Getting over charged on electricity

MickeyMaow

I remember talk not so long ago about a new law coming in to stop landlord over charging on electricity. Did that happen? If it did, it certainly is not being in forced. Is there anything you can do if you’re being charged more than double the government rate of electricity?

You can report your landlord to the authorities, and they WILL follow up. This happened to my wife's building a couple months ago by a disgruntled tenant who had been evicted for drunken fighting in the middle of the night on more than one occasion. They forced her to come down to their office with lease agreements and bills etc and she had to prove she was not overcharging. A real PITA.

I am getting charged 7 Baht per unit , when the going rate is 4 Baht .

I am also getting free wi-fi and free room cleansing .

If I were to complain about the electric overcharging 

They would probably charge me for wi-fi usage and not clean my room 

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Nothing is FREE. You are paying for WiFI & Cleaning in your rent. 7 Baht is 175% of what it should be. Go and negotiate.

25 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Nothing is FREE. You are paying for WiFI & Cleaning in your rent. 7 Baht is 175% of what it should be. Go and negotiate.

The free wi-fi isnt stated in my rental contract and the landlord would just start charging 300 Baht for wi-fi and I would save about 150 Baht in electricity savings , leaving my 150 Baht down

3 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Never rent a property unless you can pay your electricity bill direct yourself. Easy.

Sure, you can decide where to live based on one small component of a pretty big equation that entails all kinds of quality of life questions, competitive rental fees and what you get for your money.

Or you can look at the entire package of amenities vs total cost and make a smart decision. 

I paid a significant premium for my electricity where I lived in Asoke.  Some of my Euro co-workers paid the PEA rate for electricity in the same area.  But they paid about 5x what I paid for rent...  I still came out 70,000 baht a month cheaper than they did.  In fairness, by different employment agreements I paid my own rent and they had expat packages that simply set a budget of what the company would pay for theirs.  As expected, they found properties that bumped right up against their budgets.  I shopped around for a better deal overall.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Or you can look at the entire package of amenities vs total cost and make a smart decision. 

Not gonna happen with most complainers .   But kudos to you for figuring that out !

19 hours ago, sanemax said:

I think your on a winner with that one best not to complain wherever I have rented I used to get charged 7 baht which is a lot cheaper than the western world.

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

A reasonable voice... landlords have to make a living too... 

good perspective electriclogicalmax321

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

then no complaint good deal right

1 hour ago, mikecha said:

then no complaint good deal right

Yes, I'm staying in my Condo without a contract , that expired years ago .

No rent increases and doesnt charge me the 100 Baht day fine , if I'm late paying rent .

He gave me my deposit back from the last condo that I rented from him and I only gave him a few days notice , when the contract stated I needed to give him a months notice and I was fully expecting him to keep the deposit , as quite a few things were damaged .

If I started laying down the law , he may do as well and I would come out losing

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I'm staying in my Condo without a contract , that expired years ago .

No rent increases and doesnt charge me the 100 Baht day fine , if I'm late paying rent .

He gave me my deposit back from the last condo that I rented from him and I only gave him a few days notice , when the contract stated I needed to give him a months notice and I was fully expecting him to keep the deposit , as quite a few things were damaged .

If I started laying down the law , he may do as well and I would come out losing

Ditto in my case, lucky to have an excellent land lady. Of course I make sure the rent is always paid before the 5th and pay for the majority of maintenance without troubling her. Have kept a handy man who gets all of it done from the buildings engineers for a reasonable tip. His wife does the cleaning of my apartment and hence has the keys to the apartment. So I don't need to be there personally when the repairs/ maintenance is being done.  

On 2/20/2019 at 3:46 PM, blackcab said:

That law applies to people who rent out 5 residential properties/condos/houses or more.

If you are being charged more than the government rate plus a small percentage then you can complain to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board.

http://www.ocpb.go.th/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN

Do you or anyone know if this applies to Moo Baan's aka Housing areas/villages/developments ?

I know of some that charge more than standard rate on electric.

9 minutes ago, matador007 said:

Do you or anyone know if this applies to Moo Baan's aka Housing areas/villages/developments ?

I know of some that charge more than standard rate on electric.

It does not matter where the properties are located. The individual landlord must have 5 or more residential properties that they let out.

That can be 5 houses in a single moo baan. It could be 2 properties in one moo baan and 3 properties in another moo baan. It could be 5 condos in Bangkok. Or 1 condo in Bangkok, 1 condo in Phuket, a house in Chiang Rai and 2 apartments in Koh Pi Pi.

14 minutes ago, blackcab said:

It does not matter where the properties are located. The individual landlord must have 5 or more residential properties that they let out.

That can be 5 houses in a single moo baan. It could be 2 properties in one moo baan and 3 properties in another moo baan. It could be 5 condos in Bangkok. Or 1 condo in Bangkok, 1 condo in Phuket, a house in Chiang Rai and 2 apartments in Koh Pi Pi.

For example, the developer XYZ in Moo Baan ABC, charges everyone in the Moo Baan 6.5 baht/unit.  So like 30-100 houses or however many in it.

Just wondering if thats ok.  Houses are "owned" by each person(s)/Company within it.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, matador007 said:

For example, the developer XYZ in Moo Baan ABC, charges everyone in the Moo Baan 6.5 baht/unit.  So like 30-100 houses or however many in it.

Just wondering if thats ok.  Houses are "owned" by each person(s)/Company within it.

Thanks.

never seen a moo baan where home owners paid the developer for electricity, they all pay directly to the electric company who bills them each directly

12 minutes ago, matador007 said:

Thanks.

That's a grey area. The only way to find out would be to approach the OCPB.

7 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

never seen a moo baan where home owners paid the developer for electricity, they all pay directly to the electric company who bills them each directly

I've seen one. The projects are normally badly thought out from the beginning and are often put together by developers still in the learning stage.

When the units are all sold it's not their problem any more.

Archived