KFC and tourists

EricTh

24 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Even tourists often like as taste of home, or perhaps a taste that they can't get at home. KFC doesn't exist in every city in the world.

I suspect, based on its popularity, that not everyone considers it 'muck.'  Same with McDs, BurgerKing, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell.

If it was reeally 'muck', KFC would have gone bankrupt long time ago instead of opening up branches in almost every city in the world. 

28 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If it was reeally 'muck', KFC would have gone bankrupt long time ago instead of opening up branches in almost every city in the world. 

almost every city in the world

Please Eric I think you know that is not close to true.

I might venture to say that almost all cities with population greater than 3 million will have a KFC.  Some exceptions due to religious tastes (no beef burgers in India, no bacon sandwiches in Arabia).

And of course ideological dictates (KFC = USA = Evil) will deny some KFC outlets, even in big cities.

Lookie: KFC is inferior tasting compared to local Asian chains. In the USA, its Mall Food for teenagers and like Popeyes, its heavy customer base is young urban African American. It tastes nothing like real USA fried chicken. Old timey Black folks hate it. Its not even in the top 10 of chains.

But its got the words Kentucky in it and a cute smiling USA style spokesperson.

Therefore the Asians love it, especially since the menu is subtly designed to the local palate.

So as an American, as a lover of fried chicken, as a former resident of the South and as a man who has eaten the fried chicken lovingly prepared by inumerable Southern Black Granny Church ladies over the years, I can assure you, that the Yardbird you get in KFC, whilst edible, isnt up to snuff in the USA chicken world.

So it isnt a touch or taste of home to me.  On the other hand, if I am sobbing in the corner with waves of homesickness, I go to Mikey Ds and get a Big Mac or BK and get a Whopper, which taste identical to US versions and allow me the homestyle pleasure of stuffing a cardboardy bun replete with creamy, mucous like sauce, a flavourless patty with ersatz cheese and just enough onion to accentuate the insipid flavour of the concoction into my dripping, half toothless bearded gob!  Thats home cookin!

On 2/23/2019 at 9:02 AM, scottiejohn said:

Who comes all the way to Thailand to eat the junk (so called food) from the likes of KFC, McD's etc when there is all that great Thai food available!

Especially when you can get that 1" battered, tripled fried chicken down at the night market. and wash it down with the heavily sugared iced coffee or tea. Not all Thai food is great. It's like everywhere else..you pick and choose.

Archived