IS teenager Shamima Begum will not be allowed into Bangladesh

webfact

IS teenager Shamima Begum will not be allowed into Bangladesh

2019-02-20T181917Z_1_LYNXNPEF1J1I5_RTROPTP_4_MIDEAST-CRISIS-BRITAIN-TEENAGER.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Renu Begum, sister of teenage British girl Shamima Begum, holds a photo of her sister as she makes an appeal for her to return home at Scotland Yard, in London, Britain February 22, 2015. REUTERS/Laura Lean/Pool

(Reuters) - A teenager who was stripped of her British citizenship after leaving London to join the Islamic State (IS) group is not a Bangladeshi citizen and there was "no question" of her being allowed to enter the country, the foreign ministry in Dhaka said on Wednesday.

It added it was "deeply concerned that she has been erroneously identified as a holder of dual citizenship shared with Bangladesh alongside her birthplace, the United Kingdom."

Shamima Begum, 19, left to join IS when she was 15 but now wants to return. Her British citizenship was revoked on security grounds.

"She is a British citizen by birth and has never applied for dual nationality with Bangladesh," the Bangledeshi foreign ministry said in a statement.

(Reporting by Ruma Paul, writing by Elisabeth O'Leary; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-21

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happens now, as making someone Stateless is in breach of international law. There have been hundreds of Islamic State 'fighters' who have returned to their Western home countries, but seems to be very little info or no info on how they are being dealt with by our respective governments - does anyone have any facts regards government action/s.

oh  deary deary me..............TOUGH SH*T  luv , you made  your bed now  lie in it whilst  all those brave isis fighters  hump you, dont worry though your god (  choose  any)  will save you.

If the fans of this woman get creative, the rest of us can too. So, she must be returned to British soil. They say it is her human right. That does not mean she must be dumped in a free luxury house in London with full welfare benefits. Such a situation would leave her free to convert others to the extreme islam she loves so much.

I would suggest if we absolutely must take her back she can live alone on one of the outlying Falkland islands. After making some sort of earth shelter, she can hunt penguins for food and make her own clothing. It will be cold she must scavenge for twigs to make fires. Seeing as the islands are treeless this will be a time-consuming task. This will all give her time to consider her actions and will not be tempting for others to follow her steps. Downside to this, nope, it's all good.

So now she is stateless. I think her next step is to apply for a citizenship in Syria. After all, she has been there a while and surely by now she is eligible. If not, maybe refugee status? Keep your head up young lady, and be strong, we've all had our ups and downs. And no, we don't, or I personally don't want you in the Netherlands either.

1 minute ago, SweetStickyRice said:

So now she is stateless. I think her next step is to apply for a citizenship in Syria. After all, she has been there a while and surely by now she is eligible. If not, maybe refugee status? Keep your head up young lady, and be strong, we've all had our ups and downs. And no, we don't, or I personally don't want you in the Netherlands either.

She will be very disappointed with you. I hear that she's already acquired a pair of explosive clogs.

31 minutes ago, SweetStickyRice said:

Assume, you're joking, iS are an enemy of the Assad dictatorship. Without doubt, if captured by Assad forces she would be tortured and killed.

Herein lies the problem of allowing politicians (playing to the gallery) strip people of their citizenship.

This will undoubtedly now go to a court hearing and the Home Secretary will undoubtedly be asked on what basis did he determine this individual held dual citizenship.

Stripping her British citizenship without confirming she has a second citizenship is illegal.

Unfortunately providing evidence that he acted legally wrt her citizenship is only part of the Home Secretary’s problems.

He also has to demonstrate ‘just cause’, stomach turningly disgusting as the statements attributed to Begum are, disturbing as her actions are she cannot be punished for alleged crimes without conviction for those crimes being handed down by a court of law.

The Home Secretary has got himself in a mess.

Had Begum not spoken to The Times but instead quietly arrived at a British port of entry, she would have been granted entry, been subjected to police investigation and due process of the courts.

The power to strip citizenship needs to be taken out of the hands of politicians and placed under the jurisdiction of the courts.

Citizens legitimize Government, Government should never be allowed to de-legitimize Citizens.

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

After making some sort of earth shelter, she can hunt penguins for food

We regret to inform you that your proposal has been disapproved...as it would be an egregious and intolerable violation of penguin rights. You may submit an appeal within 30 calendar days for final disapproval.

A legal limbo, that's where she is at. Has a nice Guantanamo bay feel to it, in my opinion. It is going to take years and years before this is untangled in the courts, and until then she is well placed where she is at right now. In the middle of the desert with nowhere to go but 6 feet under.

I would even go one step further and ostracize her completely. Ban the media in the UK from reporting on this traitor and brand this story as fake news. Pretend as if nothing happened. I'm sure she'll figure it out, we've all had our ups and downs. Stay where you are young lady, it is best for all of us. If you've left the UK to go and help "YOUR" people, help "US" now and just stay there. I always like to end things on a slightly positive note. Young lady, despite anything, you did what you believed in and should be proud of yourself. If you return, it will completely erase what you have stood for in the first place. Is it worth it? Stay where you are. It's best for all of us and you.

2 hours ago, kannot said:

oh  deary deary me..............TOUGH SH*T  luv , you made  your bed now  lie in it whilst  all those brave isis fighters  hump you, dont worry though your god (  choose  any)  will save you.

No, international law will save her. The UK can't make her stateless by law so she will bask under the shadow of the union Jack again. As with Brexit the government has jumped the gun without looking at the facts, they will be forced to reinstate her British nationality.

11 minutes ago, Bullie said:

A legal limbo, that's where she is at. Has a nice Guantanamo bay feel to it, in my opinion. It is going to take years and years before this is untangled in the courts, and until then she is well placed where she is at right now. In the middle of the desert with nowhere to go but 6 feet under.

I’ve got two words for you, they’re Latin.

You’re not going to like them.

‘habeas corpus‘.

4 minutes ago, SweetStickyRice said:

I would even go one step further and ostracize her completely. Ban the media in the UK from reporting on this traitor and brand this story as fake news. Pretend as if nothing happened. I'm sure she'll figure it out, we've all had our ups and downs. Stay where you are young lady, it is best for all of us. If you've left the UK to go and help "YOUR" people, help "US" now and just stay there. I always like to end things on a slightly positive note. Young lady, despite anything, you did what you believed in and should be proud of yourself. If you return, it will completely erase what you have stood for in the first place. Is it worth it? Stay where you are. It's best for all of us and you.

So exactly what threat to British freedoms and way of life do you believe Begum poses?

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So exactly what threat to British freedoms and way of life do you believe Begum poses?

Thanks to this woman and her ilk life in the UK has forever changed. Huge ugly concrete blocks are being placed everywhere to stop them driving trucks over pedestrians. Security fences and scanners at public events. Stop and search checks are increased. Brits live in fear, unable to own weapons for self defense against this lot. Defending yourself against them in an attack leads to hate crime and racism charges, we heard this 1st hand from a poster here yesterday. Freedom for kids to eat bacon and pork products in schools has been lost. Freedom to celebrate Easter is gone its spring holiday these days, wouldn't want to offend them now would we. Can you start to see that freedoms and the traditional way of life has been and continues to be lost? And for what gain?

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘habeas corpus‘.

Fortunately it doesn't apply in this case. Habeas Corpus only applies to people already in custody. She is languishing in her tent in Syria, at her own free will, not detained. I doubt that a British court would order her to appear before them.

She's stuck there until a court makes a final decision on her fate. As other have said, it could take years.

the UK has allowed 700 + IS fighters back into the UK nothing much was/is said about that, i dont want her here either but i can gaurantee there are male fighters let back into our country that have  got UK blood on their hands, a lot worse than this girl has done,

Just now, TopDeadSenter said:

Thanks to this woman and her ilk life in the UK has forever changed. Huge ugly concrete blocks are being placed everywhere to stop them driving trucks over pedestrians. Security fences and scanners at public events. Stop and search checks are increased. Brits live in fear, unable to own weapons for self defense against this lot. Defending yourself against them in an attack leads to hate crime and racism charges, we heard this 1st hand from a poster here yesterday. Freedom for kids to eat bacon and pork products in schools has been lost. Freedom to celebrate Easter is gone its spring holiday these days, wouldn't want to offend them now would we. Can you start to see that freedoms and the traditional way of life has been and continues to be lost? And for what gain?

The question was rhetorical.

SweatStickyRice was proposing a raft of measure suspending freedoms and rights.

It’s the crass idiocy of eagerly giving up important rights just to get what you want in the short term.

Becoming what you say you hate.

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I would suggest if we absolutely must take her back she can live alone on one of the outlying Falkland islands. After making some sort of earth shelter, she can hunt penguins for food and make her own clothing. It will be cold she must scavenge for twigs to make fires. Seeing as the islands are treeless this will be a time-consuming task.

I'm not sure that the Royal Marines would allow her to join... ????

1 minute ago, mercman24 said:

the UK has allowed 700 + IS fighters back into the UK nothing much was/is said about that, i dont want her here either but i can gaurantee there are male fighters let back into our country that have  got UK blood on their hands, a lot worse than this girl has done,

True but does she warrant being given safe haven in the UK?

22 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘habeas corpus‘.

Since he doesn't actually "have" the "body", Chomper, the words do not apply to him, whether he "likes" them or not.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Fortunately it doesn't apply in this case. Habeas Corpus only applies to people already in custody. She is languishing in her tent in Syria, at her own free will, not detained. I doubt that a British court would order her to appear before them.

She's stuck there until a court makes a final decision on her fate. As other have said, it could take years.

The Home Secretary has stated he will do all in his power to prevent her return.

He should have kept his mouth shut, he can now be demonstrated to have acted to ensure she is denied access to due process.

Don’t bet on your understanding of the law.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Home Secretary has stated he will do all in his power to prevent her return.

He should have kept his mouth shut, he can now be demonstrated to have acted to ensure she is denied access to due process.

Don’t bet on your understanding of the law.

Her case can quite legitimately heard "in absentia". The case revolves around the fact that currently she doesn't have British citizenship. Until it is declared, by a court, that she is a British citizen, she has no rights to enter the country.

"Chomper Higgot" I find your question rather silly and would be a waste of my life to reply to that because it's very obvious. It is not I who holds the power to grant, revoke or reinstate citizenships. It's the British government and for good reason. I will let you do the research and come to your own conclusion. If you still feel offended by what I have written, life will go on. "TopDeadSenter" Thank you for taking the time to reply to that silly question.  

As someone else has mentioned, Guantanamo Bay sounds like the kind of Butlin's camp that would suit her (orange-suit) her down to the ground.

Let's make use of the so-called Special Relationship between the US and the UK. (However, slight problem:  Obama told the Brits to go to the back of the queue if they were daft enough to vote Brexit...)

Just now, SweetStickyRice said:

"Chomper Higgot" I find your question rather silly and would be a waste of my life to reply to that because it's very obvious. It is not I who holds the power to grant, revoke or reinstate citizenships. It's the British government and for good reason. I will let you do the research and come to your own conclusion. If you still feel offended by what I have written, life will go on. "TopDeadSenter" Thank you for taking the time to reply to that silly question.  

The ultimate right lies with the courts, not the government. Ultimately it will end up with the European Court of Human Rights, who will, undoubtedly find in her favour. However this normally takes years.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Her case can quite legitimately heard "in absentia". The case revolves around the fact that currently she doesn't have British citizenship. Until it is declared, by a court, that she is a British citizen, she has no rights to enter the country.

It will be declared.... by the UN, you are not allowed to make one of your citizens stateless. Pretty clear cut really, they stripped one of their citizens of her nationality without using due care to ensure she had or could obtain another nationality, Bangladesh is quite adamant there, she wont get a passport from them, the ball is back in the UK's court, they broke international law. The fact that I and most other Brits feel she should stay where she is doesn't enter into it.

Archived