KFC and tourists

EricTh

Yesterday, I went to KFC at Central Festival. 

As I was waiting on the queue, the Chinese tourists in front of me had trouble communicating with the Thai staff taking their orders so the tourists whipped out their handphones, talked something to it and showed the Thai staff the translation.

The Thai staff looked hard but couldn't understand the translation. So much for translation apps.

The Chinese tourists looked so frustrated that they can't communicate with their limited English.

They took a long time using  body language before their orders could be taken.

I am astonished that most people think that these translation apps can do the job of a human. It can't even help in ordering food.

With all due respect, I use Google Translate often when I'm stumped for a word in Thai. For that matter, I use it in Bahassa Malay, Mandarin, and the European languages as well. Generally speaking (no pun intended,) it never fails to solve the problem.

But.., and here's the rub, it works well with 'words,' not with entire sentences. One has to learn how to utilize the translator and not expect it to perform miracles. Most translation apps can not handle idiomatic expressions, which means the user has to be educated sufficiently to recognize idiomatic expressions in their own language. "How's it going, dude?" will NOT translate to mean "how are you, friend?" Word orders are different in different languages too. Stick to single words and the translation apps can be a God-send when traveling.

I use translation apps all the time. As FolkGuitar said don't use sentences just words. Often times in google translate when you type in a word there will be a list of suggestions to refine things further, and often time this offers up a sentence or phrase that can be used.

20 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Never have a problem ordering chicken.

I make clucking noises and either grab my Manboob or thigh. No problem.

For wings just make add some movement to the clucking.

Video required mate, that would be a must see, you jumping around clucking like an old hen.:cheesy:

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Video required mate, that would be a must see, you jumping around clucking like an old hen.:cheesy:

Just go to any area near a bar in Loi Khroi or inside Foxy Lady/Lucky Bar.

????

PS;  I obviously have no personal knowledge of these possible actions in those areas????.  My only knowledge is based on comments by TV members!

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Never have a problem ordering chicken.

I make clucking noises and either grab my Manboob or thigh. No problem.

For wings just make add some movement to the clucking.

How about chicken butt? Show her your butt?

Translation apps may not be perfect, but they're better than nothing.

Furthermore, even Thais speaking to other Thais seem to have a hard time being understood. Many times I have been with Thais who order  food in a restaurant, and we still get the wrong items.

1 minute ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I have found that most of the KFC's do not have English language menus.  Of course there may be exceptions, but that has been my experience. So it just gives me another reason to not go there.

With a somewhat limited varierty, and pictures of almost everything that is available, who needs words in any language. ????  Only go about once month, so it never bothers me.

Occasionally use them for specific words.  Funniest one my wife had was when we wanted to buy some dates.  She looked up the word and showed the Thai staff.  The two staff laughed at each other,  took out their phone and showed her the current "date" on the calendar function.  Since then we tend to look up images of food. 

On 2/20/2019 at 3:20 PM, FolkGuitar said:

With all due respect, I use Google Translate often when I'm stumped for a word in Thai. For that matter, I use it in Bahassa Malay, Mandarin, and the European languages as well. Generally speaking (no pun intended,) it never fails to solve the problem.

But.., and here's the rub, it works well with 'words,' not with entire sentences. One has to learn how to utilize the translator and not expect it to perform miracles. Most translation apps can not handle idiomatic expressions, which means the user has to be educated sufficiently to recognize idiomatic expressions in their own language. "How's it going, dude?" will NOT translate to mean "how are you, friend?" Word orders are different in different languages too. Stick to single words and the translation apps can be a God-send when traveling.

This is right on... and just try and put "right on" in a translator... I would guess for one word it could be ok but sentences and especially idioms would get very lost... you can "pick up" - something at the store, your friend at the airport, a barbell, etc etc...

My niece asked me for a synonym for "strike" for her English class... I told her "hit" - - her teacher wanted "work stoppage" - - 

A friend once called and asked me how to tell his Thai friend, 'I don't cry over spilled milk' .... and yes, he knew enough Thai to say 'mais bpen rai'... A thai given a direct translation would think he is pretty weird if he cries after spilling milk. 

"I am astonished that most people think that these translation apps can do the job of a human. It can't even help in ordering food."

I suppose it's the next best thing if your personal interpretur is on a day's leave?

5 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I have found that most of the KFC's do not have English language menus.  Of course there may be exceptions, but that has been my experience. So it just gives me another reason to not go there.

Yeah....funny that. I looked all over Philadelphia and couldn't find any fast food menus in Thai including KFC. I wonder why that was? The wife was very disappointed. Same thing in Australia - no Thai menu in KFC!

5 hours ago, kenk24 said:

This is right on... and just try and put "right on" in a translator... I would guess for one word it could be ok but sentences and especially idioms would get very lost... you can "pick up" - something at the store, your friend at the airport, a barbell, etc etc...

I think the problem that many folks encounter when trying (and failing) to use a translation app, is that they lack sufficient vocabulary skills in their own language to be able to find a suitable word that the translation app can translate correctly. It often does take some creativity.

I ran into a problem at the talat when I wanted to buy some mint for a Greek lamb dish I wanted to cook.  I knew it was common in Thai cooking so it shouldn't have been a problem, right?  I typed 'mint' into Google Translate, showed it to the vendor who looked at me like I had three heads. He called over some other veggie vendors who all looked at the word the app produced, conferred among themselves, all of them shaking their heads, until one of them pulled out a handful of coins and offered them to me.  And the penny dropped!  I erased 'mint' and wrote 'peppermint' and was served immediately. That was three years ago, and I still get ribbed by some of those vendors asking me if I'd like to buy a building.

13 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I think the problem that many folks encounter when trying (and failing) to use a translation app, is that they lack sufficient vocabulary skills in their own language to be able to find a suitable word that the translation app can translate correctly. It often does take some creativity.

I ran into a problem at the talat when I wanted to buy some mint for a Greek lamb dish I wanted to cook.  I knew it was common in Thai cooking so it shouldn't have been a problem, right?  I typed 'mint' into Google Translate, showed it to the vendor who looked at me like I had three heads. He called over some other veggie vendors who all looked at the word the app produced, conferred among themselves, all of them shaking their heads, until one of them pulled out a handful of coins and offered them to me.  And the penny dropped!  I erased 'mint' and wrote 'peppermint' and was served immediately. That was three years ago, and I still get ribbed by some of those vendors asking me if I'd like to buy a building.

yes, my first thought was US Mint... and it is remarkable even within English just how many usages there are for near every word... look in a dictionary and they list the different meanings... 1. 2. 3.... etc.. and Thai has its idioms too though I think the number of usuages for each word is not a thing... 

My Thai is pretty functional and there are many Thai expressions that cannot be taken apart... bpen arai = is what = whats the matter... when I help people with translations, I need to listen to entire sentences and then find a phrase in Thai that would express the same.. 

On 2/21/2019 at 3:05 PM, silverhawk_usa said:

I must be lucky because every KFC I have been to has an English menu.

8 hours ago, Suitcase said:

I must be lucky because every KFC I have been to has an English menu.

At Kad Suan Keaw in CM, if the menu is in Thai just turn it over to find the English menu. This might be a challenge for some I know but..... it is worth a try.

Disclaimer: I rarely eat @ KFC so things may have changed since I was last there.

14 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Who comes all the way to Thailand to eat the junk (so called food) from the likes of KFC, McD's etc when there is all that great Thai food available!

How about those of us who have been here for the past 18 years and occasionally like a taste of the Old Country? Or just some variety now and then?  Italian food, German, Indian, Middle Eastern, an English Fry-up or an American plate of meatloaf and mashed potatoes with gravy?  Food should satisfy the palate and the mind, not other people's idea of what to eat and where.

27 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Who comes all the way to Thailand to eat the junk (so called food) from the likes of KFC, McD's etc when there is all that great Thai food available!

I've never found Thai food all that good, poor quality old meat disguised with a load of chilli and rotting fish sauce.

My pals and I went through a phase of KFC 3x a week for the first year when Central Festival CM first opened.

1 minute ago, FolkGuitar said:

How about those of us who have been here for the past 18 years and occasionally like a taste of the Old Country? Or just some variety now and then?  Italian food, German, Indian, Middle Eastern, an English Fry-up or an American plate of meatloaf and mashed potatoes with gravy?  Food should satisfy the palate and the mind, not other people's idea of what to eat and where.

The topic is "KFC & Tourists" not "KFC & Residents" although I still question how anyone can eat that muck from KFC etc!

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

The topic is "KFC & Tourists" not "KFC & Residents" although I still question how anyone can eat that muck from KFC etc!

Even tourists often like as taste of home, or perhaps a taste that they can't get at home. KFC doesn't exist in every city in the world.

I suspect, based on its popularity, that not everyone considers it 'muck.'  Same with McDs, BurgerKing, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell.

Archived