Thai Government to take a cut of rescued soccer team's major movie deal

webfact

Thai Government to take a cut of rescued soccer team's major movie deal

By South-East Asia correspondent Liam Cochrane

10010498-3x2-700x467.jpg

PHOTO: Two film companies are competing for the rights to tell the story of the boys' rescue. (Reuters: Soe Zeya Tun)

The Thai Government is planning to take a substantial share of a major movie deal signed with the families of the rescued Wild Boars soccer team.

The long-running negotiations over film rights are getting closer to a deal, according to two sources with knowledge of the talks, who asked not to be identified because of possible reprisals from the Thai Government.

The ABC understands representatives of two competing film companies will meet with family members on February 25 to discuss their offers.

Full story: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-20/thai-government-to-take-cut-of-cave-soccer-teams-movie-deal/10830980?fbclid=IwAR2aKS6LYKZnpMneq8ak5Bi4Db_IXuqU1rQW6M83ILfeCEsOih5u1WhdI34

-- ABC News 2019-02-20

7 hours ago, Creasy said:

Filthy pigs at the trough.

7 hours ago, Eligius said:

Surprise, surprise! Who would ever, in their wildest dreams, have anticipated this!!

I cannot agree,the actions of the boys cost one rescuer his life and substantial cost to the government...only fair and right in my opinion that some of this should be recovered :thumbsup:

If true, this is outrageous. There is no legal justification whatsoever why a national government would demand a "substantial share" of a business deal between what I must assume to be two private entities, i.e. a film studio and the Thirteen Tham Luang Co Ltd that reportedly was registered by the boys' families.

That this alleged profit-napping cannot be above board and is not transparent at all is already indicated by this:

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

two sources with knowledge of the talks, who asked not to be identified because of possible reprisals from the Thai Government.

Why would there be any "possible reprisals" if everything was kosher?

55 minutes ago, petermik said:

I cannot agree,the actions of the boys cost one rescuer his life and substantial cost to the government...only fair and right in my opinion that some of this should be recovered :thumbsup:

No, not fair as there is little chance this money will go to replace public funds used, it will find it's way into the pockets of junta leaders. 

I would imagine the cost to save the boys cost the Thai government a small fortune that could have been used in other areas, had they not ventured so far into the cave in the first place and as one poster said, it cost the life of one retired navy seal and 4 rescuers being trapped themselves and needing rescuing.

I see no problem with the Thai government recouping all or part of the funds, as long as it goes back into where it was originally intended to go, add to that the shutting of the cave/s during the rain season, and better signage, training for rescuers, again as mentioned by another poster.

Sure some might not agree and look at it as a money grab, but seriously, why should the public be held accountable to foot the bill, it's a win/win situation in my opinion.

That said, I hope these two film companies seeking to close the deal, pay the right price and not take advantage of the mostly uneducated Thai's when it comes to money matters, when comparing what these film companies will be raking in when you translate the money into western currencies at the box office.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would imagine the cost to save the boys cost the Thai government a small fortune that could have been used in other areas, had they not ventured so far into the cave in the first place and as one poster said, it cost the life of one retired navy seal and 4 rescuers being trapped themselves and needing rescuing.

I see no problem with the Thai government recouping all or part of the funds, as long as it goes back into where it was originally intended to go, add to that the shutting of the cave/s during the rain season, and better signage, training for rescuers, again as mentioned by another poster.

Sure some might not agree and look at it as a money grab, but seriously, why should the public be held accountable to foot the bill, it's a win/win situation in my opinion.

That said, I hope these two film companies seeking to close the deal, pay the right price and not take advantage of the mostly uneducated Thai's when it comes to money matters, when comparing what these film companies will be raking in when you translate the money into western currencies at the box office.

They were children under the direction of an adult.

They and their families owe the State nothing.

22 minutes ago, Enoon said:

They were children under the direction of an adult.

They and their families owe the State nothing.

What a selfish comment.

It would be common decency for the families to thank the Thai government for returning their loved ones to safety after putting all their's and the international communities efforts into it, at a cost to the Thai's, the money spent could be returning as a % of the monies they are about to receive from the movie deal, for without the Thai government's HELP, they would not be here, would they.

But as one can see in society, it's all about the money, money, money, or what one can get for one's self, not remembering the cost and who bore it, isn't it.

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

Surprise, surprise! Who would ever, in their wildest dreams, have anticipated this!!

A few of us dumb farang who can't understand Thailand mentioned this early on when we learned the government was trying to control who would make the movie (Hollywood vs local). I know you know ????

I would have thought that a story originating in Thailand that has a happy ending would be enough for the government to feel satisfied.  But, yet again, the scales have to be tipped, showing the yearning for more baht being #1 on the agenda, no matter what.

I do not think this movie will make much at the box office any way. The movie "The 33" about the trapped Chilean miners was kind of a dud. Production cost about 25,000,000.00 and total worldwide box office of 26,000,000.00 (USD). This doesn't count residuals; DVD, NETFLIX, etc. but that won't amount to very much more. I doubt Hollywood will touch this. More than likely an Asian production company will do it. I could be wrong.....

You should read the full linked article, some interesting comments towards the end attributed to the parents and their ‘treatment’ by the government.

Anyway, I can’t really see this being a big production or financial success (if it ever happens), so I am not really bothered.????

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

A Chinese submarine?

Archived