U.S. arrests Coast Guard officer who planned mass attack: prosecutors

webfact

U.S. arrests Coast Guard officer who planned mass attack: prosecutors

2019-02-21T000227Z_1_LYNXNPEF1K000_RTROPTP_3_USA-MARYLAND-ARREST.JPG

A locked case containing bottles of Tramodol uncovered by U.S. federal investigators in the home of U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant Christopher Paul Hasson in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S., is shown in the photo provided February 20, 2019. U.S. Attorney's Office Maryland/Handout via REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. authorities have arrested a U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant who described himself as a white nationalist and amassed a cache of weapons to "murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country," according to court documents.

Christopher Paul Hasson, who is assigned to the Coast Guard Headquarters in Washington and lives in a Maryland suburb, had drawn up a list of possible targets, including House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and MSNBC television host Joe Scarborough, prosecutors said in court documents.

Calling Hasson a "domestic terrorist," the prosecutors said he was arrested on Friday on weapons and drugs charges.

In a draft email in June 2017, they said, Hasson wrote: "I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on the earth. I think a plague would be most successful but how do I acquire the needed/ Spanish flu, botulism, anthrax not sure yet but will find something."

A hearing on a motion to detain him pending trial was set for Thursday.

In a statement, the Coast Guard confirmed that an active duty member of the service had been arrested. "Because this is an open investigation, the Coast Guard has no further details at this time," it said.

The Office of the Federal Public Defender in Maryland did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The prosecutors said agents found 15 firearms and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition in Hasson's residence in Silver Spring, Maryland.

They said from 2017, Hasson routinely studied a manifesto by Norwegian far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who in July 2011 killed eight people in downtown Oslo with a car bomb and then shot dead 69 people, many of them teenagers, at a Labour Party camp.

(Reporting by Mohammad Zargham and Eric Beech; Editing by Lisa Shumaker and Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-21

Another racist nut job doesent matter what flavor the nut job is glad they got the sob before he acted and you can bet your pay check the current acrimonious speech being bandied about makes thease nut jobs more likely to act

And I was accused of racism, and race baiting when I recently posted something about how dangerous many white American men were. Hah. I am a white man, and I can say whatever I think about white people, right? Some are really bad apples. Conservatives do not like to discuss this issue, as it is very popular to demonize "outsiders", immigrants, and those that are brown. But, this and so many other mass shootings, show that there are a lot of deranged white men, who are citizens in America. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

And I was accused of racism, and race baiting when I recently posted something about how dangerous many white American men were. Hah. I am a white man, and I can say whatever I think about white people, right? Some are really bad apples. Conservatives do not like to discuss this issue, as it is very popular to demonize "outsiders", immigrants, and those that are brown. But, this and so many other mass shootings, show that there are a lot of deranged white men, who are citizens in America. 

Damn..............brown!!!

and all this time I thought that was another way of saying sunburnt Irishman. :cheesy:

2 minutes ago, car720 said:

Damn..............brown!!!

and all this time I thought that was another way of saying sunburnt Irishman. :cheesy:

No. It is another way of saying anyone other than white American citizens, Canadians, Europeans, Australians and Kiwis.

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Good points.  This guy is a real nutbag and I suspect there are many like him....armed to the teeth.  In fact, some of these Trump supporters on TV have espoused views similar to this guy....

[“Liberalist/globalist ideology is destroying traditional peoples esp white. No way to counteract without violence. It should push for more crack down bringing more people to our side. Much blood will have to be spilled to get whitey off the couch,” the filing quoted Hasson writing.]

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coast-guard-officer-accused-of-racist-mass-murder-plot-kept-hit-list-of-democrats-and-msnbc-hosts?ref=wrap

from

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/self-proclaimed-white-nationalist-planned-mass-terror-attack-government-says-i-am-dreaming-of-a-way-to-kill-almost-every-last-person-on-earth/2019/02/20/61daf6b8-3544-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.44be967a80e2

‘I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on earth’: A self-proclaimed white nationalist planned a mass terrorist attack, the government says

Well, that's one way to make America great again, and it is a pretty non-partisan sentiment.  So maybe that almost every last person on earth exception is Marcia Brady, who he's had a crush on since the 1970s?

Seriously though, he sounds like a nut who is attracted to a the nut he sees running his country.

22 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

This must be the thread were rabid liberals hang everything thats done on Trump and Republicans and white people in general while in other threads cry and defend any other skin color or religion like  "Not all _____ are bad!!!!" 

Nope!

This is one of those threads, where liberals point out, that the greatest number of hate- crimes, terrorist acts, gun murders etc etc etc...are still done by WHITE people, born in "the greatest Nation on Earth" and that this would be a REAL emergency to address and fight!

Not some trumped up (pun fully intended!) numbers about crimes, done by immigrants, Muslims, Mexicans, Black folk...you name it!

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This makes you feel vindicated? If it makes you feel good roll with it.

21 hours ago, Tug said:

Another racist nut job doesent matter what flavor the nut job is glad they got the sob before he acted and you can bet your pay check the current acrimonious speech being bandied about makes thease nut jobs more likely to act

Authorities are notoriously unreliable.  One of the posters on this thread cites SNOPES, which has been outed as being biased and having an agenda, to the extent that they have planted entirely fake stories and then 'reveled them to be fake'.  Do your own research.  Make up your own mind.

Your best authority should be yourself.  The 'incriminating evidence' was a case of glass vials containing a white powder.  The label said TRAMADOL apparently.  Go look it up.  It is a mild narcotic (between Aspirin and Hydrocodone) given to people in pain.  Think toenail removal, post-operative painkillers following a minor joint repair (stitches in a torn ligament or similar). 

What, this guy was going on a 'Mass Feel-Good Spree'?  "Dozens of People Feel No Pain For Four Hours.  Society Collapses!"  I think not.

My bet is that this guy was on his way to retirement and was offered a deal by some spin doctors to boost his retirement pay, so he went for it.  Anything to get you folks riled up is worth it to them.  He will probably be quietly exonerated when this is all over, with an unpublished commendation and attendant promotion to Lt. Commander.  For all we know, he is an intelligence officer.  Get a grip folks.

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There’s one in the White House 

53 minutes ago, WyrldTraveler said:

Authorities are notoriously unreliable.  One of the posters on this thread cites SNOPES, which has been outed as being biased and having an agenda, to the extent that they have planted entirely fake stories and then 'reveled them to be fake'.  Do your own research.  Make up your own mind.

Your best authority should be yourself.  The 'incriminating evidence' was a case of glass vials containing a white powder.  The label said TRAMADOL apparently.  Go look it up.  It is a mild narcotic (between Aspirin and Hydrocodone) given to people in pain.  Think toenail removal, post-operative painkillers following a minor joint repair (stitches in a torn ligament or similar). 

What, this guy was going on a 'Mass Feel-Good Spree'?  "Dozens of People Feel No Pain For Four Hours.  Society Collapses!"  I think not.

My bet is that this guy was on his way to retirement and was offered a deal by some spin doctors to boost his retirement pay, so he went for it.  Anything to get you folks riled up is worth it to them.  He will probably be quietly exonerated when this is all over, with an unpublished commendation and attendant promotion to Lt. Commander.  For all we know, he is an intelligence officer.  Get a grip folks.

Yes, agree with your last line. Get a grip.

2 hours ago, WyrldTraveler said:

There have been many instances where mass shootings were carried out and after all the dead people were counted, the second-guessing comes.  "Why didn't the police/authorities/somebody?? do something to stop it!"  Well here's a case where law enforcement did do something.  They saved countless lives.  They should be commended.  Yet, some still complain. 

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

" And I was accused of racism, and race baiting when I recently posted something about how dangerous many white American men were".

Wasn't that your intent though? 

You like, toootally tricked them with your amaaazing Jedi mind control.  :blink:

6 hours ago, WyrldTraveler said:

One of the posters on this thread cites SNOPES, which has been outed as being biased and having an agenda, to the extent that they have planted entirely fake stories and then 'reveled them to be fake'. 

That's not the case according to anything I've read. Factcheck.org did a comprehensive analysis of Snopes' stories and "found them to be free from bias in all cases." About.com's urban legends researcher found a "consistent effort to provide even-handed analyses" and that "Snopes' cited sources and numerous reputable analyses of its content confirm its accuracy."

The only trace I could find of an alleged fake story involving Snopes was where a chain email was once circulating, calling the Snopes founders' political affiliations into question, trashing their methodology and saying they had fabricated a tale about a State Farm Insurance agent who had opposed the election of President Obama.

However, by contacting State Farm directly, FactCheck.org was able to confirm that the insurance giant had indeed asked agent Bud Gregg to stop using its brand name as his political soapbox. The article on the link below also debunks the other claims about Snopes being biased and their articles poorly-researched.

FactCheck of email criticising Snopes

Archived