When do the good time start

Bluetongue

About 10 years ago my Australian doctor diagnosed me as pre type 2 diabetic. My levels were just above 6 (about 108-110 US). I've taken 1 x 500mg metformin for years since. In November just gone i did another blood test and in December she told me the control was showing 16 or about 300US. She got me to join a government scheme for diabetics, the primary aim of which was to get a subsidised meter and test strips, I couldn't wait (as I was coming back here early new year) so I bought one on line. She doubled the dose of metformin and got me thinking about diet. I maintained about a 60 hour work week throughout. On 28 December I took my first reading and it was 22.4 or nearly 400 US. Anyway by the time I got back here on the 7th of January it was about 16 again. So I stopped drinking beer, the missus got all sorts of herbal things going, I cut out bread and most kanom, and withing 2 weeks it was under 6, the lowest reading was 5.3 and it has stayed around there. I've had a few drinks here and there mainly whisky and soda only beers once. So far it has been 7 weeks and I've relaxed the diet a bit but as  I was bored of drinking 4 bottles of beer every night it seems that has stopped and I'm now just a periodic social drinker. i did drink beer at that rate for a long time, maybe 20 years.

So I didn't get to see the doctor again before I left, wont see her until May. i'm wondering whether I should reduce the metformin back to what it was. Secondly I just feel pretty ordinary, a few headaches which I've never had, succumbed to 2 fearsome colds and extremely sore and at one stage swollen feet. I thought I'd be getting a much bigger boost from the lifestyle change but so far it is underwhelming. i've had no trouble sleeping but some pretty weird nightmares. Any comments appreciated.

The title of your post "When do the good times start" I suggest to you that the relativley minor changes to your diet HAS worked. A stable 5.3 mmol is not so bad

Ranges of blood sugar for young healthy non-diabetic adults: are in this range USA/world figures.

1. Fasting blood sugar: 70–90 mg/dl (3.9–5.0 mmol/l)
  2. One hour after a typical meal: 90–125 mg/dl (5.00–6.9 mmol/l)
  3. Two hours after a typical meal: 90–110 mg/dl (5.00–6.1 mmol/l)
  4. Five hours after a typical meal: 70–90 mg/dl (3.9–5.00 mmol/l)

You should see a local doctor to get advice on medication changes. There could possibly be ramifications.

Your changes to your eating patterns can be daunting at first, however, if you want to live a long healthy life, they are worth pursuing. I cannot even begin to tell you how much it has helped me.

Thailand has an abundance of "jay" eating places, Chiang Mai (And suburbs) has more than 300 eating places and some amazing food.

Things will get better.. Just give it time - after all it took you a while to eat & drink yourself to the state you are currently in.

Fasting blood sugar is not the best indicator of your metabolic state. Try testing in the hours after eating, or preferably get a fasting insulin test and check your Hba1c.

You can reverse your diabetic symptoms and remove the need for medication by changing what you eat by substantially reducing your carbohydrate intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Agree Hb1ac is best indicator.

If the numbers you report are fasting glucose then your diabetes was severe. It has now improved to around normal but hb1ac would be best gauge of that.

Do not alter your metformin dose on your own, see your doctor. Good chance you can cut back now, but don't try it on your own.

And don't relax the diet/lifestyle changes much, they are essential.

It is possible the headaches are a side effect of the metformin (in which case may improve with dose reduction) OR could be hypoglycemia, suggest you check your BS when you have them. If you do not have a home glucose monitor, get one.

Nightmares might be due to hypoglycemia during sleep. Try a high protein snack just before bed. (High protein, not high carb - high carb will send your BS up and then plummeting down, high protein will help keep more steady state).

If you are having hypoglycemic episodes then adjusting the dosage needs to be done soon so please see your doctor soon.

You need to understand that with diabetes control what you gain  are all the things that don't happen:

- loss of limbs

- blindness

- kidney failure

- premature heart disease

etc etc

I get the HB1AC every few months in Australia, I have a blood glucose meter at home here. Both readings were high, but the daily test is now low. I could pay for a HB1AC here now but as I understand it it measures over a period of 3 months, for me no lifestyle change was made until halfway through that period, so there doesn't seem much point yet. As far as seeing a doctor here, I did speak to one a few years back and he didn't consider a slightly elevated reading to be a problem but I wouldn't bother going back.

OK so there is not much feeling better about this it is more about much worse things not happening. I will report back if things alter. 

3 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

I get the HB1AC every few months in Australia, I have a blood glucose meter at home here. Both readings were high, but the daily test is now low. I could pay for a HB1AC here now but as I understand it it measures over a period of 3 months, for me no lifestyle change was made until halfway through that period, so there doesn't seem much point yet. As far as seeing a doctor here, I did speak to one a few years back and he didn't consider a slightly elevated reading to be a problem but I wouldn't bother going back.

OK so there is not much feeling better about this it is more about much worse things not happening. I will report back if things alter. 

Do check your BS when you get the headaches though - if the headaches are from hypoglycemia you need to act sooner rather than later.

And do try the bedtime high protein snack to see if it helps.

Archived