Up to 15 British ministers may vote to stop UK from leaving EU on March 29: Bloomberg

webfact

9 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Same like you cannot run a golf club where one member doesn’t obey the rules and keeps stirring things up and pestering the other members. 

13 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Maybe, 2 times the U.K. asked to be allowed in the E. U.. ( E. E. C. than) 

2 times C. de Gaulle  vetoed it, claiming the U. K. don't fit in the E. U. 

Finally they were allowed. 

Now they want to leave, fair enough. 

There was friction between the UK and the EU from day 1. De Gaulle set the tone. France were our primary opponents then and always will be. Maybe it was the CAP which France benefitted from greatly, and received disproportionate subsidies for, due to their fractured and medieval agriculture, France refused to modernise their farming industry and insisted that the EU continued to prop it up. The UK spoke out the loudest against this madness.  

Some say that it went deeper than that, back to WW2 when France capitulated to Germany, like a tart with no knickers, and then were totally reliant on the UK to ride to the rescue, causing the overly proud and nationalistic French major loss of face.

We let De Gaulle ride into Paris , triumphantly at the head of the troups, even though he'd spent the whole war sat in an office with no windows, deep in the bowels of the MoD. All to help him and France save face. It didn't work. De Gaulle and many French people hated the UK and many still do.

Some say that it goes back as far as Agincourt, the French are still enraged whenever we stick 2 fingers up at them.

Whatever the reason, France have been at war with us since the day we joined and, if we did remain, would continue to be at war with us until the end of time.

Don't blame us for being the petulant member and stirring things up. We are British, these colours don't run (the main reason I am a remainer), if someone picks a fight with us we will oblige. Don't blame us for tensions within the EU, blame the arrogant, aloof, British hating, French.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always interesting to read a point of view.

Some French claim the hate of the U.K. against France date from 1216 when France occupied a part of England and also London.

Go figure.

We Belgian have always been occupied by someone,

But of course we are insignificant, not like The U.K. and France, both countries which have had their glories.

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

None of us know, if the people’s Democratic vote will be respected on March 30th, or if the establishment and their little groupies ????????????will be successful in preventing the U.K from leaving the hated E.u.

But let’s just say for arguments sake, that the U.K is kept shackled to Brussels. Do you not see that this would lead to a festering wound, that would live for generations, until the U.K would eventually gain its independence.

This is why I think European europhiles, should seriously consider, is it worth the future agro to keep us tied into their little union. Well apart from our charitable contributions. 

Eventually the grumpy old gits will die of old age and that will be that.

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Some French claim the hate of the U.K. against France date from 1216 when France occupied a part of England and also London.

Louis invaded England at the invite of the rebel barons, who were pissed off with King John. Landed in England in June 1216 no battles were fought. Less than 12 months later, Louis did a runner after his army was defeated at the Battle of Lincon, his navy was defeated soon afterwards at the Battle of Sandwich. 

It's an event in British history that very few Brits know anything about. Certainly doesn't cause any animosity between us and the French.

However, the Hundred Years War, where England invaded France for, err....a hundred years, is still taught in French schools (Jean d'Arc and all that) and still festers amongst the French population. Brits have no animosity towards the French, other than as a result of their animosity directed at us.

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I would be careful you are categorising yourself with a 'Spoonies and Benny' holiday person.:glare:

I eat Bury black pudding, here in Thailand, however I've always been a Spoonies holiday person.

As for tripe, my father taught me to make a Spanish tapas dish with tripe, chick peas, chorizo and chilli. Seriously delicious, best served in Benidorm.

28 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Its one thing someone Lording it. Its another thing someone else wallowing around in their own stupidity.

It doesn't really help anyone playing the 'education card' on a public forum, if you don't want to engage in dialogue with members who havn't been lucky enough to achieve your academic achievements, better to ignore than insult.

15 hours ago, AlexRich said:

It’s just strange that all of little Sebastian’s vocalised concerns have a central theme ... Muslims, immigrants?

Same old wine, different bottles. We all know what he is, perhaps you are that way too?

You are still just guessing and accusing, without knowing anything really. 

1 minute ago, vogie said:

It doesn't really help anyone playing the 'education card' on a public forum, if you don't want to engage in dialogue with members who havn't been lucky enough to achieve your academic achievements, better to ignore than insult.

Problem is that the issue is in the public domain particularly with the "anti-expert", "anti-elite" sentiments of the Brexiteers, so not so easy to sweep under the carpet.

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

You are still just guessing and accusing, without knowing anything really. 

We've moved on from that, we're now on the Hundred Years War and black pudding. Feel free to comment.

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I eat Bury black pudding, here in Thailand, however I've always been a Spoonies holiday person.

As for tripe, my father taught me to make a Spanish tapas dish with tripe, chick peas, chorizo and chilli. Seriously delicious, best served in Benidorm.

Brave man. Never did get to Benidorm but did go to Torremolinos. Maybe we should all move back there.

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Brave man. Never did get to Benidorm but did go to Torremolinos. Maybe we should all move back there.

Only been once, a mate dragged me there for a few days. He went for the sex shows and cheap beer, which wasn't really my thing. I can remember going to see a performance by Sticky Vicky, a Benidorm legend. I sat in a corner watching a World Cup match on TV. He was engrossed in the performance.

Luckily, we stayed in the old town, up on a hill, quaint, relatively unspoilt Spanish fishing village. Several really cool tapas bars, a great little beach and even managed to catch a Spanish wedding in the ancient church. I really enjoyed my few days there, my mate, not so much.

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Good job that the internet gives some uneducated know-nothings the opportunity to vent.

Yes, they can see how educated know-alls instantly accuse without evidence and show that it is really they who are ignorant.

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Yes, they can see how educated know-alls instantly accuse without evidence and show that it is really they who are ignorant.

I was educated at the University of Life. Passed with flying colours. Does that count?

6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Of course.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I was educated at the University of Life. Passed with flying colours. Does that count?

Yes.

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Only if you have pasted that into your Facebook status you also attended ‘The School of Hard Knocks’ and your profile picture is either a muscle car or a picture of your national flag. 

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Don't know the reference, but here's some black pudding for our international readers:

black pudding.jpeg

The reference is very vivid on these Brexit threads with countless remain arguments calling brexiteers, as those who eat/drink at Wetherspoons (spoonies) and those who go on holiday to Benidorm Benny. Indicating that they are uneducated and somewhat ignorant of life and facts. Totally baseless, as are many arguments from some remainers.

20 minutes ago, samran said:

Only if you have pasted that into your Facebook status you also attended ‘The School of Hard Knocks’ and your profile picture is either a muscle car or a picture of your national flag. 

Don't have Facebook but certainly went to the school of hard knocks. I prefer beautiful women to muscle cars.

Don't really know what my national flag is. British passport but feel that Thailand is my home. Also, my father was born in Spain, one grandmother German, the other a Welsh gypsy. Choices, choices....

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The reference is very vivid on these Brexit threads with countless remain arguments calling brexiteers, as those who eat/drink at Wetherspoons (spoonies) and those who go on holiday to Benidorm Benny. Indicating that they are uneducated and somewhat ignorant of life and facts. Totally baseless, as are many arguments from some remainers.

But, but, but....I'm a remainer, I've been to Benidorm and always ate breakfast in Wetherspoons when on holiday (washed down with a pint of Stella). Some people would consider me uneducated, but I am intelligent (IQ 140).

Now, Laughing Boy, what on earth possessed you to vote leave? Thick or wot? 555

Just now, Spidey said:

But, but, but....I'm a remainer, I've been to Benidorm and always ate breakfast in Wetherspoons when on holiday (washed down with a pint of Stella). Some people would consider me uneducated, but I am intelligent (IQ 140).

Now, Laughing Boy, what on earth possessed you to vote leave? Thick or wot? 555

I am not one to stigmatise people, I leave that to remainers.

I can see you are trying to impact me with your sense of humour. Sadly I am still sitting on my chair and my chuckle resembles wind.

Why did I vote to leave the corrupt, unaccountable, federalised EU who behave more like a pacifist Nazi party than an economic trading partner.

Also the fact that the UK has been part of this lie that was fed to the public and that this 'boys club' wants closer federalisation, is something I don't like.

Does that give you an idea petal.555

On 2/23/2019 at 2:02 PM, nausea said:

It's aĺl about logistics. People put to much emphasis on the political side, but if you're isolated from your nearest market, that's gonna hurt, no two ways about it.

3 of those markets where one ours ! fishing , farming and car manufctor were our own. now take a look at the state of the towns and cities where once they flourished.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am not one to stigmatise people, I leave that to remainers.

I can see you are trying to impact me with your sense of humour. Sadly I am still sitting on my chair and my chuckle resembles wind.

Why did I vote to leave the corrupt, unaccountable, federalised EU who behave more like a pacifist Nazi party than an economic trading partner.

Also the fact that the UK has been part of this lie that was fed to the public and that this 'boys club' wants closer federalisation, is something I don't like.

Does that give you an idea petal.555

Yes, you've explained it very succinctly. You're sat in your chair and are in dire need of a tinfoil hat, or maybe your chalfonts are playing you up.

No one has ever called me petal before, I'm quite touched but, sorry to disappoint you, I'm not gay. Maybe that's how you acquired your chalfonts? 

5 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Maybe, 2 times the U.K. asked to be allowed in the E. U.. ( E. E. C. than) 

2 times C. de Gaulle  vetoed it, claiming the U. K. don't fit in the E. U. 

Finally they were allowed. 

Now they want to leave, fair enough. 

The EU is not the Common Market.

We were happy to be members of and elected to be in the Common Market which was a mutually beneficial trading organisation.

It has now morphed into the EU which sees itself as a European governing body. We are not happy to be in that and have now elected to hopefully leave it.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Problem is that the issue is in the public domain particularly with the "anti-expert", "anti-elite" sentiments of the Brexiteers, so not so easy to sweep under the carpet.

There is no excuse for not being properly informed on an issue as serious as Brexit. I do find the lack of general knowledge annoying as it hinders sensible discussion. If that is "lording it", so be it.

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yes, you've explained it very succinctly. You're sat in your chair and are in dire need of a tinfoil hat, or maybe your chalfonts are playing you up.

No one has ever called me petal before, I'm quite touched but, sorry to disappoint you, I'm not gay. Maybe that's how you acquired your chalfonts? 

Nobody has called me boy for a long time either. I couldn't care if you were gay or not.

My Rockfords are fine also thanks but it seems that you maybe showing some compassion.

Archived