RTP: What to do about tourists who break the traffic rules while renting vehicles in Thailand?

webfact

RTP: What to do about tourists who break the traffic rules while renting vehicles in Thailand?

10pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The cop at the center of reforming old traffic laws and implementing a points system has raised the issue of what to do about foreign tourists who rent vehicles and break the law while in Thailand. 

Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat has asked representatives from the Royal Thai Police and the Department of Land Transport to recommend proposals so that foreigners can be dealt with appropriately and not just do as they please on the Thai roads. 

Maj-Gen Ekkaluk said that negotiations with the National Legislative Assembly and other agencies had been ongoing in regards to reforming 1979 laws.

Such laws allowed such practices as confiscating licences for fine payment at police stations. These are being replaced with an online penalty points system that will see fines issued and paid differently to the past. 

He said that outline approval for the points system was granted on February 14th. Now just a few more legal hurdles need to be overcome. 

He hoped that within six months the new points system would be functioning. 

Along with what to do about foreigners breaking the traffic rules in rented vehicles. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-20

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What should be done? That's easy...

Minor Infraction

- 1st Offence: Fine them.
- 2nd Offence: Fine them double or triple.

- 3rd Offence: Treat it as a Major Infraction (see below).

Major Infraction
- Arrest them, try them, fine/and or jail them, and then deport them and put them on a blacklist so they can never return.

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

recommend proposals so that foreigners can be dealt with appropriately and not just do as they please on the Thai roads. 

What a Big Joke!!!!!

Ya, like foreigners are even a tiny proportion compared to all the horrible driving that's done here by the locals, drunk and otherwise.

How about looking in the mirror first!

I do not get his dilemma .

tourists get fined for breaking road rules, what more does he want? Blood?

points system makes sense for locals , tourists do not stay long enough to loose the points ????

Seems this days every cop and every department is out for foreigners as if foreigners are the source of all problems in Thailand 

Again-what a lot of crap 

tourist cause about 1/2%

of the traffic violations in Thailand 

today I passed 2 police check points 

only farang stopped 

hundreds  of Thai pass through 

no helmets no no plates 

3 on a bike 

bikes so old just about moving 

they are not stopped as they have no money to pay the fine 

another big Joke 

Every day I read about another rule against western  tourists in Thailand 

no wonder so many western  tourists avoid Thailand now Vietnam 

cambodia Philippine 

all welcome us

and exchange rates much better 

I was riding a bike in Vietnam for 3 weeks 

never was I stopped 

but saluted and smiled at by the police 

what a difference 

Wake up thailand

Is this guy retarded?

Clearly he is not fit to be in Law enforcement if he has to ask how to deal with foreigners (are they dealt with differently from the Thais? Higher bribes?) who break road rules. 

<deleted>, does this moron think there should be one law for thais, and a different law for foreigners?

give them a trophy for taking on the culture. They need to learn to do runners. I have taken off from many a road block just as thais do spinning the wheels outa there. I aint paying corruption nor should tourists until this screwy country can enforce a dam law to all indiscriminately. "Indiscriminately" being the key word here.

39 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What a Big Joke!!!!!

Ya, like foreigners are even a tiny proportion compared to all the horrible driving that's done here by the locals, drunk and otherwise.

How about looking in the mirror first!

Thai drivers do look in the mirror; the boys pick their zits and the girls do their makeup.  What more do you want!

This story is clearly about how to fine tourists in rented cars. Simple, fine the renters. They're cars. If they can't afford it or dont like it get another job. Renters probably want a way to avoid the tickets themselves. Most tourists are descent drivers and obey laws. Im aure the problem aint so bad.

On 1/31/2019 at 7:42 PM, KiChakayan said:

Considering the evidence scattered around here of many people abusing the system, it makes bloody sense. Only hope that the 3 months formality can be made jointly with the first 90 days report.

47 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

"proposals so that foreigners can be dealt with appropriately and not just do as they please on the Thai roads"

Is that a THB200 fine same as for locals (when pulled over that is) when they do as they please?

Thais pay 50 or 100 BATH.

Enjoy ....just don't get caught your self ...and DO NOT ASK FOR DONATIONS when your busted ass is in hospital and your sore and helpless

little me'he hit me "an an ...an ..an...an .......... be careful people when on a motorcycle ....international licence is good to have on you if there are altercations ....love the clutchless motorcycles ...Lol... (Honda scoopy lets goooooooooooo)....

14522832_1207119529352433_455543773820671493_n - Copy.jpg

7 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

This story is clearly about how to fine tourists in rented cars. Simple, fine the renters. They're cars. If they can't afford it or dont like it get another job. Renters probably want a way to avoid the tickets themselves. Most tourists are descent drivers and obey laws. Im aure the problem aint so bad.

I think some have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick here.

He is saying that in the past, they were allowed to confiscate licences in order to force the rider/driver to go to the police station to pay the fine.

But soon they will not be allowed to confiscate licences, so in theory, the rider/driver can just disappear off into the sunset. Leaving the police having to do all of the work of tracking down the rental etc....

So they are trying to think of a way to deter foreign drivers,(since they cannot apply points to a foreign licence nor IDP anyway) along with Thais.

So don't take it simply as an attack against foreigners. 

Archived