Up to 15 British ministers may vote to stop UK from leaving EU on March 29: Bloomberg

webfact

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yes, I've been to France several times. Apart from Paris, the dislike of the British is palpable.

AS I've said before, it's better to be inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in. Better to stay and fight than run and hide.

We're British,

1043615928_Thesecolours.png.083baaf16dd140d856afef94bf9c6e4f.png

In all honesty I lived in France for about 5 years and made many French friends. Maybe a lot depends on which side of the demarcation zone you visited, I lived in the free French side where the dislike of the Germans is still strong today, one young French lady married a German and she was totally ostracized.

They did say though that it felt like the British had abandoned them when we left via Dunkirk.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, vogie said:

In all honesty I lived in France for about 5 years and made many French friends. Maybe a lot depends on which side of the demarcation zone you visited, I lived in the free French side where the dislike of the Germans is still strong today, one young French lady married a German and she was totally ostracized.

They did say though that it felt like the British had abandoned them when we left via Dunkirk.

Not sure where the demarcation line was. Most of my visits were along the south coast. I particularly remember an altercation with a French farmer near Saint Tropez who made it abundantly clear that he wanted nothing to do with us Brits. Also have an aunt from Bordeaux, who has lived in the UK for most of her life but still hates the British.

Also, here in Pattaya, I used to have a neighbour from Alsace. One morning his Thai wife invited me round for coffee. He was sat with his friend, also from Alsace. They spoke no English, and were speaking French to each other so I started talking to them in French. They immediately started talking to each other in German. Wanted nothing to do with me. Hadn't seen him for a couple of years and the other day he was touring round my estate, looking for a house. I offered to show him round my house and invited him in for coffee. He declined and rode off.

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That has been the plan all along IMHO. No tinfoil hat needed just a bit of common sense and knowledge the way the EU don't accept people leaving their club.

If it does go to a second referendum then the UK will be more divided than ever and create political unrest. Having not enacted upon the first result then acting on the second, if it were to remain itwould just about finish UK politics.

I hope you are wrong but I would not bet on it.

The fact that we have had a remainer negotiating our withdrawal from the EU can hardly have gone unnoticed by even the most least politically aware members of the public.

It's been a suspicion from day one that her heart has not been in it and after two and a half years her shilly shallying around has angered many Brexiteers and their families who'll be more determined to vote leave yet again than ever they were in 2016.

It's time she handed over the reins to a committed leaver who is willing and eager to act in the interest of the majority of the British public rather than that of their wealthy chums in the world of big business.

Her selection as a PM charged with getting us out of the EU by the Tory party has been an affront to democracy and her Party knows that only too well.

1 minute ago, yogi100 said:

Her selection as a PM charged with getting us out of the EU by the Tory party has been an affront to democracy and her Party knows that only too well.

It was a very smart move by the Tory grandees. They, one by one, ruled themselves out of the leadership race, leaving May as a shoe in. They, as I did, knew that getting an acceptable deal out of the EU was impossible and that it would all end in tears. Thus, they chose a dumbo to be the fall guy for them.

Notice how they all disappeared into the woodwork after the leadership election? The don't want to be associated with Brexit as it would harm their ambitions. AS soon as Brexit is concluded, May will be kicked into the long grass, taking the blame for everything, and the real controllers of the Tory party will emerge from the woodwork to contest the leadership election for real. 

13 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

The fact that we have had a remainer negotiating our withdrawal from the EU can hardly have gone unnoticed by even the most least politically aware members of the public.

It's been a suspicion from day one that her heart has not been in it and after two and a half years her shilly shallying around has angered many Brexiteers and their families who'll be more determined to vote leave yet again than ever they were in 2016.

It's time she handed over the reins to a committed leaver who is willing and eager to act in the interest of the majority of the British public rather than that of their wealthy chums in the world of big business.

right,

even with that knowledge, Tory does nothing to sack her

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Don't have Facebook but certainly went to the school of hard knocks. I prefer beautiful women to muscle cars.

Don't really know what my national flag is. British passport but feel that Thailand is my home. Also, my father was born in Spain, one grandmother German, the other a Welsh gypsy. Choices, choices....

It’s a thing these days if you want to be considered ‘salt of the earth’. Either that or being a Jacob Reece Mogg clone ????

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That has been the plan all along IMHO. No tinfoil hat needed just a bit of common sense and knowledge the way the EU don't accept people leaving their club.

Typical Brexiteer nonsense again, whether it’s an outright lie or just being completely uninformed. “the don’t accept people leaving their club”? Truth is there is no piece of legislation that would enable the EU to do so; in fact, one must be living in lala-land to not seeing what is happening at the moment: a country in a complete mess because of leaving the club (and no one stopping it). 

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Yes, I've been to France several times. Apart from Paris, the dislike of the British is palpable.

AS I've said before, it's better to be inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in. Better to stay and fight than run and hide.

We're British,

Another clown still fighting world war 2, grow up man brexit isnt about fighting at football matches..anyway the last footage i saw those colours were running from a few russian thugs in france.

Once again Brexiters need to look outside the bubble of the British right-wing press and read what others are writing about the UK at the moment. 

All Nationalisms End in Fascism
The Unlearned Lesson of American and British Collapse

https://eand.co/all-nationalisms-end-in-fascism-86bd680fa70d

Please go ahead, my friends, and take a hard look at America and Britain, do you like what you see? What can you learn from the tragic, funny, colossal mistakes of these astonishingly foolish societies?

(Here’s a tiny illustration of the last few days in Britain. First, the entire food industry — all of it, from Britain’s major grocers, to its food association — warned that it wouldn’t be able to…feed the country. It warned of shortages of fresh fruit, vegetables, grains, and so forth

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The French and Italians are commonly referred to as "surrender monkeys". It's not in the British DNA.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

There are also situations where surrendering is the wisest solution.

There are sometimes exceptions :

Image result for british surrender singapore

7 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Eventually the grumpy old gits will die of old age and that will be that.

And then the next generation comes along, and the likelihood is that they will start to question the wisdom of being in the E.u.

As I said, the sore will fester for generations, until we do finally leave,to think otherwise is to live in denial.

A prime example, is the Scots,many of whom are still unhappy that Scotland voted to join with England and Wales, hundreds of years ago,sole on the strength of a vote,taken only by the landed rich. They even disregard the fact that the English and Welsh were never asked.

So I’m assuming that you think the English and Welsh will be equally laid back, if our vote is disrespected.

732923D9-0569-4719-8B41-15B493966CEF.jpeg

5 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

yes i agree , and not only that experts predicting 5 years after uk leaves EU the pound will drop to 29 baht to the pound as uk will have to do alot more exports to make up for leaving EU and to do more exports the pound has to be as low as possible to compete so for us living overseas or on holiday abroad it will be useless and this situation will last for years and years as we have to keep the pound as low as possible so forget retiring abroad in thailand it will be too expensive at 29 baht to pound , your state pension will be useless THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP THE POUND HIGH AND STRONG IS TO STAY IN THE EU , even though i dont agree with immigration if it means my pound is high and i can live abroad that will do for me !!

Would these be the same experts,who predicted that we would have monitory meltdown if we did not join the E.U. And then went on to predict an economic disaster, should the British people in 2016,Democratically vote to leave this so called union.

And let’s not forget that these same experts failed to predict the 2008 economic crash.

So These predictions are nothing more than their own opinions.

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

Corbyn should have supported remain from the get go. I will never forgive him for that. We needed someone to fight our corner. He let the working people down badly.

While it’s true that the majority of Labour M.p’s are for remain, and probably also for Labour members. You will find that the vast majority of Traditional Labour supporters are all for, the U.K. leaving the E.u.

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

While it’s true that the majority of Labour M.p’s are for remain, and probably also for Labour members. You will find that the vast majority of Traditional Labour supporters are all for, the U.K. leaving the E.u.

I'm a traditional Labour supporter, I voted remain. Momentum are the new Labour, a reincarnation of Militant. Not the Labour Party I know.

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

We're British,

I have no problem with the French. At least attempt to converse in the lingua Franca and you'll be welcome. They are very protective of their culture and are rightly against American cultural invasion.

5 hours ago, vogie said:

We had no choice of course and it's a mystery to me that the Germans allowed us to leave. The Americans waiting over two years until Hitler declared war on them before joining in didn't help. I don't think our generals covered themselves with honour (except Slim). We should be grateful to The Few pilots and the pointy heads who protected us in the dark days.

It must have been terrifying for the French. I suspect I would have collaborated. Not sure I would have had the intestinal fortitude to be heroic.

12 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I have no problem with the French. At least attempt to converse in the lingua Franca and you'll be welcome. They are very protective of their culture and are rightly against American cultural invasion.

I went to France with a teacher who taught French to A level. One night, the electricity went off in our chalet, which was owned by a local farmer. Several people had lost their Electricity, some French. They had called him and he came round. My girlfriend asked him for an update. He completely blanked her pretending that he couldn't understand her. Later we noticed that the electricity had been restored to some chalets (presumably the French) but we didn't get ours back until the morning.

3 hours ago, bomber said:

Singapore...even with 50% more men than the enemy.but these colours dont run..supposedly haha

That was not our finest hour. Many of those men went through the horror story of Japanese capture ... I’d bet if they had known what was in front of them they would have fought them to the death. 

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The guy on the horse is American.  ????  The guy in the red coat surrendering is British. 

Surrender_of_Lord_Cornwallis.jpg

We let them win that. Too much trouble and more profitable colonies elsewhere. Tobacco is useless vegetable and potatoes difficult to smoke.

19 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I went to France with a teacher who taught French to A level. One night, the electricity went off in our chalet, which was owned by a local farmer. Several people had lost their Electricity, some French. They had called him and he came round. My girlfriend asked him for an update. He completely blanked her pretending that he couldn't understand her. Later we noticed that the electricity had been restored to some chalets (presumably the French) but we didn't get ours back until the morning.

That's a difficult stunt to pull off. I'm an engineer and would have to think how to isolate just your chalet without you seeing! I assume you gave him a severe kicking and burnt the chalet to the ground?

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

That's a difficult stunt to pull off. I'm an engineer and would have to think how to isolate just your chalet without you seeing! I assume you gave him a severe kicking and burnt the chalet to the ground?

I'm an engineer too. Each chalet had it's own main fuse in a dis board. I would have reset it myself but he locked the room that they were in.

Archived