Pro-rating salaries for incomplete months worked

I will not be renewing my contract with my school, and my current contract will end on March 31st. However, I will continue working in our school's summer camp for the first two weeks of April. Before I go in to discuss compensation for this time with my administration, I want to better understand standard operating procedure in Thailand re: pro-rating salaries. 

In my experience in the West, the standard way to pro-rate a salary would be to divide the monthly salary by the number of working days in the month (no weekends) to determine the daily rate. You can then use this daily rate to determine how much to pay or deduct. It seems that Singapore calculates the daily rate this way as well.

However, in the past when I had to take unpaid leave from the school due to a death in the family, I noticed that they used the total number of days in the month to calculate the daily rate rather than just the working days (i.e. 30 days in April vs. 22 working days in April). When calculating a deduction, this works out in the employee's favor as it considers weekends to be paid days (not sure how that makes sense but maybe someone can explain). However, if they're calculating salary for an incomplete month of work, the employee would not be getting paid in full because they aren't getting paid for weekend days they were never supposed to work in the first place. For example, if the employee finishes work on a Monday, they get paid for the weekend; if they finish on a Friday, they do not get paid for the weekend. If my school pro-rates my salary in this way in April I stand to lose about 3,000 baht.

Using 30-31 days to calculate the daily rate does not seem to me to be best practice. If I'm contracted to work five working days a week then those should be the only days considered when calculating a pro-rate. I would appreciate any insight into how this makes sense with the Thai wage system, or how to approach negotiating this issue with my school if it comes up. They've been pretty amenable about these kind of things as long as I bring the math with me in a spreadsheet, so I'd like to come prepared. 

Thanks!

Archived