RTP: What to do about tourists who break the traffic rules while renting vehicles in Thailand?

webfact

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Policeman waves at you to stop just smile, wave back and keep going!

that happened to me once by accident, I was making a left turn at an intersection and they were across of it (2 lanes)

saw the end of his wave and he seemed to attempt to walk in my way like a dunce and I thought he was waving hi..

but then he started shouting and I sped off. 555

I have traveled across Thailand many times by big bike (and small scooters) and I have never seen a single time a police arresting a car for speeding.

I have seen plenty of times those BMWs or black SUVS go like 200 km/h and pass a police pickup truck and they did absolutely nothing.

I know they were going over 200 because they always come up behind me blinking their lights expecting me to move out of the way (not even in the fast lane) and pass me like I was immobile. I usually drove at ±110

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

And what about 'The Natives' who break every traffic rule on a daily basis, including Policemen, two of whom passed me this morning on Motorbikes wearing flat caps instead of helmets ?

What about the policemen on motorbike texting when driving?

When those who should enforce the law violate the law on a daily basis how to expect others to follow the law ....

Do as I say not as I do ... :coffee1:

2 hours ago, billsmart said:

What should be done? That's easy...

Minor Infraction

- 1st Offence: Fine them.
- 2nd Offence: Fine them double or triple.

- 3rd Offence: Treat it as a Major Infraction (see below).

Major Infraction
- Arrest them, try them, fine/and or jail them, and then deport them and put them on a blacklist so they can never return.

What about the Native ? Maybe the same rules should apply to them as well , don't know where to deport them though.

What rules?  We can't be worst than locals:

-We do not wear helmets- same as Thais

-we zigzag between cars - same as Thais

-we sometime wait at red lights - more often than Thais

-we actually have drivers license- can't say for underage Thais 

-we don't drive on side walks- not even gonna bother with this one

-we don't text and drive- oh lord I give up!!

Seriously..... Tourists ??

The rules of the road should applied to all equally and unfortunately, in general its Thai drivers and motorcyclists that break the rules and get killed or injure / kill others.

So please look closer to home Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat and stop blaming tourists or expats. Plus the point system will not work on tourists, so they need to pay the fine at the police station immediately and get a receipt, not to the cop, who will pocket it.

Simple really!

4 hours ago, Cobby said:

Again-what a lot of crap 

tourist cause about 1/2%

of the traffic violations in Thailand 

today I passed 2 police check points 

only farang stopped 

hundreds  of Thai pass through 

no helmets no no plates 

3 on a bike 

bikes so old just about moving 

they are not stopped as they have no money to pay the fine 

another big Joke 

I get waved through just about check point I ever come across. Had a licence check maybe 2 or 3 times in 5 years. Seen numerous Thais pull over.

Basically, I think you're waffling!

Does this imbecile ever drive on Thai roads?!?!? I can count over a 100 violations in a 30 minute trip committed by native Thai's, every day!!!! I would say at least 10 of which would garner a "Driving to Endanger Offence" in any other country, with a trip to police lockup, and loss of license. Here in Thailand, its business as usually, they continue the killing spree with free will every day, life is cheap here, 40,000 baht per life taken, no big loss.

5 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

And what about 'The Natives' who break every traffic rule on a daily basis, including Policemen, two of whom passed me this morning on Motorbikes wearing flat caps instead of helmets ?

Immunity based on lineage. And compounded by status, or occupation... Students with proper lineage are exempt from road laws, which are just about inexistant, except when useful for collecting money.

So the question was correctly worded.

A point system would be good as there be no traffic on the roads in about 1 month. All the Thais would of lost there licence. 

Farangs are a  easy target  we stand out. But Mr Police man don't worry about  no helmets,  riding on the foot path,  no lights on your bike,  drunk riding,  riding up the wrong side of the street a baby on the bike with no helmet  or a food kart parked in the middle of the road or maybe 30 Soi dogs sleeping on the road  ignore that go for the farang as they have the money. Very soon there be no farangs left here thays becoming obvious.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

RTP: What to do about tourists who break the traffic rules while renting vehicles in Thailand?

Joke of the day,I am sure that they have a bigger problem with the Millions of thai people that don't give a rats,,,, about traffic rules or any other law . 

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What a Big Joke!!!!!

Ya, like foreigners are even a tiny proportion compared to all the horrible driving that's done here by the locals, drunk and otherwise.

How about looking in the mirror first!

Treat all foreigners exactly the same as Thais, ie DO NOTHING!!!

then all is fair....

5 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

the REAL question is what to do about foreigners who follow the traffic laws.

serious problem..........it confuses the locals.

I always get that weird look from people when I'm standing all alone behind the line at redlights while everyone else is standing on crosswalk. Also that confusing moment that occurs when i put on the indicator ahead of a turn instead of flipping it on the same second i start to turn.  

I try to tell myself to not adapt to the mass and that just as I would with children I am trying to set a good example for them, but somehow deep inside i know that what they actually think is "Ha, why farang so stupiii" 

Once again, a Thai shows their true colors. 

Why would foreigner receive any different penalty than the locals?

Traffic laws are traffic laws. Enforce them across the board or shove it. Scamming buffalos.

49 minutes ago, Okis said:

I always get that weird look from people when I'm standing all alone behind the line at redlights while everyone else is standing on crosswalk. Also that confusing moment that occurs when i put on the indicator ahead of a turn instead of flipping it on the same second i start to turn.  

I try to tell myself to not adapt to the mass and that just as I would with children I am trying to set a good example for them, but somehow deep inside i know that what they actually think is "Ha, why farang so stupiii" 

Yup, if we could only get all the Thai drivers off the road, we could enjoy commuting in relative safety. I sometimes believe these people are suicidal when I watch some of the things they do behind the wheel, not only do they not know the road rules, they seem to be oblivious to the danger they are placing themselves in when attempting stupid human tricks. I assume they have no idea of the limits of their vehicles, not even a stunt driver would attempt some of the idiotic maneuvers these numnuts attempt on public roads, and this happens daily.

7 hours ago, billsmart said:

What should be done? That's easy...

Minor Infraction

- 1st Offence: Fine them.
- 2nd Offence: Fine them double or triple.

- 3rd Offence: Treat it as a Major Infraction (see below).

Major Infraction
- Arrest them, try them, fine/and or jail them, and then deport them and put them on a blacklist so they can never return.

(if driver incapable to drive away or run away...that case no case)

first offense: wai and bribe under the table

second offense: more wai and more bribe

third offense: go for monk for 1 day and lot more bribe

major infraction: keep driving without a licence and repeat 1-2-3

^

Foreigners or totally poor thais tend be only ones who get full laws implemented.

Thais quite literally get away with murder, I seen few thais walk away from drug offences long after arrest stage .

Police road blocks net a fortune and in bangkok in areas like silom and surawong road used to control only paying tuk tuks and taxis around patpong etc .

None of them really give a toss about road safety, number 1 is always how much $ they make from it .

Archived