Jump to content
BANGKOK 25 March 2019 10:17
Denim

Wichien Buri traffic fatality . Foreigner killed.

Recommended Posts

I don't know if this will make the news but a foreigner ( unknown nationality ) riding a red motorcycle

( Honda Wave ) was involved in a collision with a pickup truck at the bridge over the BaSak river going into Wichien Buri town.

 

Wife showed me the pictures on facebook but I can't show as don't do facebook.

 

Sad day for somebody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually not a pickup but a sedan.

 

 

1550677918204.jpg

 

Sedan appears to be on the correct side of the road just coming onto the bridge. Motorcycle has just crossed the bride and seems to have drifted to the right negotiating the bend.

 

Must have happened not too long after we crossed the bridge ourselves in the afternoon about 2.00 o'clocking. Big foreign community in these parts so will be known to someone.

 

 

 

Edited by Denim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

A sad end to a life.

Yes, and a largely unnoticed one.

 

When this happens in a tourist hot spot like Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hun etc, the local English language press will pick up on it and give it some cover.

 

Here in the boonies you can get killed and nobody will know. Makes me wonder at how many similar fatalities there are that go unnoticed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Denim said:

Yes, and a largely unnoticed one.

 

When this happens in a tourist hot spot like Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hun etc, the local English language press will pick up on it and give it some cover.

 

Here in the boonies you can get killed and nobody will know. Makes me wonder at how many similar fatalities there are that go unnoticed.

I think it is something that happens every day in the UK, and may only get picked up in the local newspaper, unless it is a major crash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I think it is something that happens every day in the UK, and may only get picked up in the local newspaper, unless it is a major crash. 

True. 

 

Went past the local cop shop this morning and the two vehicles involved were parked out front.

Surprising amount of damage for what is normally a slow bend.

 

 

P_20190221_132239_1_1_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove to Bangkok last Sunday.  The first 30 km is on a country road, single lane each direction, but good quality.  Coming up to one right hander, there was a western guy in T-shirt, shorts, flip-flops and no helmet coming the other way on a scooter, going way too fast.  I could tell he wasn't going to make the bend and started braking.  Sure enough, he overshot the corner and, as I came to a halt, he swung almost all the way across my lane and back into his, just missing my front bumper.  I imagine a similar situation to the one above, and, if it had have been a blind corner and I had no time to react, would have ended up with the same result.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I drove to Bangkok last Sunday.  The first 30 km is on a country road, single lane each direction, but good quality.  Coming up to one right hander, there was a western guy in T-shirt, shorts, flip-flops and no helmet coming the other way on a scooter, going way too fast.  I could tell he wasn't going to make the bend and started braking.  Sure enough, he overshot the corner and, as I came to a halt, he swung almost all the way across my lane and back into his, just missing my front bumper.  I imagine a similar situation to the one above, and, if it had have been a blind corner and I had no time to react, would have ended up with the same result.

 

Yep. That's how it looked to me. 

 

However, I got an explanation at the post office which is 100 yards away. Apparently, the car driver told the police that the foreigner looked to be going too fast for that particular bend.

In this case even 60 kph is too fast.

 

It would have been ok but the foreigner had forgotten to push up his side stand which caught on the road as he leant over and sent him into the front of the car where he head butted the windscreen......with no helmet on.

 

I see a lot of foreigners in Wichien Buri, 90% of them on small wave like bikes and almost none of them bothering to wear a helmet and yet going at speeds between 60 - 80 kph. wearing shorts and sandals.  I think i am one of the few that always wears a helmet , gloves , jeans and ankle boots.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(a) the foreigner looked to be going too fast for that particular bend (in this case even 60 kph is too fast). (b) The foreigner had forgotten to push up his side stand. (c) The side stand caught on the road as he leant over and sent him into the front of the car. (d) His head butted the windscreen with no helmet on.

 

a + b + c + d = 0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The foreigner involved in this collision was a 44 yo old Swedish man over here with his Thai wife for a short holiday. The driver of the other car was a female going to work at the Big C shopping mall. 

He had also just joined our golf society at Phetchabun Battle Horse Army barracks, playing a couple of games during his time here.

As far as I am aware he was taken to Phitsanulok for the post mortem and the Swedish embassy were assisting the family.

RIP big man, we only knew you briefly and a sad end to your stay in Wichian Buri.

 

 

 

 

Edited by phutoie2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...