Direct Deposits from Social Security

I have used this method for some time, using Bangkok Bank. You have to go in person and I have never had a problem. I might add, satellite branches don't work well, go to the main branch in town. Depending on what week you get your check, it will be in Thai Time 

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

The issue is Bangkok Bank will not accept ACH transfers starting in April unless they comply with International format and some SS payments have not had that format so anyone using needs to confirm or risk having issues in April.

I have been using Bangkok Bank for my SS checks for the last couple of years. As of today, SS has not emailed me any information regarding a change. So do I need to contact the bank first to determine if the deposits are of the correct format?

Just now, missoura said:

I have been using Bangkok Bank for my SS checks for the last couple of years. As of today, SS has not emailed me any information regarding a change. So do I need to contact the bank first to determine if the deposits are of the correct format?

Yes as SS just sees a domestic bank account using Bangkok Bank New York.  If you set up using Thai address visa Philippines Office it is probably right but have been reports of some using domestic format.  There are several threads with more information - bank can advise if you can get the message understood of what you need.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, missoura said:

So do I need to contact the bank first to determine if the deposits are of the correct format?

You need to ask them to confirm they are being received in the IAT format. New York has confirmed mine are being sent it the IAT format.

Send an email with your name, account number, the date of your last payment and the amount to [email protected] .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I have been checking to see if they had done one yet. They must of posted it recently.

Direct link for it is here. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/SSA-1199-OP107.pdf

Now we need to know which banks will be doing them and the conditions for the account.

I must have been posted overnight because I've be checking above SSA forms webpage almost daily and when I check last night the form was not there. 

On 29 Jan a Manila FBU rep replied to me regarding the Thailand IDD implementation....I had asked about the implementation date....see partial quote of their answer below.    

Unfortunately, we have not yet receive any instruction on the specific date of the implementation of Thailand IDD. We will inform you once we receive a communication.

A few days ago I sent another query...no response to date.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have been checking to see if they had done one yet. They must of posted it recently.

Direct link for it is here. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/SSA-1199-OP107.pdf

Now we need to know which banks will be doing them and the conditions for the account.

Yes, please.

Thanks in advance to the first person that gets that information and shares it.

Many of us are very interested.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to ask them to confirm they are being received in the IAT format. New York has confirmed mine are being sent it the IAT format.

Send an email with your name, account number, the date of your last payment and the amount to [email protected] .

Joe is the amount to report the amount in Baht that was deposited in my account or amount in dollars that SS would have sent, thank you for a response

Just now, flexomike said:

Joe is the amount to report the amount in Baht that was deposited in my account or amount in dollars that SS would have sent, thank you for a response

Just now, flexomike said:

one more question on the email is there a period after th

1 minute ago, flexomike said:

Either one would would be accepted. I gave them both dollars and baht.

• Thanks 1

Or just call Bangkok Bank in Bangkok per the letter they put in Oct 18.  English speaking.  Just need to give them your name, account number, and approx amount of SSA payment and they can look it up in about 15 seconds and tell you if it's arriving in IAT format or not. 

image.png.e8139cdf66ad66c1d24fa9bc643c0fc4.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I liked the email since I got it in writing so if anything went wrong I would have that for backup.

Nothing wrong with that.  But maybe give them a call also to double confirm......if within Thailand it's just another local call and they speak English at the number.

I called this afternoon because I wanted to ask if Bangkok Bank had got any additional instructions/knew about the new form/etc., but the primary POC was in a meeting. 

But the person I talked to once again confirmed my family member's latest SSA payment was "not" in IAT format...which was not news me....and I've been trying to get it changed to IAT format with Manila and Baltimore SSA offices for months via email, phone calls, letter with new 1199 included...so far, no luck.  And the family member has a Thailand address....has from day one of signing up for SSA pension.   My family member is one of the 20% of SSA payments coming to Bangkok Bank that is not in IAT format.  If a person is to believe the stats Bangkok Bank has been quoting of approx 80% SSA payments are arriving in IAT format; 20% not in IAT format.

Edited by Pib

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What method did you use to set up your deposits so they were sent in IAT format?  Did you just use the old common way of using the NY routing number and the local account number?  Is so, what is the purpose of the April 1st thing?

Does anyone know what happens to the money if, after April 1st, it gets rejected by Bangkok Bank for not being in the correct format?  It seems like a possible nightmare including breaking the 65K deposit continuity.

Edited by AAArdvark
add

As with my new Direct deposit account in January, they are already making applicants fill out the correct set of forms for SSA and DFAS and providing you with a card with account number and 9 digit code for BKK NY.  For those with Military retirements, go into your DFAS account and change online. Only took them 15 days to process and shows BKK address and 9 digit code when you enter the information. SSA to9ld me it takes up t 60 days for the change provided the BKK Branches get the set of signed forms to them. indicated the bottle neck is BKK Bank processing your application through channels fast enough.

6 minutes ago, Danthai said:

As with my new Direct deposit account in January, they are already making applicants fill out the correct set of forms for SSA and DFAS and providing you with a card with account number and 9 digit code for BKK NY.  For those with Military retirements, go into your DFAS account and change online. Only took them 15 days to process and shows BKK address and 9 digit code when you enter the information. SSA to9ld me it takes up t 60 days for the change provided the BKK Branches get the set of signed forms to them. indicated the bottle neck is BKK Bank processing your application through channels fast enough.

Sorry, please define "they".  Is it the bank or the Embassy in Manila?

Must use the 9 digit code for the Bangkok Bank in NY. The BKK Bank that can set up the accounts for direct deposits will provide you the form and al the information. The branch the Branch in Chiangmai that can set up the accounts and filled out much of the forms for me. You have to have a local Thai address, your passport, etc. At same time they open your direct deposit account and give you the bankbook. Cost: Deposit 500 Baht to open the account. They will give you a card with your account number and the BKK Bank NY 9 digit routing code your supposed to use. You can use that information to have any Bank t0 transfer your money. Lastly they wil set up an alert, as others on TV have mentioned, when a deposit is sent to your account.

1 minute ago, Danthai said:

Must use the 9 digit code for the Bangkok Bank in NY. The BKK Bank that can set up the accounts for direct deposits will provide you the form and al the information. The branch the Branch in Chiangmai that can set up the accounts and filled out much of the forms for me. You have to have a local Thai address, your passport, etc. At same time they open your direct deposit account and give you the bankbook. Cost: Deposit 500 Baht to open the account. They will give you a card with your account number and the BKK Bank NY 9 digit routing code your supposed to use. You can use that information to have any Bank t0 transfer your money. Lastly they wil set up an alert, as others on TV have mentioned, when a deposit is sent to your account.

OK, so in Chiang Mai you never had to deal with the Embassy in Manila.  Did they confirm that these deposits would be in the new mandatory IAT format?  This would sure make it easier.

9 hours ago, missoura said:

Yes, you have to contact the bank. Bangkok bank announced it a while back that all ACH transfer are going to stop unless it is in IACH format. Social security won't inform you anything. They send money to thousands of banks and they don't keep track of each bank's policy changes. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

I am guessing any application Bangkok bank gets for direct deposit of SS after April 1st would automatically be in ITA format

Whether it is sent as the IAT format depends upon how the SSA codes it when they set it up. The most important thing is that you have your address here registered with the SSA.

11 hours ago, Danthai said:

You are just talking the current method to setup a direct deposit to Bangkok Bank.  Nothing new about that...people have been setting up direct deposit to Bangkok Bank for many years.  The 9 digit code you mention is just the Bangkok Bank New York ABA/ACH routing number....nothing new about that.   You didn't mentioned the code but it's 026008691.  Thousands of folks have such a Direct Deposit account setup to receive US govt benefit payments from agencies like SSA, DFAS, VA, etc.

Yea, a person can notify their benefit payment agency such as SSA, DFAS, VA, etc., by mailing in a completed 1199 Direct Deposit form, or calling in the info, or doing it online....varies from agency to agency as to how you can start/change Direct Deposit bank info.

The problem occurs in whether the SSA, DFAS, or whatever govt agency that you send the form to in setting up the payment to use ACH "International ACH Transaction (IAT)" format or the regular ACH domestic format.   Still unclear what decision tree they use in whether they set the payment up in  ACH IAT format or ACH domestic format....and it more than just using a Thailand address.

If it's not setup in the ACH IAT format then come 1 Apr 19 Bangkok Bank will reject the payment for not being in the required format.   Like right now approx 80% of the SSA payments going to Bangkok Bank using their routing number mentioned above is in ACH IAT format; the remaining 20% are not (I have a family member in that 20% who has a Thailand address onfile). 

Heck, I talked to the Manila SS Office again "this morning" about this ACH issue and the IDD program....the best way to sum up that discussion is they are still working the issue.  Frustrating.

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

You are just talking the current method to setup a direct deposit to Bangkok Bank.  Nothing new about that...people have been setting up direct deposit to Bangkok Bank for many years.  The 9 digit code you mention is just the Bangkok Bank New York ABA/ACH routing number....nothing new about that.   You didn't mentioned the code but it's 026008691.  Thousands of folks have such a Direct Deposit account setup to receive US govt benefit payments from agencies like SSA, DFAS, VA, etc.

Yea, a person can notify their benefit payment agency such as SSA, DFAS, VA, etc., by mailing in a completed 1199 Direct Deposit form, or calling in the info, or doing it online....varies from agency to agency as to how you can start/change Direct Deposit bank info.

The problem occurs in whether the SSA, DFAS, or whatever govt agency that you send the form to in setting up the payment to use ACH "International ACH Transaction (IAT)" format or the regular ACH domestic format.   Still unclear what decision tree they use in whether they set the payment up in  ACH IAT format or ACH domestic format....and it more than just using a Thailand address.

If it's not setup in the ACH IAT format then come 1 Apr 19 Bangkok Bank will reject the payment for not being in the required format.   Like right now approx 80% of the SSA payments going to Bangkok Bank using their routing number mentioned above is in ACH IAT format; the remaining 20% are not (I have a family member in that 20% who has a Thailand address onfile). 

Heck, I talked to the Manila SS Office again "this morning" about this ACH issue and the IDD program....the best way to sum up that discussion is they are still working the issue.  Frustrating.

Agreed, but I still have two questions.  What is the purpose of the "new" form that Bangkok Bank is giving out if not to facilitate the the use of the correct format?  What does SSA do with the money on a deposit through Bangkok Bank NYC if it gets rejected because of the incorrect code?

Agreed, but I still have two questions.  What is the purpose of the "new" form that Bangkok Bank is giving out if not to facilitate the the use of the correct format?  What does SSA do with the money on a deposit through Bangkok Bank NYC if it gets rejected because of the incorrect code?
Unaware of a "new" SSA 1199 used for setting up an ACH direct deposit. What is the form number complete number and date.

You sure you are not talking the hot off the press IDD form? If so, its completely different from the ACH form. Two different animals.

Rejected money goes back to the sender such as SSA. Then you must contact the sender to get the rejection resolved...once resolved they resend the funds.

I just saw the form 1199 to use for SS IDD payments to Thailand and I have a question.

I receive benefits for myself and I am the representative for my son's benefits, do I only need to fill out only 1 form as both benefits come to my account at the same time?

4 hours ago, racyrick said:

I just saw the form 1199 to use for SS IDD payments to Thailand and I have a question.

I receive benefits for myself and I am the representative for my son's benefits, do I only need to fill out only 1 form as both benefits come to my account at the same time?

Best you ask SSA. 

But I would "guess" if you receive two separate payments each month....two direct deposits...one payment for you and a separate payment for your son as his representative then you would need to do two forms.  Now if the son's benefit is just added to your benefit and both are paid in one combined payment then only form should be needed.  

But ask SSA for the actual answer....I'm just guessing.