What border coming from Cambodia?

After reading too many different opinions my head is spinning, i was almost sure we can go in visa exempt( in 2018 had - 2 SETV for 6 months + 1 visa exempt 2 weeks).

Then one guy said "6 months inside on the previous year" , is enough to get you into problems in Bangkok airports. (link at the end)

So i don't want to get denied and separated on the border ( Western+vietnamese), and I think going from Kampot by land.

What is a GOOD border, having everything we need (onward flight/hotel/20k) close to Kampot ?

Final destination is Surathani.

Thanks.

I would be incline to go via Koh Kong/Hat Lek (Trad). It is a long journey once in Thailand to get to Surat Thani. There is an airport in Trad (owned by Bangkok Airways) but the airfares are very high. If on a budget, you are probably looking at over 12 hours via Bangkok (following  about a 4-5 hour journey to Koh Kong)

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

OP, you're a master of suspense, I thought you're already on your way.

I agree with @BritTim. I've used the Koh Kong border quite a few times and I don't expect any problems entering there. In case our OP is wondering, that's the same border @ubonjoe had suggested in an earlier thread (Cham Yeam).

Me too! ...you can lead a horse to water but.....

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

From kampot ur only real choice is Koh Kong, 

Others are far north and you need head to Phnom Penh first.

There is one other option I might consider. You could fly from Kampot to Siem Reap and head to a border from there. If Poipet/Aran was a friendly crossing, I might even recommend this.

14 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

when did kampot get an airport???

and siem rep to Osmach or even Poi Pet  is not very close to Kampot and ur going in the opposite direction to where he wants to head ( south to ST)

Rubbish. And your suggestion taking ferry, pataya to hua hin to avoid bkk?

Nonsense. He wants to get to Surat thank. That is domestic once in Thailand.  The avoidance of bkk airport was about flying into Thailand fron OYTSIDE. Having said all that the op has about 4 threads about this topic. Now currently on south coast Cambodia. Read all his threads. Was in pp trying for setv, then here and there. Many including myself have suggested options. Even flying to Vientiane and border crossing VE. His reply $600. 

Frankly stupid to go pp for setv in first place. 4 threads about stupidity. Surprised the experts have been so tolerance. I'm awaiting another thread from op tomorrow. I might also start one.. Grow Some.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nonsense. He wants to get to Surat thank. That is domestic once in Thailand.  The avoidance of bkk airport was about flying into Thailand fron OYTSIDE. Having said all that the op has about 4 threads about this topic. Now currently on south coast Cambodia. Read all his threads. Was in pp trying for setv, then here and there. Many including myself have suggested options. Even flying to Vientiane and border crossing VE. His reply $600. 
Frankly stupid to go pp for setv in first place. 4 threads about stupidity. Surprised the experts have been so tolerance. I'm awaiting another thread from op tomorrow. I might also start one.. Grow Some.
I was interested about Kampot Airport? I have only been there once but don't think there is an airport. If there is it must be a small one.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

I was interested about Kampot Airport? I have only been there once but don't think there is an airport. If there is it must be a small one.

Think trat airport is owned by bangkok airways, bit like koh sumai. If so flights ridiculous expensive. 

Same when I fly bkk to go suami I always fly AA Bkk to Surat than then ferry after bus. Half price or less. The airport your asking about for op is trat.

20 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Oh ?

Hmmm.

I once worked  with a person  who  he and  is  wife had  problems  with  having  children. They resorted , with success,  to  artificial insemination. They  named  their  son  "Jack".

Visa related? No

OP related? No.

Issue related? Yes

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

when did kampot get an airport???

I am not sure exactly, but at leas five years ago. The airport is small, but has frequent flights to Siem Reap.

In theory (if Poipet was a viable crossing to use) flying to Siem Reap and from there to Bangkok would save several hours over the (yes, more direct) route all by land through Koh Kong.

Thanks all of you for making fun of a couple in trouble, that ask a lot because the conflicting info here.

That makes me sad.

What amazing is that even though it looks like all of you one hand against my stupidity, you all keep providing conflicting information.

One “expert” says I am scared for no reason and I should be fine in BKK, the others say I will have a problem with 2 SETV from 2018.

Reason I keep asking is because everyday I read another “expert” with a different opinion.

if you where serious and “smart” as you think you are(not a rocket science) you would already have a REAL statistics for each case, at least based on the data here.

That should be a very simple software to write based on simple time frame statistics but I don’t think it’s for you.

Your head is somewhere there in the sky because you are “an expert for living in TH”. And I spend your time.

Thanks for the “help” and patience.

Try at least to set up one single line with each other regarding your opinions otherwise don’t complain that people keep asking.

Will not bother the “expert” anymore.

They must be busy with their Thai girls.

27 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Thanks all of you for making fun of a couple in trouble, that ask a lot because the conflicting info here.

That makes me sad.

What amazing is that even though it looks like all of you one hand against my stupidity, you all keep providing conflicting information.

One “expert” says I am scared for no reason and I should be fine in BKK, the others say I will have a problem with 2 SETV from 2018.

Reason I keep asking is because everyday I read another “expert” with a different opinion.

if you where serious and “smart” as you think you are(not a rocket science) you would already have a REAL statistics for each case, at least based on the data here.

That should be a very simple software to write based on simple time frame statistics but I don’t think it’s for you.

Your head is somewhere there in the sky because you are “an expert for living in TH”. And I spend your time.

Thanks for the “help” and patience.

Try at least to set up one single line with each other regarding your opinions otherwise don’t complain that people keep asking.

Boo hoo ....first of all you should not have gone to pp for setv. Then you go seaside and ask how to enter Thailand. You have been given sound advice from experts such as ubonjoe. In fact a few times. 

The conflicting advice is in part due to inconsistency with immigration officers. Added to that, there seems to bit more "questioning" of tourists particularly at airports in recent months. Forget about Thaivisa for one moment. Ask yourself how you ended up in kampot after running around in Cambodia initially with intention of obtaining setv in pp.

If you had spoken to anyone of the people that have tried to assist you on TV before you went to pp and then to kampot you would not be in this situation. Personally I would have suggested Surat thani to udon thani then minibus non khai. Try a bounce reenter visa exempt. If doesn't work Vientiane for setv. Enter by border 100% safe and cheap flight to Surat thani AirAsia.

Enjoy kampot. Step up man. Having 3or more threads won't help. Nor will blaming others.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

38 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

That makes me sad.

There IS NO WAY TO KNOW what IOs will do at lawless entry points.  All you can get are opinions based on "What I would do" from various people.

Who?  The owners of this site?  Even if done, it would be based on incomplete data - just reports here - so the "odds" generated would not help.

If you think people here agree on much, you haven't been reading closely.  This is just a collection of individuals.  Some think the "random lottery" at the airport is a good thing.  Some want every Western person who isn't rich kicked out of Thailand. 

You Will Never Get a "for sure" what could happen at the airport, because they do not follow any published standard.  If that frustrates you, I can assure you, you are not alone.  Many of us here find it outrageous, repulsive, and an insult to the country that this sad state of affairs is allowed to continue at Thailand's capital-city airports.

Attacking the messengers for not possessing the powers of the Oracle of Delphi will not change anything.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am not sure exactly, but at leas five years ago. The airport is small, but has frequent flights to Siem Reap.

In theory (if Poipet was a viable crossing to use) flying to Siem Reap and from there to Bangkok would save several hours over the (yes, more direct) route all by land through Koh Kong.

there is NO AIRPORT IN KAMPOT<there is a small one in shinoukville that has direct fights to Siem Rep

Nearest airports to Kampot

1. Phu Quoc International Airport (30.3 miles / 48.7 kilometers)
  2. Sihanouk International Airport (37.1 miles / 59.7 kilometers)
  3. Phnom Penh International Airport (78.8 miles / 126.9 kilometers)
  4. Rach Gia Airport (78.9 miles / 127.0 kilometers)
Edited by phuketrichard

OP, you've been told by many that "any land border except for Poipet will be fine". Most of the discussion regarding which one to choose is more about logistics relative to your current location than possible immigration troubles.

As for "inconsistencies", that just reflects that the Thai officialdom is inconsistent with regards to long-term visitors on tourist visa. If you want to keep doing what you are doing, you will need to deal with that uncertainty.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your post would have merit were it not for the salutation and liberal sprinkling of uncivil comments. Sure glad I have never met you face-to-face asking for directions.

Keep asking what am I doing in Kampot if I want a visa to Thailand, maybe I just.... wanted to be in Kampot? And not that stupid as you might think?

Maybe I asked about PP AFTER I went there? God.

the one you all say I should listen to, he said go by airplane you will be fine because last entrance was 2 months ago.

and at the same time you advice me go to the border.

So? Am I that stupid to keep asking?

i am still confused.

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

there is NO AIRPORT IN KAMPOT<there is a small one in shinoukville that has direct fights to Siem Rep

Kampot Airport (IATA code KMT) most certainly does exist. It is about 20 km outside town. However, it is true that there are no scheduled flights from there to Siem Reap. You must, indeed, fly from Sihanoukville which makes it even less attractive an option.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Kampot Airport (IATA code KMT) most certainly does exist. It is about 20 km outside town. However, it is true that there are no scheduled flights from there to Siem Reap. You must, indeed, fly from Sihanoukville which makes it even less attractive an option.

are there flights to anywhere?

none seem to be listed on any sites.

As to the op

NOBODY can tell you what will happen when you show up at any land border or at the  airport immigration. 

Crystal balls don't work in SE Asia

Edited by phuketrichard

Think trat airport is owned by bangkok airways, bit like koh sumai. If so flights ridiculous expensive. 
Same when I fly bkk to go suami I always fly AA Bkk to Surat than then ferry after bus. Half price or less. The airport your asking about for op is trat.
Yes Trat airport is owned by Bangkok Airways.