RTP: What to do about tourists who break the traffic rules while renting vehicles in Thailand?

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have driven a car maybe four times in Thailand and have received tickets twice. In my own country I have driven almost daily for decades and have received the same number of tickets.

It's almost like you have to drive badly here in order to get the police to leave you alone.

11 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I think some have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick here.

He is saying that in the past, they were allowed to confiscate licences in order to force the rider/driver to go to the police station to pay the fine.

But soon they will not be allowed to confiscate licences, so in theory, the rider/driver can just disappear off into the sunset. Leaving the police having to do all of the work of tracking down the rental etc....

So they are trying to think of a way to deter foreign drivers,(since they cannot apply points to a foreign licence nor IDP anyway) along with Thais.

So don't take it simply as an attack against foreigners. 

Probably the first real post. Foreigners have lots of accidents in Thailand, some very serious. Many do not have a licence.

So the thing to do is crack down on falang who rent a vehicle, bike or scoot and do not have a licence in their own country.

And then crack down on Thais as well

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat has asked representatives from the Royal Thai Police and the Department of Land Transport to recommend proposals so that foreigners can be dealt with appropriately and not just do as they please on the Thai roads

To Thai people: LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Like I'm sure most foreigners do, when I got to Thailand, I observed the Thais to figure out what was right vs wrong, lawful vs unlawful.

And, guess what? Thais are habitual, pervasive law breakers! So, how would foreigners figure it all out?! To a foreigner, it looks like Thais generally do whatever they want, without regard to law. 

And often, following the written law will put people in serious danger as almost none of the Thais follow (or even know) the written laws. This is illustrated well by driving. Following the laws on Thai roads will likely get you killed - as the Thais usually are not following the same rules. 

4 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Probably the first real post. Foreigners have lots of accidents in Thailand, some very serious. Many do not have a licence.

So the thing to do is crack down on falang who rent a vehicle, bike or scoot and do not have a licence in their own country.

And then crack down on Thais as well

You are perfectly wrong. This issue is 99% the fault of incompetent (and arrogant) Thais who always fail to see their flaws

Step 1: focus on the tens of millions of Thais who break road laws everyday. Train Thais and enforce traffic laws. 

Step 2: focus on fixing the horrid Thai road engineering like poor road surface, poor signage, poor lighting, u-turns on high-speed expressways, ect. 

Step 3: when foreign tourists visit Thailand, most will observe and imitate the behavior of Thais (who are finally obeying the law and driving safely). 

Even after all the above steps, a small percentage of foreign tourist will break the road laws. This very small and insignificant group can be penalized. 

Understand? Khaojai mai khrap? 

9 hours ago, balo said:

I think he just meant to say that foreigners should be dealt with same as Thais.   

But somehow it ended up like being foreigners are the only one "guilty". 

Same as Thais. So law only enforced based on how "big" or important or wealthy a foreigner is?

Farang can do a "wai", maybe goto the local temple and become a monk for a few days and pay a few thousand Baht to avoid a murder charge? 

Nice! Some of us (not me, of course) may start taking advantage of such a policy. I've got plenty of money. Next time someone annoys me, beware of "do you know who I am?!" ????

18 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

And what about 'The Natives' who break every traffic rule on a daily basis, including Policemen, two of whom passed me this morning on Motorbikes wearing flat caps instead of helmets ?

Two lines asking what can be done about tourists and the rest of the article about what is to done with the locals

17 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

This story is clearly about how to fine tourists in rented cars. Simple, fine the renters. They're cars. If they can't afford it or dont like it get another job. Renters probably want a way to avoid the tickets themselves. Most tourists are descent drivers and obey laws. Im aure the problem aint so bad.

Or RTP could fine drivers instead of cars i.e. if a speeding ticket arrives the renter can give evidence that they were not driving and the fine gets annulled. It's not going to break the RTP's bank if a few tourist speeding fines don't get paid. For other violations, the police could just use some system that penalizes drivers who are caught breaking the law. Almost like a fine. ???? The problem with that scenario is that the police would have to actually be out there trying to catch people...

I get waved through just about check point I ever come across. Had a licence check maybe 2 or 3 times in 5 years. Seen numerous Thais pull over.

Basically, I think you're waffling!
That's rubbish, in 10 yrs I have only been stopped a few times, 99.9% always get waved through where as all Thais get stopped.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, billsmart said:

What should be done? That's easy...

Minor Infraction

- 1st Offence: Fine them.
- 2nd Offence: Fine them double or triple.

- 3rd Offence: Treat it as a Major Infraction (see below).

Major Infraction
- Arrest them, try them, fine/and or jail them, and then deport them and put them on a blacklist so they can never return.

I absolutely love the near anarchy on the roads here.  The US is a police state. Here one can run red lights, drive fast and generally enjoy life.  Of course, back in the States, Trump is making America Great again!  Go Trump!

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

You are perfectly wrong. This issue is 99% the fault of incompetent (and arrogant) Thais who always fail to see their flaws

Step 1: focus on the tens of millions of Thais who break road laws everyday. Train Thais and enforce traffic laws. 

Step 2: focus on fixing the horrid Thai road engineering like poor road surface, poor signage, poor lighting, u-turns on high-speed expressways, ect. 

Step 3: when foreign tourists visit Thailand, most will observe and imitate the behavior of Thais (who are finally obeying the law and driving safely). 

Even after all the above steps, a small percentage of foreign tourist will break the road laws. This very small and insignificant group can be penalized. 

Understand? Khaojai mai khrap? 

Where I come from we say khao jai khrup.

Just a bit more upper class what?

The topic was not about Thais.

It was about farang who have no licence and get into trouble.

If farang visit Thailand and degenerate to the bad habits of Thais, they are just as stupid.

Capese

13 hours ago, balo said:

I think he just meant to say that foreigners should be dealt with same as Thais.   

But somehow it ended up like being foreigners are the only one "guilty". 

I think he meant to say How can i get money out of them pesky foreigners if they don't follow the rules?? They should at least pay 10 times more than a Thai offender, innit? Will i get into trouble if we start doing that?

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Where I come from we say khao jai khrup.

Just a bit more upper class what?

The topic was not about Thais.

It was about farang who have no licence and get into trouble.

If farang visit Thailand and degenerate to the bad habits of Thais, they are just as stupid.

Capese

Maybe a scenario will help. Some people learn better by illustration. 

Scenario

Assume you are a foreigner who has learned how to drive in your foreign country where a very high percentage of drivers follow rules and laws. This could be, for example, any western countries or developed Asian countries.

You are driving on a Thai expressway. The Thais are generally driving:

--either significantly above or significantly below the (infrequently) posted speed limit AND

--changing lanes frequently without signaling AND

--driving exceedingly close to each other and to you ("tailgating"). 

Question

Pick the action you would take in this situation. 

A. Drive according to the laws and best practices you learned in your developed country which conflict with Thai driving?

B. Safely stop your vehicle. Find and read a copy of the Thai road laws and rules. Get back on the road and drive according to the written Thai traffic and road laws and rules which conflict with how Thais actually drive?

C. Largely mimic how the Thais are driving but with some additional defensive driving effort? 

Answer

What is your answer? 

Answer Hint

Your goal is to not die in a road accident. 

If you want to study more first, here is a good resource: http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Maybe a scenario will help. Some people learn better by illustration. 

Scenario

Assume you are a foreigner who has learned how to drive in your foreign country where a very high percentage of drivers follow rules and laws. This could be, for example, any western countries or developed Asian countries.

You are driving on a Thai expressway. The Thais are generally driving:

--either significantly above or significantly below the (infrequently) posted speed limit AND

--changing lanes frequently without signaling AND

--driving exceedingly close to each other and to you ("tailgating"). 

Question

Pick the action you would take in this situation. 

A. Drive according to the laws and best practices you learned in your developed country which conflict with Thai driving?

B. Safely stop your vehicle. Find and read a copy of the Thai road laws and rules. Get back on the road and drive according to the written Thai traffic and road laws and rules which conflict with how Thais actually drive?

C. Largely mimic how the Thais are driving but with some additional defensive driving effort? 

Answer

What is your answer? 

Answer Hint

Your goal is to not die in a road accident. 

If you want to study more first, here is a good resource: http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

You left a whole lot out in your scenario.

1. Do you have a valid licence to drive the scooter, bike, vehicle - van, truck and so on in your own country?

2. Do you have an international drivers licence?

3. Do you have a Thai licence for the vehicle you are driving or riding?

4. If you have the above, you need to drive according to the conditions around you.

5. Are you complying to the road rules ?

I have been driving and riding here for nearly a decade. 

I understand the Thai laws and rules because you are an idiot if you drive in any country on earth

if you do not understand the road rules before you get behind the wheel. QED

On 2/20/2019 at 2:29 PM, CARLO BALDASSARRE said:

Enjoy ....just don't get caught your self ...and DO NOT ASK FOR DONATIONS when your busted ass is in hospital and your sore and helpless

little me'he hit me "an an ...an ..an...an .......... be careful people when on a motorcycle ....international licence is good to have on you if there are altercations ....love the clutchless motorcycles ...Lol... (Honda scoopy lets goooooooooooo)....

14522832_1207119529352433_455543773820671493_n - Copy.jpg

You KNOW "International Licence" does NOT exist???
Maybe you are thinking of IDP? (International Driving PERMIT), which are ONLY an translation of your ORIGINAL Driving License, AND worth absolutely NOTHING, w/o your driving license? 

Archived