Do we now need a promtpay account to claim tax return

My wife went to claim here tax return today with the same kind of letter from Revenue department as previous years and the Krun....ai bank told here it was a new electronically system now for getting paid out tax return and that she had to open a promtpay account to get here money back! Anyone else with this experience?

Thai citizens do not need to open a "promptpay account". All they have to do is link their mobile phone number against their existing bank account in order to receive money sent by promptpay.

Your wife just needs to ask her bank to add promptpay to her existing bank account.

Once that is done she can have the money sent directly to her account. In future years, she should input the mobile telephone number she uses for promptpay into the tax refund website when she does her tax return. Her refund will get credited automatically to her bank account and she won't have to go anywhere.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:03 PM, asiaexpat said:

I get my refund check in the mail since I do not have or want promptpay. 

Okay. Do you have a KTB account? Been there, done that. No refund for me, although my identity hasn't been questioned.

No WP? Can't open a KTB account. No KTB account? Can't deposit that tax refund check by the RD. 

But I do have a SCB account.

Someone should find a solution. Deduct 700 TH, but pay the refund due in a way that actually works.

4 hours ago, WonnabeBiker said:

Okay. Do you have a KTB account? Been there, done that. No refund for me, although my identity hasn't been questioned.

No WP? Can't open a KTB account. No KTB account? Can't deposit that tax refund check by the RD. 

But I do have a SCB account.

Someone should find a solution. Deduct 700 TH, but pay the refund due in a way that actually works.

I cashed the check at KTB without a problem in Bangkok. Sorry to hear u can not.

"... pay the refund due in a way that actually works"

Went to KTB on Wednesday to cash my tax refund voucher. Three customers ahead of me in the service rep queue.

It took 85 minutes to reach the desk. Rep said I needed to have a KTB account. I asked her why I would want an account there after experiencing such a long wait. Besides, not having a WP would mean first going to Immigration for a residence cert.

So, after a phone call, she said she would issue me an "E-Money" card. Basically an ATM card with very limited features. That took half an hour and many many signatures but eventually my measly tax refund was transferred to the card. She then went to a cashier and brought me the cash.

So, all very annoying but the good news is that the card will still be valid next year. Just bring the letter and the card, can be handled quick and easy.

Note: This year, instead of going to the Thai Revenue office, I filed online. Plenty of Thai language help was needed but it got done.

Archived