Finnish boy, 5, savaged on Ao Nang beach by pack of wild dogs - rabies feared

webfact

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love dogs and I say KILL THEM ALL!

This isn't rocket science. You have a rabies epidemic and a stray dog problem.

Mexico figured it out decades ago.

They put a notice in the newspaper with the date of the weekend to keep your dog inside, if you own one. Then they put out poisoned meat, the following day come through with pitchforks and load up the carcasses.

Easy peasy. All dogs get claimed or die. Rabies rates plummet. Streets become safer.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

This is really terrible and first up, I hope the young lad recovers fully and quickly.

Stray dogs are a serious problem nationwide, and it is well overdue for the authorities to really address the situation permanently, before we have more stories of injured and dead children. And not just in areas where it is likely to affect tourism.

Agreed. Even the Thais realize its a problem. I was going to cut through an alley the other day and an old geezer stopped me and pointed to the dogs lazing in the sun by a shopfront and let me know they were dangerous.

Here, a milestone for you, my main complaint about Thailand is the dogs. Im a walker so I have to not only worry about traffic but the dogs too. Cant stand them. One of those suckers coming out from under something and just tearing at your leg would suck. At least the heat keeps them quiet during the day.

Photos were taken at the scene and enroute to  treatment and at point of treatment. I hope that the  photos are released. It will put the event in perspective. The recitation of facts is not exactly accurate and has been adjusted to fit an agenda. The beach in question has never been reported as having roaming savage dog packs, or a rabies issue. I defy anyone to show one report. The administrator had previously cleared the beach.  He did his job. The reason for his statement is because some idiots are blaming him for the issue. Read some of the comments above and you will see that the farang blame game has started.

Read the local administrator's statement again. He says he has tried to address the issue previously, But still people kept leaving their dogs at the beach. I believe him.  This is the issue.   As long as irresponsible jerks abandon their dogs, the animals will quickly repopulate. The only way to keep feral dog populations controlled is through maintaining a healthy spayed/neutered vaccinated population which chases off other dogs. 

I don't expect some of the more intellectually limited or poorly educated angry people demanding a cull of all dogs, to grasp the  issue. However, the fundamentals of population biology are established and unchallenged. Screaming and demanding an ill conceived response will not solve the issue.  Go after the  people abandoning the dogs. Go after the puppy mills. Go after those who refuse to spay, neuter and vaccinate.  If you don't, the problem will continue.

I also caution those who say they kill animals on their own At some point you will be observed and you will suffer a public backlash, and most likely violence. Report the issue to the authorities and they will respond. Note the license plate numbers of people  tossing animals and report them. Be part of the long term solution.

8 minutes ago, Creasy said:

If Thailand wasn't a banana republic, the dog owners by law would need to register their dogs and make them wear a tag and collar.

Any dog caught on the street without a rego tag gets euthanised .

LOL  Do you know what the compliance rate for pet owners is in big western cities? Try sub 30% in a good year.  The one city where compliance works is Calgary, Canada. It has an estimated licensing and vaccination compliance rate of 90%  on dogs and 55% on cats. It must be doing something right. The city presents a problem worse than  Thailand in respect to environment because of the large rural zones around the city and the high quality  parks and nature reserves. 

44 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I have taken to wearing a dashcam while exercising due of the feral menace. The sort that feed these pests are the sort that deny ownership when they cause accident or injury yet bleat when Mutley finds out what the stick is for! The footage serves the same purpose as the pair in my car...

Yes a nice pic of the dog helps the healing, a 9 Mill Glock stops the bite.

35 minutes ago, Creasy said:

If Thailand wasn't a banana republic, the dog owners by law would need to register their dogs and make them wear a tag and collar.

There, corrected it for you.

17 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Yes a nice pic of the dog helps the healing, a 9 Mill Glock stops the bite.

For years, I only carried a "dog gun" (.32). Dog guns date back to the invention of bicycles.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

I agree! Start with that today please General...shoot all them pesky soidogs in tourist area's or don't expect anymore tourists...and also install teams of lifeguards at the popular beaches.

They should be shot nationwide!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Krabi is known to be an area where rabies is rampant.

Apart from wishing a speedy recovery for the 5 year old, there shouldn't be much more to say.

Assuming the above statement is correct, that rabies is rampant, and it is not a spectacular statement by ThaiVisa news, why is the situation as it is with any stray dogs visible?

To me it is as if the Thai authorities are deliberately waiting for someone to die from these sort of attacks before any significant action is taken. Sickening.

And without trying to criticize any parents, IMO the reason why so many children are open to attack is:

1. Because of their size, presenting an opportunity.  

2. The kids naturally showing fear. This is a dangerous state to be in with any dogs, but so much more so with a semi-feral pack of dogs.

Parents should not let their children wander off alone. And I must reiterate, I'm not blaming any parent, just suggesting that they stay with their kids when they see dog packs about. 

4 hours ago, briansbiology said:

Kill the stray dogs. sTop avoiding the crisis that is growing populations of feral dogs. My son was attacked by a dog in our soi. I killed it myself as nobody would deal with it. all the bleeding heaqrts must face the facst that there is not a 'forever home' for every dog and that in this environment they become quite savage. its sad. I am a dog lover but like people some dogs are past helping and the emotional do-gooders who fantasize that there is a loving solution are simply an obstacle to removing a very real danger. 

Agreed.  Time for target practice.

Poor boy, it's about time the authorities get these stray dogs off the bleeding streets. 
I take no mercy when stray dogs approach me with aggression. if i feel they are going to attack, they will be getting a very stiff kick to the chest before they can get to me. 

Many towns in Thailand practice culling, of the soi dogs. It is the responsible thing to do. Nobody takes care of these mutts, and some deluded souls think there is Buddhavistic merit in feeding them, hence they survive, due to ignorance and foolishness. Take them all out. They bite, terrorize, scare and are up to no good. They are not wanted, they are not needed, and they are troublesome. Cull them, until there are none left to cull. 

1 minute ago, michael888 said:

This is a problem EVERYWHERE in Thailand, and SE Asia for that matter.  Spay and nueter.  There are so many wild dogs here it is ridiculous.  Its irresponsible for a society to let animals reproduce haphazardly creating this problem.  Idiocy.

in the south it's a trend man... some time ago it was the singing birds, after that the cats, after the cats they had the dogs and now it's the rosters... once they are tired o anything they just abandon it

It isn't always strays, although it was this time. Owners leave their dogs unleashed to wander around sois and neighborhoods. Then they form packs and bad things happen. Too many people are just too stupid. The district chief is probably right in that these strays were dogs dumped by their owners.

Archived