Hi, how hard is to open paypal in thailand?

My experience was some time ago but there were no real issues. I also had existing personal and business accounts.

You will need to link to a local bank account and use a different email address to your existing PayPal account.

As I noted it was a while back. At the time I did not have a local CC but PP verified against my Bangkok Bank account (small transaction). IIRC the hardest bit was finding the message they sent with the payment in order to confirm receipt.

I do still have all my accounts, but since I stopped trading on ebay they get little use particularly now that as a buyer you don't even need a PP account to pay by CC.

Of course things may have changed on the security front. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will be along shortly.

29 minutes ago, parafareno said:

I have heard it is illegal to have more than 2 paypal acc

It cannot be illegal, but it is against the PP terms of service which state 1 personal and 1 business account.

Evidently little checking went on when I did it, but since you currently have only one account is should be no issue.

I would send pp a email and ask what documents they need to verify your account first before sending money.  You may not have the correct supporting documents here i.e utility bill with your name etc.  It will save headaches with reversals etc.

19 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I opened one very easily last year, though I wished I hadnt bothered in the end. For transferring money from abroad they are useless as the fees are massive.

i dont get it why fees were high....if you transfer from paypal to paypal it is free....also withdrawal to thai bank is free...

3 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i dont get it why fees were high....if you transfer from paypal to paypal it is free....also withdrawal to thai bank is free...

I opened my Thai PayPal account because I thought it might be useful for something I wanted to do here, though in the end I found a better and simpler way of doing it.

PayPal may say that transfers are "free", but they certainly are not as forex spreads take a big chunk. The amount that I sent was tiny and I only did it as a test, so it wasnt a problem.

12 hours ago, parafareno said:

I've just checked your free transfers with PayPal loose you almost  9,000 Baht today 

To transfer £5,000 to Thailand 

using TransferWise you get 202,475

using Paypal 193,467

On 2/21/2019 at 6:45 AM, parafareno said:

cause I have heard it is illegal to have more than 2 paypal acc......maybe you were lucky?

No. I called PP in Ireland and they recommended opening a 2nd account with another email address.

TransferWise doesn't do xfers out of Thailand. But RIA Financial does, for a fee and with a worse exchange rate.

For 42,000 THB, RIA's fee exceeds that of KTB (1,743 vs 1,600) with KTB's exchange rate being great. SCB has been causing problems and they simply won't do it for me, a new customer. The fee will be 1,750 THB and they keep reiterating nonsense about it taking "7 days".

Archived