Booze ban: Far less die on the Thai roads on Tuesday's Buddhist holiday

webfact

Booze ban: Far less die on the Thai roads on Tuesday's Buddhist holiday

screenshot_8729.jpg

Those who say that banning alcohol would have a dramatic effect on lessening the carnage on Thai roads might feel their opinion is vindicated after stats showed far less than average died on Tuesday - a Buddhist holiday when sales of alcohol were banned. 

While Monday showed that 71 perished on the roads only 24 deaths were reported on Tuesday.

The average for the month is about 42 per day. 

Only on one day - February 2nd that was a Saturday and not an alcohol free day - had less deaths with 23 fatalities reported. 

Earlier in the week the Road Safety Academic Center claimed that on Buddhist holidays around half the usual fatalities were reported. And the booze ban saw a dramatic reduction in injuries too.

The latest figures from Daily News - who made no correlation with driving and alcohol - said that 2,213 had died on the roads since the start of 2019.

Some 800 had perished so far in February. 

Untitled-2.jpg

They stressed that the figures are unofficial meaning that they are likely to rise when deaths at hospitals are added to those that happen at the scene. 

In their latest report they showed the death of a motorcyclist in Lampang who failed to negotiate a bend and smacked into a campaign poster nailed to a roadside tree. 

And in a video a motorcyclist was seen coming off a bike in front of an approaching car after being side-swiped by a pick-up truck. 

Daily News publish the figures daily in an ongoing campaign to raise awareness about the carnage on the Thai roads that has seen them named as some of the most dangerous in the world. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-21

Alcohol may have played some part, but there will have been FAR less vehicles on the road on Tuesday. As I said in another thread, driving around Bangkok on Tuesday was a dream as it felt so quiet.

If you look at the image above the weekends generally have less fatalities, sometimes more than half. Alcohol is not the only reason as they're incompetently suggesting. 

Less vehicles on the road = Less accidents.

13 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Alcohol may have played some part, but there will have been FAR less vehicles on the road on Tuesday. As I said in another thread, driving around Bangkok on Tuesday was a dream as it felt so quiet.

If you look at the image above the weekends generally have less fatalities, sometimes more than half. Alcohol is not the only reason as they're incompetently suggesting. 

Spot on. They've completely misattributed this. The roads were way quieter on Tuesday, so less scooter accidents to be had. 

People who want to drink will find a way to find alcohol on those days, whether it's stockpiling the day before or whether it's going to someone who sells it anyway because they pay off the local police. 

Final thought - it's a sad day when a country brags about only 24 people dying on their roads that day. I wonder how many of those 24 were otherwise preventable through helmet use, speed, vehicle condition etc

2 hours ago, webfact said:

While Monday showed that 71 perished on the roads only 24 deaths were reported on Tuesday.

Average is 42.5

The average for the month is about 42 per day. 

Got to keep the average up!

Alcohol sales may have been banned and the roads were very quiet but I was still stopped for a breath check on my way home from greeting friends who arrived from Canada that day. For those who think that the police are doing nothing, this was the 6th time I have been stopped and checked in the last 4 months or so and I rarely go out. Between Pattaya and Jomtien the breath checks are set up regularly. In the past 40 years of driving in Canada, zero breath checks.

32 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Alcohol sales may have been banned and the roads were very quiet but I was still stopped for a breath check on my way home from greeting friends who arrived from Canada that day. For those who think that the police are doing nothing, this was the 6th time I have been stopped and checked in the last 4 months or so and I rarely go out. Between Pattaya and Jomtien the breath checks are set up regularly. In the past 40 years of driving in Canada, zero breath checks.

Great money spinner, can demand a much bigger “fine” from a drunk driver than a no licence or no helmet motorcyclist.

35 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

Notice all the low days were weekends when not so much traffic on roads. One day off not enough time to travel to Issan to see family so low traffic. Song Kran everybody goes home and carnage.

The weekends are low because they have not reported the figures yet. The weekday figures get reported much quicker. 

Rooster

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Well, of course there were less fatalities on Tuesday; all the law-abiding drivers were parked-up near their watering hole!

What about Wednesday, the day after, when the pissed-up, law-abiding drivers were back in the harness!  How many fatalities on that day?

If you want to drink why even drive? A ride home is fairly cheap. I can get a motorbike  from my local bars to home for 60 baht. If I'm in to rough of shape for a bike a car ride from one of motorbike drivers for 200 baht or Blue & Yellow taxi for 400 baht. Fairly cheap considering what the alternatives are...

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

For my 17 yrs living at Jomtien Beach, breath check ONE (1) time, and that was at a trip up in Isaan, outside Ban Kruat...!

19 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Definitely a link between the number of vehicles on the roads & the number of associated accidents.

Weekends being quieter and Monday going back to mayhem!

I'm not saying alcohol doesn't play a apart but anyone who is under the influence is less likely to come a cropper, I think they will dink & drive as normal but less cars mean less obstacles to try and avoid!

Archived