Woman who joined Islamic State cannot return to U.S., Pompeo says

webfact

Woman who joined Islamic State cannot return to U.S., Pompeo says

2019-02-21T002917Z_1_LYNXNPEF1K00P_RTROPTP_4_USA-POMPEO-POLAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks at a news conference at Lazienki Palace in Warsaw, Poland February 12, 2019. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel

(Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday a woman born in the United States who joined the Islamic State militant group did not qualify for U.S. citizenship and had no legal basis to return to the country.

Hoda Muthana, 24, travelled to Syria over four years ago to join Islamic State, also known as ISIS. She married a succession of Islamic State fighters and went on Twitter to encourage attacks on the West.

In media interviews this week from a detention camp in Syria, Muthana said she was sorry for her actions and wanted to return to her family in Alabama with her toddler son.

Pompeo said Muthana was not a U.S. citizen and would not be admitted into the United States.

"She does not have any legal basis, no valid U.S. passport, no right to a passport, nor any visa to travel to the United States," Pompeo said in a statement.

President Donald Trump said on Twitter he had directed Pompeo "not to allow Hoda Muthana back into the Country!"

Pompeo’s statement did not explain why the State Department did not consider Muthana a U.S. citizen.

The action followed Britain's move to revoke the citizenship of a teenager after she joined Islamic State, citing security concerns.

14TH AMENDMENT

The U.S. Department of State did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but U.S. officials appeared to be basing their position on an exception in the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which grants citizenship to “all persons born or naturalized in the United States.”

Muthana’s father was a Yemeni diplomat, working in the United States. Children born in the United States to accredited diplomats, under the 14th Amendment, do not acquire citizenship since they are not "born ... subject to the jurisdiction of the United States," according to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Hassan Shibly, a representative for the Muthana family and a staff member of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, tweeted that she was born in Hackensack, New Jersey, in October 1994, months after her father informed the U.S. government he was no longer a diplomat.

Charles Swift, director of the Constitutional Law Centre for Muslims in America, said her father's revocation of his diplomatic status meant Hoda Muthana was a U.S. citizen. Swift said he planned to file a lawsuit over her case.

(Reporting by Andrew Hay in New Mexico; Editing by Bill Tarrant and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-21

Awesome to see countries taking a uniform stance against this. My home country of NZ would welcome so.eone similar back with open arms and they'd probably be a member of parliament for the lefties within a few years of returning.

Some sort of odd contradiction going on here. Just a few days ago I read about Trump telling the European countries from which hundreds of ISIS fighters had originated (France, Holland, Belgium, Britain, Germany) that they must take these people back and not leave them running around to cause more havoc. There was some sense in the idea, suggesting I think they be sentenced and imprisoned in their country of origin rather than go on to fight again somewhere else. Now they suggest they wont take a recruit back. Legally it all gets rather confusing, and it seems Trumps administration isn't sure either.

23 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

2 years of this presidency and this is the ONLY thing I agree with. Feeding camels for the rest of her life; LOVE IT!

Policy decisions should not be made on popular demand.

In this case also against international law, most likely US law, and against policy announced a few days ago by Trump himself.

5 hours ago, SamT said:

Awesome to see countries taking a uniform stance against this. My home country of NZ would welcome so.eone similar back with open arms and they'd probably be a member of parliament for the lefties within a few years of returning.

Funny how we are called far right wing (even though most of us have foreign wives) just as we do  not want people like this living in our country ! 

5 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Some sort of odd contradiction going on here. Just a few days ago I read about Trump telling the European countries from which hundreds of ISIS fighters had originated (France, Holland, Belgium, Britain, Germany) that they must take these people back and not leave them running around to cause more havoc. There was some sense in the idea, suggesting I think they be sentenced and imprisoned in their country of origin rather than go on to fight again somewhere else. Now they suggest they wont take a recruit back. Legally it all gets rather confusing, and it seems Trumps administration isn't sure either.

It seems that officials in this administration don't talk to each other or are even aware of what any of them say.... may confirm reports of chaos in administration.

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

2 years of this presidency and this is the ONLY thing I agree with. Feeding camels for the rest of her life; LOVE IT!

Hoda Muthana's case occurs at the same time as Trump urges Europeans to take back their hundreds of nationals held by the Arab-Kurdish alliance of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) after joining ISIS, in order to bring them back home to trial….

Hoda Muthana, according to the organization Counter Extremism Project, actively participated in the jihadist propaganda under the pseudonym "Oum Jihad". She notably called for "to shed the American blood" and congratulated the perpetrators of the 2015 attack on Charlie Hebdo, which killed 12 people. "I take my hat to the moudj of Paris," she tweeted on her account today suspended.
She wants to return to the United States and has given interviews to several Western newspapers in which she says she deeply regrets her actions.

Good to see the USA taking the same stance as we Brits.

Usually the do-gooders get their way and everyone gets back in because their "Human Rights" are being infringed.   Well these people are NOT HUMAN they are sub-human and should be left to rot in Syria.

PS. Anyone notice that the picture of Pomero makes him look like a Tele-tubby with an ariel coming out of his head!!!

36 minutes ago, Emdog said:

It seems that officials in this administration don't talk to each other or are even aware of what any of them say.... may confirm reports of chaos in administration.

But both statements came from Trump. It was Trump telling other countries to take the ISIS fighters back and it was Trump directing Pompeo to not allow this one back into the US. It’s more a case of Trumps left brain not being in touch with his right, or Trumps brain not working in conjunction with his Twitter knuckles. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

President Donald Trump said on Twitter he had directed Pompeo "not to allow Hoda Muthana back into the Country!"

but...

President Trump recently told the UK and other European countries to take back and put on trial Islamic State (IS) fighters captured in the final battle against the group.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47313657

Double standards again.

11 minutes ago, Roadman said:

But both statements came from Trump. It was Trump telling other countries to take the ISIS fighters back and it was Trump directing Pompeo to not allow this one back into the US. It’s more a case of Trumps left brain not being in touch with his right, or Trumps brain not working in conjunction with his Twitter knuckles. 

Sorry, I don't see the contraddiction (and I would rarely agree with Trump).

The point is whether the 100's of "foreign fighters" are still citizens of their countries of origin, or not. If they are, it makes sense that they are returned there, and tried for what they did.

If Muthana is not a US citizen (anymore, at least, or so Pompeo implies), then why should she be allowed back.

A country has a right, I think, to strip a person of their nationality under extreme circumstances. This seems a justified case, and one might hope that perhaps the european governments follow suit.

7 hours ago, SamT said:

Yet only last week trump was telling European countries to take their citizens back...

24 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Sorry, I don't see the contraddiction (and I would rarely agree with Trump).

The point is whether the 100's of "foreign fighters" are still citizens of their countries of origin, or not. If they are, it makes sense that they are returned there, and tried for what they did.

If Muthana is not a US citizen (anymore, at least, or so Pompeo implies), then why should she be allowed back.

A country has a right, I think, to strip a person of their nationality under extreme circumstances. This seems a justified case, and one might hope that perhaps the european governments follow suit.

That is not the point. The point is that you don't want them running around causing havoc, which is exactly what will happen.

24 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

They should be tried in the countries where they committed their horrible crimes, not in the nanny states.

image.png.43d715e43f34ad60a52b0e67f4c9722b.png

When she was born in the US her father was a diplomate in the US at the time. So she is not a US citizen, diplomates children are not granted citizenship even if born in the US. That is why the State Department said she has no right to return to the US.

8 minutes ago, allen303 said:

When she was born in the US her father was a diplomate in the US at the time. So she is not a US citizen, diplomates children are not granted citizenship even if born in the US. That is why the State Department said she has no right to return to the US.

From the OP:

[Hassan Shibly, a representative for the Muthana family and a staff member of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, tweeted that she was born in Hackensack, New Jersey, in October 1994, months after her father informed the U.S. government he was no longer a diplomat.]

Months after her father informed the US he was no longer a diplomat!! If I was in her place I would be telling something like that to. I guess they will sue and let it drag out in court for a few years. Till then I would suggest find a 4th husband and hope he last a little longer then the first 3. If in the end and she does come back let her spend the better part of her life in a maximum prison. As for US citizenship, if some way she can prove her father did (papers, new visa instead of diplomatic visa) I guess we will see. Should be interesting.  

Trump-bitch! I see that TDS kicking in. Take your meds.

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yet only last week trump was telling European countries to take their citizens back...

But she isnt a USA citizen , or thats what the USA thinks .

Can you not see the difference between the two ?

*Taking your citizens back" and "Not taking back people who are not citizens*

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The reason he said 'take your citizens back' is that nobody wants them creating havoc. What will happen if she is not allowed in to the US?

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The reason he said 'take your citizens back' is that nobody wants them creating havoc. What will happen if she is not allowed in to the US?

The civil rights lawyer's will be filing a suit! She probably will be let back in according to a  Federal judges declaration ,until her court case is heard! She will be under surveillance all her life. Sounds like her freedom would be well served outside the USA!

22 minutes ago, sanemax said:

She has a USA passport, often flaunted it during her propaganda broadcasts. 

See how that that makes her a citizen...see how the two cases are the same?

Archived