Terminal 21: Handicapped woman's disability trike removed to make way for Ford Mustang

webfact

Terminal 21: Handicapped woman's disability trike removed to make way for Ford Mustang

3bpm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Security guards at Pattaya's Terminal 21 shopping center removed a handicapped woman's motorcycle and sidecar from a disabled person's parking spot. 

It was then dumped in the middle of the road at the fancy shopping center. 

Meanwhile a multi-million baht sky blue Ford Mustang - with two able bodied people - parked in the spot instead. 

The handicapped lady - Kamonwan Kraratpetch who uses a wheelchair - watched this happening from a restaurant where her and a friend were having lunch.

52358949_2351983618168292_5726763470972518400_n.jpg

Picture: Ruk Siam News

She had arrived with her friend and even asked security if it was OK to park there. They confirmed that it was. 

The computer science student said she was not in time to film the actual moving of her bike. But she went on Facebook to ask what netizens thought saying facetiously of the well-heeled able bodied couple seen taking her spot: 

"Do you want to be disabled like me?"

A video on Sanook that had been posted online showed the couple walking somewhat sheepishly away from their fancy and expensive Mustang. 

Terminal 21 were forced to issue a grovelling apology in which they blamed the security personnel who they said had been warned about their future conduct and are better trained now in what to do.

They admitted that their own security had removed the disabled lady's bike and allowed it to be replaced with the Mustang. 

They promised that it would not happen again. 

Source: Sanook | Ruk Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-21

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So management at Terminal 21blamed security and warned them about future conduct............. Absolute BS.

This shows the typical attitude towards disabled people.... We dont care you are a second class citizen, you got money we help, if not p++s off, disgusting cretins.

Shameful across the board. Firstly the security for not only moving a genuinely disabled persons vehicle from a handicapped parking bay, and then to the miserable sods in the mustang, who used a disabled space to park. While I am pleased to hear that the security staff got bawled out for their poor behaviour, chances are high the guy with the mustang will continue to just park wherever he pleases. Some people are just scum, thinking that a few quid makes them above the socially acceptable norm.

Mods, I realize that this thread is not about any other country, but I wanted to show how seriously this infraction is taken in Canada.

"Able-bodied drivers in Ontario, Canada who steal parking spots reserved for the disabled would be fined up to $5,000 under legislation".

By gosh, this level of fine creates great respect for those special spaces (= to B120,000)

I wonder just how much training 'if any' the car park security staff have received, if any (and not only at this venue).

It seems to me that if a person gets insistent then most security guards will, out of fear of job loss, take the action they did here, and please the pushy customer.

Another possibility of course is that the car owner coughed up 100Baht with an instruction to move the bike.

And just wondering if the venue management have instructed security, and other staff, to make sure folks in expensive cars etc., are well taken care of. 

51 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Shameful across the board. Firstly the security for not only moving a genuinely disabled persons vehicle from a handicapped parking bay, and then to the miserable sods in the mustang, who used a disabled space to park. While I am pleased to hear that the security staff got bawled out for their poor behaviour, chances are high the guy with the mustang will continue to just park wherever he pleases. Some people are just scum, thinking that a few quid makes them above the socially acceptable norm.

Spot on darksidedog , I was about to write exactly the same !

1 hour ago, missoura said:

Thailand is beginning to address the problem along with educating the public. 

7 11 sign.JPG

It is a slow process...

mc 7 11 parking.JPG

Chain them up.

Security unlocks when they pay a fine.

Or the police are called. 

Hip pocket nerve is the best deterrent. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

They promised that it would not happen again. 

I wouldn't bet on it. Any Hi-So here gets grovelled to, allowed to park wherever they like, all others swept like doggy-do to the side. Disabled parking in name only, preferred parking more applicable.

27 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Chain them up.

Security unlocks when they pay a fine.

Or the police are called. 

Your in Thailand! "security" = unemployed Isaan farmer, Police! you expect them to do police work - not going to happen :shock1:

14 minutes ago, Creasy said:

3rd world banana republic mentality 

Yep - it is a third world country & its not going to change any time in the future! 

Applying western standards here is a complete waste of time! ????

15 hours ago, CGW said:

Your in Thailand! "security" = unemployed Isaan farmer, Police! you expect them to do police work - not going to happen :shock1:

Yep - it is a third world country & its not going to change any time in the future! 

Applying western standards here is a complete waste of time! ????

The Land of Kate Prices and Isis suportes, ah well.!.:partytime2:

1 hour ago, Kim J said:

Such places as T21 will just be providing lip service at a time of bad publicity. Ultimately they will view the Mustang driver to be a far better financial prospect than a disabled student on a motorbike. So do not be surprised to see such behaviour continue unnoticed and unreported, of course until the next time one of these places is shamed into uttering a few words of fake outrage in public.

In Thailand, It is what it is. Management place the blame on the lower staff wink,, wink,,  The mustang couple should be really ashamed of themselves. May karma bite them on the arse. It all comes down to parenting. All my years of visiting malls, I never park at the handicapped space. It is just proper etiquette .though I did see lots being taken up by other motorists. 

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

That disabled parking spot is quite a long way from the entrance and there are raised kerbs to be negotiated too.

I wonder whether the planners ever consult with disabled people about their needs.

Most probably just paying lip service to be politically correct. That’s all. Disabled people shopping probably exerted little influence in their business plan. More like an irritating bug that needs attention. Doesn’t see many ultruistic actions in the corporate world here. Buddhist believed in karma so maybe the handicapped person is viewed as being a flawed person from previous life which translates into ‘you reap what you sow’ concept. This attitude differs from the western concept of being ultruistic towards physically challenged people. ????

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Disabled parkings in malls are always taken by expensive hiso cars.

This I noticed too. It is really eye opening to see people behaving like that in a Buddhist country. Compassion and being humble figure little in those hiso lives. Don’t place your bets that this place will change for the better . They are spiritually ugly. 

1 minute ago, madmen said:

its a Buddhist thing. If your disabled you must have been bad in your previous life o you deserve it,

but what can you expect from a nation that still believes in ghosts

Are you saying that ghosts are not real................I'm thoroughly disillusioned now. Next thing you'll be telling me is that the amulets don't work!! 

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

I wonder whether the planners ever consult with disabled people about their needs.

Doubtful. Also, there is no consideration for pedestrians. At a new place like this there should be dedicated pedestrian walkwys. A bloke with a loud whistle is as good as it gets.

Archived