Thai police seek to prosecute leader of anti-junta party popular with young

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, briansbiology said:

not much of a connection between T and P.  one was elected through populist rhetoric the other simply seized power.. As for both wanting autocratic rule...what politiican doesnt? one elected to buck the establishment the other the face of establishment. better to compare T and Thaksin. 

One seized power, the other hijacked a party and got an assist from his Russian comrades.

(I won't even touch the electoral college aspect)

"But no collusion"

All the young conscripts in the military. Wonder if they will be coerced to vote against their hearts? My son is lucky enough to just be of age to vote, and as I hear it, he, his friends, others their age and most young adults will certainly not be voting for the Junta or the usual old timers in the race. They have fully had enough of this old style of Junta elite rule protecting the elite and themselves and want a full change for their generation. I cannot fathom what will happen if they rack him and the Future Forward party up. Even Abhisit and the democrats are up in arms along with the Pheua Thai members becoming quite vocal. Will it stop at the Future Forward Party attack, or will they wipe all the non Junta political parties clean from the slate? Listen to the song!

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

All the young conscripts in the military. Wonder if they will be coerced to vote against their hearts? My son is lucky enough to just be of age to vote, and as I hear it, he, his friends, others their age and most young adults will certainly not be voting for the Junta or the usual old timers in the race. They have fully had enough of this old style of Junta elite rule protecting the elite and themselves and want a full change for their generation. I cannot fathom what will happen if they rack him and the Future Forward party up. Even Abhisit and the democrats are up in arms along with the Pheua Thai members becoming quite vocal. Will it stop at the Future Forward Party attack, or will they wipe all the non Junta political parties clean from the slate? Listen to the song!

I am sure the Junta are warming their tanks up, itching to show their full power. Should get interesting....

33 minutes ago, simtemple said:

5G is about mind control. Great for Fascist Military Regimes who oppose the Democratic will of the people.

https://youtu.be/oorI5WveYwA

And 5G is potentially very damaging to human and animal health (damages tissue at the sub-cellular level and causes difficulty in the uptake of oxygen - amongst other little delights!).

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

Seems to me that the junta is setting the stage for civil unrest and possibly uprising... 

Hopefully it won't happen,and if it does, I hope that my wife, my two dogs and I will be in another country.

Unfortunately it has to happen.

It is the ONLY way this never ending circle of army/elite involvement in upsetting the democratic will of the people can be broken.

Unfortunately this will involve bloodshed and chaos, and student martyrs and mimic previous black days in Thai history.

Hopefully it will be the very last time.

Also hopefully it will be limited to the streets of BKK and not spread countrywide.

Hopefully this time the average Thai will have the power of social media & the internet to see the army atrocities in their full light and stand by the side of the students and genuine democracy participants.

Enough is enough.

9 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

It appears the Junta perceives him as a threat therefore they will criminalize him to remove the threat (in accordance with their 'constitution')

I doubt that they will ban Thanathorn and his party - although it is certainly very possible. I think they are confident that they (the militarist powers) are going to 'win' - one way or another ...

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I doubt that they will ban Thanathorn and his party - although it is certainly very possible. I think they are confident that they (the militarist powers) are going to 'win' - one way or another ...

And they have 60 days to "count" the votes!

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

And they have 60 days to "count" the votes!

Yes indeed. And I am sure that the counting of the votes will be meticulous - extremely careful, conscientious and accurate - as one would expect from these honourable people ...

The junta is running scared

I guess they realise  they cannot win a fair election and people really do hate them.

Realistically things are going to change here and certainly not for the better I suspect civil unrest will become more popular plus its controls and probable counter coups

And we are worried about visas 

3 minutes ago, poohy said:

The junta is running scared

I guess they realise  they cannot win a fair election and people really do hate them.

Realistically things are going to change here and certainly not for the better I suspect civil unrest will become more popular plus its controls and probable counter coups

There is still an appreciable number of Thais (the minority, certainly) who will vote for the militarists. I am surrounded by many of them. 

And the well-educated who oppose the militarists will not dare to speak out. That has been my experience. 

Either way, I think we can 'look forward' to a continuance of the militarist regime - for as long as the Thais allow it to go on.

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

I think an awful lot of Thais DO see through all of this and know fully well what is going on, and they don't like it.

The problem is: they are not (en masse) doing anything about it - not even in the smallest of ways (not even a symbolic protest, to show non-compliance). Now, we can legitimately argue over the reasons for this - is it lack of grit (although some Thais are immensely brave - look at the demonstrators outside the military base yesterday), or is it a very justified fear of horrific, homicidal violence being meted out against them? One can argue it both ways. The fact remains, however, that only the Thais can take their country back - no one else. It is up to them. I think there will be a few pockets of resisters later in the year - but the majority, the vast, vast majority - will sit on their hands. 

And you can't blame them when you remember the army and Oct 1976. Anyone who opposes this junta will be considered a communist by Apirat and his cohorts; hence the song, Nak Phandin.

3 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

Thailand is going the same way as Cambodia I fear. 

I disagree.

If this party is banned,

if the election comes out as a complete farce and fraud,

i think it will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Thailand & Cambodia are just too historically different, economically, diplomatically, etc etc.

Hun Sen will remain in power until the Khmer people rise up, Mr P will either be on a plane out of the country or hanging from a public lamp post.

It will get messy.

As my previous post said, Enough is Enough.

Watch this space.

59 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I am sure the Junta are warming their tanks up, itching to show their full power. Should get interesting....

maybe, and maybe many of the underlings are starting to see the light and can see there is no future in this approach - wouldn't be the first time an internal revolt has stymied a countries army.  

6 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

and we all know what happens when Thais face reality.

Anger, denial, violence. 

In that order.

More like Anger, violence. There is no denial because denial requires inner acknowledgement of fault.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Actually, I find this quite interesting. The FFP must be trending a great deal of support if the PTB feel that there is a need to use extra-legal measures to try to knock them out of the race; I would LOVE to see the polling data that the Junta has. And, when I say polling data, I do not mean the garbage printed in the media showing that Prayut has 89.04% 'determination', I mean data regarding polling intentions.

The problem is that these are not extra-legal measures - immoral, disgusting, vicious yes but quite legal The ministry of TRuth has all the facts and whatever they decide are the facts will be the facts.

44 minutes ago, poohy said:

I think you guys should stop worrying about thai visas and put effort into plan B location visa requirements .

I do not know one thai from various levels of society happy with Buck Banana and i'm talking quite a large number thais here .

If this guy gets big vote numbers it will be from count cheating .

Most not that interested in the old favourites either. Very little doubt in fact it going get bloody but exact catalyst and time hard to tell . This going make 2010 look like a slightly drunk full moon party and without the kind hearted old grandfather of thailand some serious atrocities could easily happen, the military top brass are quite honestly insane from rich breeding and no true respect or care for the country or thai people ...

Temper tantrums they have in front a microphone are sad but behind military weapons it will end in a bloody mess true buffalo brain thai style ...

Yes, they only shown the real power , and so it will be now and forever (??) !!!! Only to accept it and go on , they will never ever give up the power !!!!

What power?

As I said before - the only thing the Thai people need to do is unite - and do NOTHING.

The country would come to a standstill if nobody goes to work tomorrow and the little men in green would realize very quickly that they hold no real power at all.

They can warm up a thousand tanks if there is nobody to shoot at they are pretty useless.

People can just stay home and put a sign with a stretched middle finger into their windows.

The Thai people have all the power without using any violence - they just don’t know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My my my, if it wasn't for the fact that i stepped outside this morning & everyone was still speaking Thai i'd swear I woke up in Cambodia with Hun Sen as leader.

Same goes with the fabricated election in Myanmar... military still have the power !

Thailand is slipping backwards into martial law!

The desire to pursue Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of the Future Forward Party, is nothing but a reflection of the desperation the army is feeling. He appears to be one of the top candidates, and that is the ONLY reason he is being targeted. They will do anything to cling to power, and to pursue this guy for being critical of the army is beyond nonsense. Of course he was critical of the army. There are a hundred areas where the army has come up short, and Prayuth has been one of the most incompetent PM's since Abhisit. He has done nothing for his people. He is simply protecting the elite, and the nation is sliding backwards under his watch. These madmen desperados need to be shown the door, and put out to pasture. Thailand has very, very little use for its army. 

Archived