BANGKOK 18 March 2019 20:29
chowny77

Going to Ho Chi Minh City for visa

I will be flying early Mondy morning to Ho Chi Minh City to obtain a Non-O Ed visa for the degree I am studying for. I was just wondering if anyone could give a heads-up on what to expect regarding with the consulate. Plus any tips on where is best to eat or just hang out as I will have some time to kill before my room is available after being processed. Luckily the place I will be staying will send a taxi for me and it will drop me off at the consulate once I exit arrivals. I did read something about having to pay in US dollars for the Thai visa, just would like to confirm if this is still the case. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited by chowny77

Hotels around September 23 Park are nice, plenty of places to eat and drink.

Don't forget to try Highlands Coffee for a very reasonably price Banh Mi and Viet coffee combo.

I'd get the bus from the airport to the hotel, it's very cheap.

Yep, they want USD.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, brexiteer said:

Pho.

That's all...... going to Saigon don't come back without eating Pho.

Yep, Pho (pronounced fur) is similar to gwitteow in Thailand.

It's totally delicious and always prepared with great care, normally with beef slices.

Compulsory.

Edited by scorecard

Early morning? Flights i am aware of land about 9am up. Don't think you will make consulate before 11.30. Not sure why britmantoo crossed out bus 109 from airport. 20k dong. IMO stay district 1. Bui Vien street area. Saigon is a ripper. Spend few days if possible. The consulate if fair but by the rules. Drop off AM pick up PM next day. Small joint small que. Just re read your op. Your obtaining visa on arrival with " invitation letter"?. If so NO way you will make consulate AM

Edited by DrJack54
Error

Beef is Pho Bo ,,, if your ant-beef the chicken is Pho Ga

Usually about 25,000 Dong ,, about $1 of the US variety

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Early morning? Flights i am aware of land about 9am up. Don't think you will make consulate before 11.30. Not sure why britmantoo crossed out bus 109 from airport. 20k dong. IMO stay district 1. Bui Vien street area. Saigon is a ripper. Spend few days if possible. The consulate if fair but by the rules. Drop off AM pick up PM next day. Small joint small que. Just re read your op. Your obtaining visa on arrival with " invitation letter"?. If so NO way you will make consulate AM

Yeah my flight should touch down 9:15am. I looked online and being a UK citizen it just said I can get a visa on arrival just like with Thailand. The person who will send the taxi to me said it will only take about 20 - 30 mins to get from the airport to the consulate as it is after rush hour. I hope they are correct as I have already booked a return flight the next day.

Just now, chowny77 said:

I looked online and being a UK citizen it just said I can get a visa on arrival just like with Thailand.

VISA waiver ............ VOA you would need to queue at the VISA window.

VISA waiver you just walk straight to the immigration desk.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

VISA waiver ............ VOA you would need to queue at the VISA window.

VISA waiver you just walk straight to the immigration desk.

So I am all good to just walk upto the immigration desk or have I made a boo boo and will have to queue?

7 minutes ago, chowny77 said:

Yeah my flight should touch down 9:15am. I looked online and being a UK citizen it just said I can get a visa on arrival just like with Thailand. The person who will send the taxi to me said it will only take about 20 - 30 mins to get from the airport to the consulate as it is after rush hour. I hope they are correct as I have already booked a return flight the next day.

What time is return flight. Yes being UK you get visa exempt. Go straight to passport control. You have a chance to make it. Just giving everyone heads up. Saigon is same lot of airports, depends how many planes land at your time. High season now. Ive been Vietnam 4 times in last 2 months. Hanoi at tet was zero que. Couldn't believe it. Then Saigon after was a nightmare.

20 minutes taxi consulate will be new world record.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chowny77 said:

So I am all good to just walk upto the immigration desk or have I made a boo boo and will have to queue?

Straight to the immigration desk. They might ask to see your ticket out.

My return flight is the following day at 6 pm. So the idea was to arrive Monday morning and submit and pick up Tuesday afternoon and fly back.

Edited by chowny77

1 minute ago, chowny77 said:

My return flight is the following day at 6 pm

Should have stayed a week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Should have stayed a week.

I would have done but my university is doing mid-term tests at the same time as I need to get my visa. They are ok with a few days missed but not a week.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chowny77 said:

My return flight is the following day at 6 pm. So the idea was to arrive Monday morning and submit and pick up Tuesday afternoon and fly back.

Might work. Your bigger risk taker than this old man. One extra day would make it safe. Buffer so to speak either side. Make sure your consulate way before 1pm for pick up. So first up. Airport by say 2pm all good. BTW...if when you drop paperwork in, if some minor thing you overlooked, there is travel/business opposite that will assist. Small fee for photo copy etc.