Going to Ho Chi Minh City for visa

26 minutes ago, chowny77 said:

Ok. My old passport has my old visa which is good till the 2nd March. I plan to leave Thailand on the old passport and with my new passport get a new visa at the consulate and then enter Thailand on the new passport with a new visa. So I will have both passports on me when I travel.

If you are from the UK and you got your new PP in Thailand , then you cannot leave thailand on your old passport , because it will be invalidated 

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

If you are from the UK and you got your new PP in Thailand , then you cannot leave thailand on your old passport , because it will be invalidated 

What am I missing, he said he will have both passports on him?

7 hours ago, chowny77 said:

Ok. My old passport has my old visa which is good till the 2nd March. I plan to leave Thailand on the old passport and with my new passport get a new visa at the consulate and then enter Thailand on the new passport with a new visa. So I will have both passports on me when I travel.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:
6 hours ago, sanemax said:

What am I missing, he said he will have both passports on him?

Unless one has two active/valid passports at the same time, the "old" passport will have a corner cut-off or hole-punched or similar, so cannot be used for new stamps.  One's "old" passport is primarily useful for showing non-expired visas when entering.

If you go to the airport with a new passport (no stamps) and old one (with your last permitted-stay stamp), they transfer (copy) your current permitted-stay into the new passport, then stamp you out in the new passport.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 7:31 PM, scorecard said:

Yep, Pho (pronounced fur) is similar to gwitteow in Thailand.

It's totally delicious and always prepared with great care, normally with beef slices.

Compulsory.

Always scratch my head when people come up with these crazy pronunications and transliterations.

Pho is closer to fuh or even the French "feu".  Fur?????  You might end up with a bowl of dog hair!

Here is some schooling for you....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pho_n_6084410

As for "gwitteow", you must have made that up.  Would not want to play scrabble with you!

1 hour ago, grifbel said:

Always scratch my head when people come up with these crazy pronunications and transliterations.

Pho is closer to fuh or even the French "feu".  Fur?????  You might end up with a bowl of dog hair!

Here is some schooling for you....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pho_n_6084410

As for "gwitteow", you must have made that up.  Would not want to play scrabble with you!

Perhaps you could slow down a little, my comment about fur was just little hearted banter.

In any event it's very delicious. 

On 2/22/2019 at 9:04 PM, chowny77 said:

To everyone with advice for me, Thank you very much. I will let you all know when I get back how things turned out. Everyone have a great weekend!

OK. So I am back from Vietnam. All went well at the consulate as I had every document ready plus the money in US dollars. The room itself is no more than a box, with many people trying to fill in their application forms, so not the best. I suggest downloading the application form before you go and fill it in. Do not get swindled like me as soon as you get out of the airport with the taxis. Use the free internet and use the Grab application which is free to download on google play. Your GPS should show where you are and you just need to give your destination. I used the Grab bikes as it was faster but also more dangerous to get around but I never saw or encountered an accident. I was staying in district3 and there was a nice bar called "Guru Sports bar" if you just want to have a beer, food and chill out. All I can say is the embassy staff was polite and courteous, and I spent less than 10 minutes putting my application in and about 2 minutes the next day getting my passport. This was by far the best immigration/consulate I have been to. Stop going to Laos and spend a few days in Vietnam. Cheers to all the advice from fellow expats and good luck to the noobies like me that had never been to Vietnam before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chowny77 said:

Do not get swindled like me as soon as you get out of the airport with the taxis

For the benefit of others that find just grabbing a taxi at the airport more convenient, it is possible to do this without getting scammed. You need to find a VinaSun taxi, and be able to spot the fake VinaSun taxis (the fake ones have the wrong phone number written on them). This is what it should look like:

the-real-vinasun-taxi.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chowny77 said:

OK. So I am back from Vietnam. All went well at the consulate as I had every document ready plus the money in US dollars.

Thanks for your report. It would be great if you could let us know which documents you gave them. The last time I went there, they were mostly interested in flight tickets (in and out), but didn't ask me for a bank statement although that was already listed as a requirement. I had one ready in any case. I'm mostly interested in knowing if they want to see hotel bookings, or anything else on top.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chowny77 said:

OK. So I am back from Vietnam. All went well at the consulate as I had every document ready plus the money in US dollars. The room itself is no more than a box, with many people trying to fill in their application forms, so not the best. I suggest downloading the application form before you go and fill it in. Do not get swindled like me as soon as you get out of the airport with the taxis. Use the free internet and use the Grab application which is free to download on google play. Your GPS should show where you are and you just need to give your destination. I used the Grab bikes as it was faster but also more dangerous to get around but I never saw or encountered an accident. I was staying in district3 and there was a nice bar called "Guru Sports bar" if you just want to have a beer, food and chill out. All I can say is the embassy staff was polite and courteous, and I spent less than 10 minutes putting my application in and about 2 minutes the next day getting my passport. This was by far the best immigration/consulate I have been to. Stop going to Laos and spend a few days in Vietnam. Cheers to all the advice from fellow expats and good luck to the noobies like me that had never been to Vietnam before.

Glad it worked out. I've used taxis before, but prefer a bike where there's a hurry to get to the embassy. My last trip around 2016 I picked up a bike outside the airport for $4 to the consulate, seems about the going rate. The other essential I find is a short term sim package from one of the airport desks, so you can navigate easily with Google maps etc.