Bank letter and book statement for retirement extensions Chiang Mai immigration

Alotoftravel

If I get my bank letter and bank statement on Friday feb 22 and go to Chiang Mai immigration on Monday feb 25th,

is it acceptable this year . I had done this prior years but I have read on this forum that immigration wants the bank letter and updated bank book on the same day as I submit to Chiang Mai immigration . I appreciate any feedback from those that applied recently and feel free to add any comments . Thanks 

Who are 'they'?  The bank or Immig?

Regardless, i went to the bank for my letter on Monday and then immediately to Immig.  IO said i was lacking some paperwork so must return Wednesday, as Tuesday a holiday.  Then she pointed out the date of the letter and told me that she would accept the letter even on Wednesday.  I rather thought she wanted TODAY's date only and was doing me a big favor by accepting 2 days later.

Immig, and the IOs, are lovely folks but still living in 1967 with their monstrous in-efficiencies and mountains of paperwork. However, reality is that Thai Immig is the only one we have at the moment.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:36 PM, chingmai331 said:

Regardless, i went to the bank for my letter on Monday and then immediately to Immig.  IO said i was lacking some paperwork so must return Wednesday, as Tuesday a holiday.  Then she pointed out the date of the letter and told me that she would accept the letter even on Wednesday.  I rather thought she wanted TODAY's date only and was doing me a big favor by accepting 2 days later.

Immig, and the IOs, are lovely folks but still living in 1967 with their monstrous in-efficiencies and mountains of paperwork. However, reality is that Thai Immig is the only one we have at the moment.

You assumed what she said.  "Rather thought" doesn't hack it, and could be misleading.  Sorry!  Ask specifically how many days next time!

Those Immig folks are nice people, i applaud every one.  But, spoken English comprehension would not be among their strongest attributes.  I ask those folks in simple terms, only simple questions and hope for some common understanding.  Some days reveal more truth than others.

And heaven forbid that i should get angry,  coz then i will be 'out the door'.  I have learned to walk slowly, and talk slowly, and on occasion, even taken to crawling while at Immig.

But thanks for your advice Mapguy.

3 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

I have learned to walk slowly, and talk slowly, and on occasion, even taken to crawling while at Immig.

I am trying to figure a way to move my extension date to near my birthday... :coffee1:

1205A461-9436-436C-999C-4C755381C89F.jpeg

13 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Those Immig folks are nice people, i applaud every one.  But, spoken English comprehension would not be among their strongest attributes.  I ask those folks in simple terms, only simple questions and hope for some common understanding.  Some days reveal more truth than others.

And heaven forbid that i should get angry,  coz then i will be 'out the door'.  I have learned to walk slowly, and talk slowly, and on occasion, even taken to crawling while at Immig.

Have you ever tried to understand a Thai speaker speaking very fast in Thai language with some local accents and some strange slang. It turns out gibberish to you if you ever studied basic Thai.

That's how you sound to them when you speak English like a speeding bullet. Speak simple English words slowly because American, UK, Scottish, Irish, Aussie accents are all different and it can be a nightmare to them.

An example, they didn't learn 'coz' in schools, they learnt 'because'. They also didn't learn 'heaven forbid' in schools so you must omit all these words.

9 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I am trying to figure a way to move my extension date to near my birthday... :coffee1:

1205A461-9436-436C-999C-4C755381C89F.jpeg

Wouldn't it be better to have some Thaivisa folks celebrate with you?

I doubt they do this for every birthday boy because there are thousands in that month and they don't have the budget nor time to celebrate each and every one.

The guy in the photo was just plain lucky. 

Thanks for those replies:  I thought I will update this thread after my Chiang Mai immigration visit yesterday ;

the bank letter does not have to be the same day I apply for the extension but the bank book needs too, so i Left Chiang Mai immigration and went to the bank ( 30 minutes walk) to get it updated. This was not the case last year. 

Another change this year was, with my reporting address form that my condo juristic provided ( the tm 30 ) I had to go to the 3rd floor for them to check it, they Reissued me their official tm30 notification, stapled The 3rd floor checked her computer and return my condo juristic form back to me and I returned back to the 2nd floor.

With the new updated bank book and 3rd floor running around , I got my extension and re entry in 3 hours .

Final note:

sometime back, I asked the forum regarding the income method with regards if pension documentation source is needed. he said that if you do not have a pension document , just show your foreign assets where the 65k originated . I asked them since I do not have a pension , he said your foreign asset statement is good in lieu of a pension letter .

On 2/20/2019 at 5:36 PM, chingmai331 said:

Look a it from a Thais point of view they have to deal almost daily with this type of inefficiency on a daily basis. When ever they have some business with a government office they are faced with the same mind set we only have to deal with once a year

4 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

Thanks for those replies:  I thought I will update this thread after my Chiang Mai immigration visit yesterday ;

the bank letter does not have to be the same day I apply for the extension but the bank book needs too, so i Left Chiang Mai immigration and went to the bank ( 30 minutes walk) to get it updated. This was not the case last year. 

Another change this year was, with my reporting address form that my condo juristic provided ( the tm 30 ) I had to go to the 3rd floor for them to check it, they Reissued me their official tm30 notification, stapled The 3rd floor checked her computer and return my condo juristic form back to me and I returned back to the 2nd floor.

With the new updated bank book and 3rd floor running around , I got my extension and re entry in 3 hours .

Final note:

sometime back, I asked the forum regarding the income method with regards if pension documentation source is needed. he said that if you do not have a pension document , just show your foreign assets where the 65k originated . I asked them since I do not have a pension , he said your foreign asset statement is good in lieu of a pension letter .

I guess it is a difference of 3 days. If it is just one day difference, I think they would NOT want us to go to the banks again.

What is a foreign asset statement? Does that mean property?

30 mins walk to Airport Plaza? Photocopy again and all that?

10 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

the bank letter does not have to be the same day I apply for the extension but the bank book needs too, so i Left Chiang Mai immigration and went to the bank ( 30 minutes walk) to get it updated. This was not the case last year...

I'm presuming you don't keep the 800k in a term account at Siam Commercial Bank (SCB).  The reason I say that is that a term account (one for, let's say, 12 months and which you can withdraw the funds anytime you want but lose all interest if you withdraw early) at SCB cannot be updated (and it doesn't matter if you or the teller sticks the passbook in the machine).  Apparently they have different rules for people keeping the 800k in a regular savings account.

22 hours ago, EricTh said:

Have you ever tried to understand a Thai speaker speaking very fast in Thai language with some local accents and some strange slang. It turns out gibberish to you if you ever studied basic Thai.

That's how you sound to them when you speak English like a speeding bullet. Speak simple English words slowly because American, UK, Scottish, Irish, Aussie accents are all different and it can be a nightmare to them.

An example, they didn't learn 'coz' in schools, they learnt 'because'. They also didn't learn 'heaven forbid' in schools so you must omit all these words.

Touche'

2 hours ago, CMBob said:

I'm presuming you don't keep the 800k in a term account at Siam Commercial Bank (SCB).  The reason I say that is that a term account (one for, let's say, 12 months and which you can withdraw the funds anytime you want but lose all interest if you withdraw early) at SCB cannot be updated (and it doesn't matter if you or the teller sticks the passbook in the machine).  Apparently they have different rules for people keeping the 800k in a regular savings account.

Each bank seems to have its own idiosyncracies.

Bangkok Bank has a different passbook for different period terms which make maintenance difficult, that's why I moved my money to SCB recently.

SCB only has one passbook for different period terms but I am afraid immigration might not be happy if my passbook can't be updated on the date of application.

I find it strange...that SCB can't print a BF

Hi Eric,

just to follow up. Answers imbedded ;

Guess it is a difference of 3 days. If it is just one day difference, I think they would NOT want us to go to the banks again.

I am not sure , the IMO just said to me , the bank book needs to be updated today.

What is a foreign asset statement? Does that mean property?

To me, it is 

to show the source of the 65k that i transferred over

in my case,  it will be my bank investment account To transfer funds .

i guess they want to see cause I do not have a pension letter to source my 65k

i guess property would be part of it since you will source your bank account with rent or sale of the property but I think you just should your bank account with the rent or  property sale proceeds.

30 mins walk to Airport Plaza? Photocopy again and all that?

sorry for too much information :

since it was before mall opening time, I walked to the nearest branch instead. Airport plaza would be closer 

Archived