Up to 15 British ministers may vote to stop UK from leaving EU on March 29: Bloomberg

webfact

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Do you think that Tusk has an ulterior motive for wanting the UK to delay brexit, infact anybody that wants to delay brexit, doesn't want brexit.

The Dutch PM Mark Rutte has a different take on extending art 50.

me? dunno, can't be bothered to think about it, not interesting

just read it and noted it

guess I could say that I don:t see much potential for WIN if the A50 period is prolonged.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

me? dunno, can't be bothered to think about it, not interesting

just read it and noted it

guess I could say that I don:t see much potential for WIN if the A50 period is prolonged.

someone posted on here that sideline/backdoor preparations for a new

referendum is going on,

questions on the ballot:    remain / may-deal

no-deal exit, not an option

if true, that is interesting

27 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

someone posted on here that sideline/backdoor preparations for a new

referendum is going on,

questions on the ballot:    remain / may-deal

no-deal exit, not an option

if true, that is interesting

The EU member states would only sanction an extension to A50 if there was a tangible reason for the extension. They would not allow it simply for further negotiations. 

I also don't think they would allow an extension that takes us past the EU parliamentary elections, so I'd say 2 months max extension. 

There is talk in the msm that May is preparing to ask for an extension. To me that could only be for a 2nd referendum. There wouldn't be enough time for a general election. 

If this is true, and the options on the ballot were remain / May's deal, that would be a travesty. Remain would obviously win out of those two options because May's deal is rubbish as it stands. 

If there was a 2nd referendum it would only be fair to have 3 questions - those above plus no deal. The votes for May's deal and no deal should then be added together (as they both represent the original Leave option), and if that total was greater than Remain there could be a 2nd round between May's deal and no deal.

If the Remain total was greater than both of the leave options added together, then we remain in the EU. But I very much doubt Remain has enough support now. 

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

OK. So before we are dolts, we are already know-nothings and stupid. This is a classic example of the regular abuse typically emitted from low-level remainers. Thankyou.

Those who call others stupid and are incapable of saying why they make that accusation are usually the most stupid people of all. Remainers are the same on all forums when this subject crops up and in the comments sections of all the newspapers. 

And those who constantly brag about their achievements and qualifications rarely have achieved anything nor are they qualified to do anything except continually tell lies and squawk claptrap. When all else fails they resort to insults and abuse.

As young men we knew a local bullsh!tter who bragged about the girls he'd had while all along he was still a virgin. We still meet older versions of those fellows today in places like Pattaya and Phuket.

And now we encounter them on Thai Visa and other forums. Except they no longer brag about women they go on about imaginary degrees and successful careers instead.

The qualities of the braggart are among the most unattractive a man can possess.

5 hours ago, elliss said:

TVF , expat members have an opinion , but it does not count .

If you do not live in UK,  you should not be allowed to vote .

Allow residents of UK , to determine their destiny .

As a resident of the U.K. I have no objection to anyone, where ever in the world they live, voting in a U.K. election, as long as they are a British citizen. This unfortunately would exclude, the many remainers on these threads.????????????????????

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The EU member states would only sanction an extension to A50 if there was a tangible reason for the extension. They would not allow it simply for further negotiations. 

I also don't think they would allow an extension that takes us past the EU parliamentary elections, so I'd say 2 months max extension. 

There is talk in the msm that May is preparing to ask for an extension. To me that could only be for a 2nd referendum. There wouldn't be enough time for a general election. 

If this is true, and the options on the ballot were remain / May's deal, that would be a travesty. Remain would obviously win out of those two options because May's deal is rubbish as it stands. 

If there was a 2nd referendum it would only be fair to have 3 questions - those above plus no deal. The votes for May's deal and no deal should then be added together (as they both represent the original Leave option), and if that total was greater than Remain there could be a 2nd round between May's deal and no deal.

If the Remain total was greater than both of the leave options added together, then we remain in the EU. But I very much doubt Remain has enough support now. 

According to reports it could be that Labour will back May's deal on the basis that it goes back to the people for ratification, so it's May's deal or remain.

That might focus the minds of the ERG group and the DUP. 

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

According to reports it could be that Labour will back May's deal on the basis that it goes back to the people for ratification, so it's May's deal or remain.

And then comes a General Election. When many of the present day M.p’s will loose their seats. Turmoil in British politics for years to come. All because the establishment and their groupies failed to respect the People’s vote.

55 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I've just been reminded that there is no parliamentary majority for a 2nd referendum, so actually it seems unlikely. It's more likely that Corbyn sees this as a 'free hit', where he can say at least he tried. 

May's deal or remain would not a be fair 2nd referendum. The majority voted to leave the EU in 2016, so a proper leave option also needs to be on the table alongside May's BINO deal. 

If you're confident that more people want to remain in the EU now, you shouldn't be concerned about both Leave options being on the ballot. 

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Many were enslaved, treated worse than soi dogs, and never made it home, and many of those that made it home bore the psychological damage. Would have been better to fight them to the death. No shame in that.

I never put you down as a fighting man. Well what you describe is the Japanese "bushido" fighting to the death in honour. Personally I feel the 'tactical surrender' was the better option.

I will put you down for the next dads army now I know there is a fight in you.

4 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Those who call others stupid and are incapable of saying why they make that accusation are usually the most stupid people of all. Remainers are the same on all forums when this subject crops up and in the comments sections of all the newspapers. 

And those who constantly brag about their achievements and qualifications rarely have achieved anything nor are they qualified to do anything except continually tell lies and squawk claptrap. When all else fails they resort to insults and abuse.

As young men we knew a local bullsh!tter who bragged about the girls he'd had while all along he was still a virgin. We still meet older versions of those fellows today in places like Pattaya and Phuket.

And now we encounter them on Thai Visa and other forums. Except they no longer brag about women they go on about imaginary degrees and successful careers instead.

The qualities of the braggart are among the most unattractive a man can possess.

Virgin on the ridiculous.

9 hours ago, vogie said:

Is anybody else sick of seeing this, my question goes to remainers as well as leavers.

I can only guestimate about 14 appearences up to this time.

Some on here would be saying if it was an EU flag that he was wearing, he was a progressive. Because it is a Union Jack he is xenophobic and far right activist. Smacks off hypocrisy.

28 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I've just been reminded that there is no parliamentary majority for a 2nd referendum, so actually it seems unlikely. It's more likely that Corbyn sees this as a 'free hit', where he can say at least he tried. 

May's deal or remain would not a be fair 2nd referendum. The majority voted to leave the EU in 2016, so a proper leave option also needs to be on the table alongside May's BINO deal. 

If you're confident that more people want to remain in the EU now, you shouldn't be concerned about both Leave options being on the ballot. 

Positions alter. If no actual deal can be agreed by Parliament then the ballot might be "stay vs no deal". It has been suggested by some that Brexiteers might be inclined to take what's on the table to secure Brexit and work from there. Since there are 3 rough positions: Stay/Soft Brexit/Hard Brexit, the situation might be summed up by the showdown scene in the movie The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

Just now, SheungWan said:

Positions alter. If no actual deal can be agreed by Parliament then the ballot might be "stay vs no deal". It has been suggested by some that Brexiteers might be inclined to take what's on the table to secure Brexit and work from there. Since there are 3 rough positions: Stay/Soft Brexit/Hard Brexit, the situation might be summed up by the showdown scene in the movie The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

No, the stay/leave question has already been asked and answered 

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, the stay/leave question has already been asked and answered 

The situation will have moved on to Stay Vs No Deal, assuming that May cannot secure an agreement through Parliament, which she still might. Corbyn wants to disrupt that, ie a Soft Brexit with the offer of another referendum. 

4 minutes ago, tebee said:

The new ballot is going to be stay vs May's deal apparently 

Of course it is. Always was going to be. Stay in the EU or stay in the EU. You don't have to be a genius to work that out.  Well lets hope it doesn't get through and there is a complete political storm because of this.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Of course it is. Always was going to be. Stay in the EU or stay in the EU. You don't have to be a genius to work that out.  Well lets hope it doesn't get through and there is a complete political storm because of this.

Keep your knickers on. No 'of course'.......

Just now, SheungWan said:

Cannot be IMHO, if May's 'new' deal is voted down in Parliament.

Apparently Labour is now going to support may's deal - I'm not sure how they square this up with their previous opposition to it 

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

Apparently Labour is now going to support may's deal - I'm not sure how they square this up with their previous opposition to it 

If this is so then Soft Brexit here we come. What has changed? Well the little matter of a Breakaway for starters and the knowledge that what is left (sic) on the table is either May's deal or Hard Brexit. Delay is a risky rabbit's hole to go down.

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

If this is so then Soft Brexit here we come. What has changed? Well the little matter of a Breakaway for starters and the knowledge that what is left (sic) on the table is either May's deal or Hard Brexit. Delay is a risky rabbit's hole to go down.

Yes, but May's deal is so crappy neither side likes it - it's the worst of both worlds 

Maybe Brexit is dying it's natural death?

9 hours ago, bomber said:

no one needs to be an expert to predict what brexit will bring and 2008 has nothing to do with brexit.

Just like Versailles had nothing to do with WW2?

In fact the austerity measures introduced to pay for the banker's folly set up the country for the first available demagogue.

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

YouGov reckons Remain now 9% ahead and rising. ????

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I never put you down as a fighting man. Well what you describe is the Japanese "bushido" fighting to the death in honour. Personally I feel the 'tactical surrender' was the better option.

I will put you down for the next dads army now I know there is a fight in you.

Off topic but my understanding was they left it too late to get the women and kids off to Australia. Plus our tactics to stop the Japanese moving down Malaya were piss poor and made worse because of inadequate air power due to demands from other theatres.

Archived