lucky just to badly bruise a rib along with a few facial scars. After this , I got my angle grinder out and beveled the leading edge of the ceramic tiles and also stuck some 2 inch non slip tape across the full width.

Better late than never

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

The fixings supplied are for fitting the canopy to a wall....mine needs fitting to my fascia board as you can see in the pic. the steps leading up to the terrace get wet when rain bounces up from the path...a canopy 2 metres wide 600mm deep over the steps will stop this....I hope.

DSCN0340.JPG

OK when you erect the canopy fix it through the faciaboard into the wood or steel structure that that the faciaboard is fixed to with suitable large enough ordinary screws.  

7 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Doubtful that the fascia or fascia fixings will have enough strength to carry that extra loading over time when you factor in wind and stress

Perhaps a frame that can be secured to the pillars first...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

It,s a lightweight PVC canopy from Homepro....and it is quite light....but yes I do wonder about it taking off and flying through the air when we get some strong winds.....haven,t completely made up my mind yet :whistling:

I would fix a vinyl roller blind to the underside of those steel beams in line with the columns. drop them in seconds when a storm hits, will at least keep the area to the door dry.

as for the steps, well if its pissing down you will not be going outside anyway.

I have reasonably heavy roller blinds 1.5m wie and a 2.3m drop. when the rain comes, I have to tie them back to the balurades as they can blow out almost horizontal.

a lightweight structure I fear will not withstand the winds and result in damage somewhere.

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Gents I want to fit a lightweight PVC canopy to my facia board (20 mm thickness) what are the best type of fitting,s will ordinary heavy duty screws do the job...in the kit provided expansion bolts are supplied as though it,s being fitted to a wall.

Thanks for any input.

You need toggle bolts or deforming metal plugs to hold it to a 20mm board, assuming shera or conwood, screws will just pull out

if you are attaching over shera board etc then you really need to attach it to the same framework the boards are attached to for strength otherwise strong wind will simply rip it off. Hopefully the framework is solid and not widely spaced, without being able to see exactly what it is made from will be the biggest problem, thai builders arent known for using better quality products

Archived