RTP: What to do about tourists who break the traffic rules while renting vehicles in Thailand?

webfact

RTP: What to do about tourists who break the traffic rules while renting vehicles in Thailand?

There are a number of police forces in other countries that deal with this same problem on a daily basis. I am sure they can share their experience and offer simple ways to deal the same issue. Of course a respected and honest police force would help.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If  a foreigner breaks a traffic law fine him according the the law same as a Thai should be. I think the main problem the Thai police do not even  know what the law is for different infractions. Most times they just pay the cop who stopped you and go.No one even the cops know what different fines there are for different infractions because all they know is tea money.

"not just do as the please on thai roads", he has to be joking, this is the reason Thailand has so many road deaths, thai drivers and riders do exactly as they please and bugger any of the road rules. Problem is this means people that abide by the road rules also have to break them to avoid accidents with all the idiot drivers/riders in many cases. Maybe if the thai police actually got out on the roads and pulled over ALL the people breaking the law we wouldnt have a problem

These Top Cops have nothing better to do then blame tourists for their inability to manage their own job responsibilities. 

Thai Nationals for the most part couldn't care less about the rules.

The Cops know it, they can't manage it so they take it out on the tourists.

Clearly he has not consulted with his associates on Phuket. They worked it out long ago allegedly. They employ English speaking tourist police volunteers who collect the on the spot cash fines for them.

18 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

If  a foreigner breaks a traffic law fine him according the the law same as a Thai should be. I think the main problem the Thai police do not even  know what the law is for different infractions. Most times they just pay the cop who stopped you and go.No one even the cops know what different fines there are for different infractions because all they know is tea money.

How do you fine him if you are not allowed to confiscate the licence? What to stop the foreigner from driving away and never paying, driving dangerously with impunity?

Yes, both Thais and foreigners get away with it.

A bit too much Thai bashing on this thread, disguised as Thai xenophobia, when it is simply a practical issue.

I think they need to think how to put the points on the Thai people that not have a licence, having a point system here means it better if you NOT have a licence you can only get fined and drive again, also what aboutf the children riding there motorbikes to school passing the police at the entrance to their school to young to have a licence and not wearing a helmet 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat has asked representatives from the Royal Thai Police and the Department of Land Transport to recommend proposals so that foreigners can be dealt with appropriately and not just do as they please on the Thai roads.

Generally speaking foreigners don't do as they please on the roads, but follow/copy what they see on a daily basis by Thai road users.

The answer is simple:

it's not how do we deal with foreigners on Thai roads, it should be how do we implement the ample traffic laws in place now to anyone offending on the road !!

Wow. 

I didn't think this morning's press release about accidents being down on a public holiday could be beaten.

How does this guy think a points system for foreign tourists is ever going to implemented?

They can't even implement a legal points system for Thai citizens to follow.  

How these pluggers get into positions and are actually able to release such nonsense is truly baffling. 

33 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Truer words were never spoken. I was stopped one day and the police officer went thru my bike with s fine tooth comb, I have both a Thai MC and car license and tax was paid up so couldnt find anything wrong then tried to tell me I had to pay a 200 baht fine because the rear foot peg for a pillon passenger was down. Couldn't believe it and when I refused to pay him and said we go to police station before I pay fine for rear foot peg down. He gave me a bad look and told me to go. Some will try anything.

RE - What to do about tourists who break the traffic rules while renting vehicles in Thailand?

The law has already been broken several times by the Thai owner of the rental shop before the renter has reached the road by not require a proper license and as well not having the motorbikes insured - maybe an idea to start where it all begins then you prevent the other issues to happen down the road ... :thumbsup:

i'm absolutely disgusted. a copper has 'raised the issue' with regards to what to do about foreign drivers as part of the whole reform of the 1979 traffic laws.

How dare he upset the fragile foreigner by 'raising the issue'. they should not be included in any reforms of any laws and should just do as they please on the roads. 

they are all out to get us!!!! move to vietnam whilst you can!!!!

When u see a whole family on the bike no helmets. Young kids for sure no license after school.the Thais break more laws than farang but never get pulled.only the check point round town  catch people for 500 baht just for the license check and easy money for police.

But we all know nothing happens to them only the farang is the target

2 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Is this guy retarded?

Clearly he is not fit to be in Law enforcement if he has to ask how to deal with foreigners (are they dealt with differently from the Thais? Higher bribes?) who break road rules. 

<deleted>, does this moron think there should be one law for thais, and a different law for foreigners?

...ahm...yes!

As there already is!

Do as I say, not as I do!  This is Thailand and the Thai people will do what they want, when they want and not have to worry about anything. So if you are a visitor here, you will pay for not following rules here. The great double standard in the Land of Smiles, don't you love just love it. If I don't like it, I can go home.

Saw a pickup today proceeding down the road like a crab - sideways. Don't know what was wrong with it. Rear wheels were tracking differently to the front.

At least rental cars are roadworthy - maybe. See quite a few vehicles driven by Thais that are not.

Archived